PDA

View Full Version : HE 2250 Comp Friendly

fyrblckdragon
30-05-2008, 16:33
This is my first attempt to create a list that is at least 40% core with max 25% in Special and less than 10% Rare (Yes, there is a named character- so be it)

My question is how competitive could this build be?

Lords+Heroes-
Alith Anar
Noble, with Reaver Bow, Talisman Loec, Hvy A, Shield
Noble, with Longbow, White Sword, Hvy A, Shield

527 pts

Core-
3 x 10 Archers
4 x 15 Spearmen, Full Command

970 pts

Special-

10 Shadow Warriors
7 Shadow Warriors
15 Sword Masters- Full Command, Banner of Arcane Protection

552 pts

Rare-

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers

Total- 2249 pts, 131 Models

Kai Itzah
30-05-2008, 17:01
I think it will work personally because the amount of missile fire it has, but I don't think it will be a very interesting game.

Andrew Luke
30-05-2008, 18:47
Maybe try some Sea Guard, they are a really underrated core choice and sure to bump your comp score. Also, whats your reasoning behind the special character? Do you already have the model? I feel like you'd be better off with a level 2 mage and more troops in most cases. Also 15 Swordmasters is probably too many. They should be active CR only, static CR isn't worth the points. I'd run them at 10-12 six wide and then use those points to get something fast. Your list is quite slow.

fyrblckdragon
30-05-2008, 20:28
Alith Anar is cheaper than any other equivalent scouting character, and does more for the points. With the moonbow, he has the potential to scout on a cav flank, and do some damage turn one.

The only reason I didn't include one mage, is that with magic, I have found the need to go all or nothing, some magic never seemed to work. This way, I skip magic in favor of shooting.

It is slow, but I doubt I'd really have any flanks exposed with eight infantry units.

The problem with cav is that they eat up the 560 pts really fast, and shrink the army fairly quickly. I have done a mostly cav force before, but it definitely wasn't comp friendly.

I guess the other main idea behind this list was to allow me to learn how to move large infantry blocks effectively, and use CR+ shooting to win the day, rather than characters of doom, or sledgehammer units.

Xzazzarai
30-05-2008, 22:41
2 mages would actually do better in that list than the 2 nobels.
Why?
Curse of arrow attraction.
Allso, you will need som sort of magic protection.

If you face a heavily armoured force (Brets, Chaos etc) you will be in BIG trouble.
Allso, you're lacking in movement, magic AND hittingpower.
You should at least try to get som eagles in there to marchblock. Maybe your shadow warriors will try to fill that role, but the eagles are superior in terms of marchblocking.

I think this army has too many weaknesses to be effektive.

Though, I do think it'll be pretty fun to play against.

fyrblckdragon
31-05-2008, 06:39
How about this one? Still keep 900 pts in core and less than 500 in special, adds a mage and more bows :) , with the added bonus that I actually can field it with models I already own.

Lords+Heroes-
Alith Anar
Noble, with Reaver Bow, Talisman Loec, Lgt A, Shield
Noble, with White Sword, Lgt A, Shield
Mage, 2 Dispel Scrolls

653 pts

Core-
3 x 10 Archers
2 x 15 Seaguard, Full Command, Shields
1x 15 Spears, Full Command

930 pts

Special-

10 Shadow Warriors
5 Shadow Warriors
6 Sword Masters- std, Banner of Arcane Protection

367 pts

Rare-

2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
2 Great Eagles

Total- 2250 pts, 107 Models

Andrew Luke
31-05-2008, 19:42
I like it a lot, only down side is now you have 4 chars. I think effectiveness-wise the second noble might have trouble earning his points over a mage or bulking out your infantry. with your current unit sizes If you take casualties you are losing attacks. Its always good to have a few wounds to lose before losing effectiveness. I'd give it 4/5. I reserve fives for armies that are really unique, soft and fluffy, so don't take it personally :-D

Xzazzarai
31-05-2008, 23:40
Drop 5 shadow warriors from the bigger unit and add as many SM as you can.
Or, drop the spears as well and turn them in to WL or PG along with the SM.
Shadow warriors tend to work best in small groups.
If you still want them, you could allways split them into 3 groups of 5.

The noble with the white sword doesn't seem too good. He will get killed, QUICK! Give him a common GW and armour of caledor - a cheap but very effective gear! Though, he doesn't seem to have a clearly specified role in the army. What's his purpose?
Allso, if you can find the pts, give your other Noble heavy armour or even better, Dragon armour.

Keep in mind, that HE are an extreme elite force. You only need 2 core choices for a 2K game, and are allowed more special and rare than any other.
Just a thought. =)

The list is a bit odd and nothing I'd play myself, but I'd like to see it on the table as either opponent or spectator. =)