PDA

View Full Version : First 2K List - Dark Elves

Tsear
30-05-2008, 20:12
My friends and I have been playing 40k, but I read the fantasy rulebook the other day and its rules seem much more interesting. I'm going to be playing a few proxy games with my friends codices, so my choices are a bit limited atm but that shouldn't matter for just getting a feel for the game. What's odd is how I honestly don't know what's good or not, what ranks to keep units in, how many models I should have, and so and so forth. Having put forth that disclaimer:

2K Dark Elves

Darkelf Highborn
Sword of Might, Blood Armor, Black Amulet
Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield
Mounted on a Black Dragon

Total: 553

Assassin
Chill Blade, Dark Venom

Total:155

Noble
Lance, Heavy Armor, Shield, Dragon Cloak
Mounted on a Cold One
Seal of Ghrond

Total: 137

Sorceress Lvl 2
Dispel Scroll, Seal of Ghrond

Total: 140

Ten Cold One Knights, Standard: 308

Twenty Corsairs, Champion/Standard: 220

Once again, I don't know if that many characters is a good thing or not, but it's a bit hard to tell from paper with no experience.

The idea is that the corsairs will march forward, with an assassin/sorceress in their ranks. The general will stay behind the three squads at first so they can use his LD for any tests, then will fly to charge the rear or flank of a squad if he doesn't decide to fight some other scary HQ choice. The Noble goes with the cavalry to give them better LD, hopefully removing some stupidity penalties.

Kai Itzah
31-05-2008, 09:32
First of all, you cannot have two pieces of armour. You cannot have Heavy Armour and Blood Armour, but you can have the Sea Dragon Cloak. And, you cannot have two of the same item (Seal of Ghrond).

After that, I think the main issue you will be having with this army is that you have spent waaaaay too much on characters. You need to make sure your army has the proper diversity. This is what I would recommend.

First, drop the Assassin, uneeded extra support in this situation - you may also want to note here that you cannot take Dark Venom and a magic weapon - it only works on mundane weapons. Then I'd drop two, if not three units of Corsairs, it's really your choice. Though they are a very useful and versatile unit, you really need points space for something else. With that gargantuan amoujnt of free points I'd get 2 units of 5 Harpies - war machine and mage hunting crews - 2 units of 20 Dark Elf Warriors with Shields and Standard Bearers and a unit of 6 Dark Riders with Herald and Repeater Crossbows, so the list would look like this.

Dark Elf Highborn on Black Dragon - Sword of Might, Blood Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Black Amulet.

Dark Elf Noble on Cold One - Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Seal of Ghrond.

Sorceress on Dark Steed - Level 2, Darkstar Cloak, Lifetaker.

20 Corsairs - Reaver, Standard Bearer.

20 Dark Elf Warriors - Standard Bearer.

5 Dark Riders - Herald, Repeater Crossbows.

10 Cold One Knights - Standard Bearer.

10 Harpies.

I decided at the last minute to drop the Sorceress among the Dark Riders - with the Lifetaker she's even better than them as it doesn't rely on any of her abilities :D

P.S. New Dark Elves are coming out in July just to let you know before you buy loads of models that are getting re-done (Corsairs, Cold One Knights, Hydra and the characters are getting re-done).

Gimp
31-05-2008, 12:56
You have too many characters remember that a Dragon takes up an extra hero slot so at the moment you have 5 heros. Drop the Assassin to get more points.

You cant have 2 Seal of Ghronds

You also have to heavy armour and blood armour which you cant do.

The Dragon is cool but the Black Amulet only gives you a ward save in close combat drop it for the Crown of Black Iron. It also makes your lord and mount immune to Light and High magic which is a small bonus.

Block of 20 for Warriors is good but for Corsairs its too much. 18 is better but have them 6 wide.

Gimp
31-05-2008, 12:59
First of all, you cannot have two pieces of armour. You cannot have Heavy Armour and Blood Armour, but you can have the Sea Dragon Cloak. And, you cannot have two of the same item (Seal of Ghrond).

After that, I think the main issue you will be having with this army is that you have spent waaaaay too much on characters. You need to make sure your army has the proper diversity. This is what I would recommend.

First, drop the Assassin, uneeded extra support in this situation - you may also want to note here that you cannot take Dark Venom and a magic weapon - it only works on mundane weapons. Then I'd drop two, if not three units of Corsairs, it's really your choice. Though they are a very useful and versatile unit, you really need points space for something else. With that gargantuan amoujnt of free points I'd get 2 units of 5 Harpies - war machine and mage hunting crews - 2 units of 20 Dark Elf Warriors with Shields and Standard Bearers and a unit of 6 Dark Riders with Herald and Repeater Crossbows, so the list would look like this.

Dark Elf Highborn on Black Dragon - Sword of Might, Blood Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Black Amulet.

Dark Elf Noble on Cold One - Lance, Heavy Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Shield, Seal of Ghrond.

Sorceress on Dark Steed - Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Lifetaker.

20 Corsairs - Reaver, Standard Bearer.

5 Dark Riders - Herald, Repeater Crossbows.

10 Cold One Knights - Standard Bearer.

5 Harpies.

5 Harpies.

I decided at the last minute to drop the Sorceress among the Dark Riders - with the Lifetaker she's even better than them as it doesn't rely on any of her abilities :D

P.S. New Dark Elves are coming out in July just to let you know before you buy loads of models that are getting re-done (Corsairs, Cold One Knights, Hydra and the characters are getting re-done).

I have some problems with this list.

First your Sorceress has a Dispel Scroll (25 pts) and Lifetaker (30 pts) which is 55 pts and thus 5 pts over the limit.

Second is that harpies are a 0-1 choice thus you cant have more than 1 unit and this list has 2

Kai Itzah
31-05-2008, 13:17
I have some problems with this list.

First your Sorceress has a Dispel Scroll (25 pts) and Lifetaker (30 pts) which is 55 pts and thus 5 pts over the limit.

Second is that harpies are a 0-1 choice thus you cant have more than 1 unit and this list has 2

Ah, I forgot about the Harpies - then you can just have a single unit of 10. On the Sorceress, I made a mistake, I intended to give her the Darkstar Cloak instead of the Dispel Scroll.