PDA

View Full Version : risks of speculum

Dvil
30-05-2008, 15:01
so tomorrow, my friend and I are going to be playing a scenario in a campaign we're doing. I am Empire and he is Daemons. One of my objectives here is to wound/kill all of his characters.

I am planning on the old shadow wizard with speculum to take out his uber-general, but the problem is that he only has 1000 points to deal with. This means that his general will most probably be a herald in a unit. I don't know much about daemons so I'm asking: is it possible for me to kill his general before outnumber/fear cause me to flee? I basically want to know if the speculum can allow me to slay a herald in one turn of combat.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 15:57
I don't think it's worth it. First you have to pass a fear test to charge, then not only will there be a champ to take your challenge rather than the herald, but you probably won't kill him and then you will autobreak.

Better off just charging the unit and directing your attacks against the herald.

Do you know what type of deamons he plays?

Dvil
30-05-2008, 16:03
He usually goes with Khorne, but I've heard him mention that he wants to mix his daemons up a bit. I haven't actually played his Daemons yet, I'm just basing the Khorne thing on past encounters with his Hordes of Chaos.

And he's not the most competent of players, so I'm imagining that he will actually accept with the herald.
As for the fear test thing, I'm deploying him near my battle standard bearer, with the re-roll psychology tests banner.
If the speculum doesn't kill it I will have the BSB coming up behind with 20 gretswords, and covering fire from 20 handgunners and 2 helblasters.

Malorian
30-05-2008, 16:15
If he's khorne than just shoot him. Bloodletters are only T3 with a 5+ save. Handguns/crossbows will rip them apart, and then when they get to your line your great swords will easily deal with them.

I'd save the points from the ninja mage and use it to get a couple of missile units and a detachment for the great swords.

RavenBloodwind
30-05-2008, 16:22
As Malorian has suggested, probably an unnecessary gamble with the speculum wizard.

Given the 1000 pt level and his apparent propensity to use Khorne, you would probably be better served with a warrior priest joining the big block of greatswords for that oh-so-lovely hatred.

I've played a couple of games against a mixed slaanesh/khorne list and the bloodletters go down to shooting VERY easily.

Dvil
30-05-2008, 16:23
I'd save the points from the ninja mage and use it to get a couple of missile units and a detachment for the great swords.

That seems quite a lot for the cost of one wizard. I wasted a fair few points on him and he only costs 145.

Dvil
30-05-2008, 16:26
Given the 1000 pt level and his apparent propensity to use Khorne, you would probably be better served with a warrior priest joining the big block of greatswords for that oh-so-lovely hatred.

Sounds good. Due to funky deployment (and army size) rules in the scenario I have 9 knights with an arch lector coming in from the other flank.

Shamfrit
30-05-2008, 16:30
You know, people know a wizard with have the Speculum. Mix it up a little, put it on a Warrior Priest. Charge into combat, do everything you can to make him Unbreakable and then challenge with you Priest who's going nowhere.

Dvil
30-05-2008, 16:44
Well, he doesn't game a great deal apart from our group of friends, so I doubt he actually knows about the speculum. However, I imagine he is still shrewd enough to suspect something when I challenge with a wizard.
Are you sure about a Warrior Priest? Because they have decent combat stats, so will be more liable to being killed with the speculum (I don't know herald stats).

Dvil
30-05-2008, 17:27
By the way, if anyone wants me to post rules and a map for this scenario, just ask.

RavenBloodwind
30-05-2008, 19:09
A warrior priests stats will be hard pressed to combat a demonic heralds stats. That said, I wouldn't worry about the speculum at all. If you shoot the bejeezus out of the generals unit before combat is joined then you're likely as not to destroy him with static CR anyway. Assuming he challenged and did max overkill on your unit champion but you've shot away all his ranks you should still win by at least 1 (ranks, banner, BSB, numbers). If he has a less-than-stellar round of rolls he could easily be losing combat by 4 before you do a wound. His Ld of 9 won't keep him alive all that long with those kinds of odds.

Dvil
30-05-2008, 20:00
Damn it! I really need to explain the scenario.

Okay, he's deploying (with 1000pts) in some ruins in the middle, which have a 12" radius. I deploy (with 2000pts) within 6" of any table edge.

To even this out a bit, my objective is quite difficult.
One objective is to wound/kill all characters. The other is to take control of a lodestone in the centre of the ruins. This lodestone makes all Daemons within 6" immune to instability. I'm slightly hoping missile fire can force him to come to me, and that fast moving stuff can rush in and either assassinate (as in speculum) or claim the lodestone for me.

Dvil
30-05-2008, 20:53
A warrior priest with sword of battle and the speculum costs 4 points fewer than the wizard! Yayness!