PDA

View Full Version : The IA Armored Company and 5th

GMMStudios
31-05-2008, 01:09
Hi all!

This may not matter a hill of beans to anyone else out there, but Im hoping to find some other people who play armored company and see what they think the new edition brings for our armies and what you are going to do to tweak your lists. Also armored company is the only personal army I have, so all of my energy goes into it while others may just treat it as a "man I hate that guy this week" army. :)

Here is what I have at my disposal at the moment

Vanquisher
Exterminator
Russ
Russ
Russ
Russ
Demolisher
Demolisher
Demolisher
Bassy
Sentinel with las
Hellhound
Chimera with Stormies and plasma guns

First of all, The main thing I am thinking is that the bassy may have taken the biggest hit from the new scatter rules. 2d6 added on an arrow makes a pretty massive change. Maximum scatter has doubled from 6 to 12 inches.

So what can be done? Well we could just fire it directly, but then it is just a russ with lesser armor. Im thinking the medusa may actually be better, as it is a stronger weapon that can only fire directly, but it still suffers from the weaker armor.

Im also debating on getting some annihilator turrets. It would take some serious math that I am not capable of to figure out which is truly best, but you have the annihilator at st9 twin linked d6 armor pen (most likely to hit) vs. regular russ shell st8 d6 armor pen (least likely to hit but it hits rear if it does) vs. regular russ with anti tank. Hits half the time and does 2d6 take highest against the front armor (against rhinos and the like most likely to pop). I don't know the math, but in my opinion it will probably be a toss up between the twin linked and the extra d6 pen. Edit: Another downside to the las turrets is that you dont get that template for vs. troops so its not as versatile...

As for the rest of the new rules, the new damage chart is just great. No longer can we be destroyed by glanced except by very powerful weapons which we fear already. Add onto this the new cover and it makes our tanks stronger.

The new defensive rule Im not too worried about because the only tank I have that it effects is the exterminator, but that may be the first tank to get a turret swap for twin las.

Anyway, heres hoping to find more AC players, if not then normal guard players feel free to contribute. While the new rules might effect you differently because of numbers of tanks, with that in mind we can possibly learn from each other.

Thanks all!

Ravening Wh0re
31-05-2008, 01:51
Hm, I actually think Armoured Company is better suited to Apocalypse than standard 40K. However, if you really feel the need to own an army then go on right ahead!

A few of things to keep in mind:

Assault hits are resolved on the rear armour of a tank.

All your vehicles cannot claim objectives.

Scouts and Infiltrators can get to vehicles rather faster than expected.

GMMStudios
31-05-2008, 01:55
Hmm, I thought that by troops they meant troop choices? Does it specifically say troop units on foot or something?

The assault Im not too worried about. Ill just deploy back on the table edge. Right now I hug the deployment line and only my far flank is usually assaulted.

Thanks for the tips!

Ravening Wh0re
31-05-2008, 02:13
It is troops choices, but IIRC, vehicles cannot claim objectives. Saying that, it can still be effective since I believe they can contest objectives though.
Make sure you wipe out the enemy and you shouldn't have a problem (however fun that may be).

Scouts and Infiltrators can come onto the board from the 2 short edges.

ps, be careful of Vibrocannons! haha

GMMStudios
31-05-2008, 04:23
Oh okay I see how it is worded then.

Yeah I guess I will just have to focus on blowing the other side up, so I dont leave anyone to claim objectives :D

wilsonian
31-05-2008, 05:13
It seems 5th Ed will blow major chunks at AC lists :( Pitty really as thats what the guard are good at.

GMMStudios
31-05-2008, 05:17
Why do you say that though? Surely the benefits heavily outweigh the costs.

To continue down that road, LOS is now heavily in our favor, as you can shoot over other tanks drawing LOS from the turret. We now get saves and cant be destroyed on glances, save for very powerful and rare single shot guns.

Im just curious why you feel as negative as you do.

wilsonian
31-05-2008, 05:20
if it is true that tanks can't claim objectives then thats a fair few missions where we're screwed. Recon, hold and capture. sure we could run over most of the troops out there but with Tau and Eldar mature cheese lists we're going to find it harder.