PDA

View Full Version : Forge World KoS

Pavic
31-05-2008, 03:48
I was considering purchasing a Forge World KoS at the upcoming Chicago Games Day. I really like the model, however, I have some concern about base. Is it legal to use this model with a chariot base in tournaments or does one have to somehow mount it on a 50x50mm? I am assuming that if I can somehow get the KoS on a 50x50mm, no one will complain, as this is the standard size for the regular model.

ZiggyQubert
31-05-2008, 04:11
well according to the rules a monster can be mounted on "any base or no base" but If you can get it on a 50 or on a 50" and put that on a larger base(for calculating purposes) i.i the model's base is this size (point at 50) but this keeps it from falling over...

Xaskus
31-05-2008, 07:43
I put my FW Bloodthirster on a 100 X 100 and no one has complained yet and if they do I'll show them the any base or no base rule.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
01-06-2008, 00:48
Hang on though - I don't think there is any clear rule that says you can pull out oversized bases for things though, against what the "standard" size is in the box for the model, can you ?

Example - IF you could legally (in Tourneys, etc.) field a Great Unclean One from Forge World, with its huge 100x100-mm base...you would gain a BIG advantage when it came to affecting things with Noxious Vapors, Pestilent Mucous, Nurgle's Rot, etc. - all new Daemonic Gifts in the new Daemon book.

I think GW costed those items based on the assumption that a GUO, like all the other Greater Daemons, should be on a 50x50mm monster base. To say that there is nothing prohibiting you from putting it on as big a base as you want (or on the 100x100) seems incorrect, IMHO.

Pavic
01-06-2008, 06:41
I took a good hard look at the model and I think the feet are about 70mm apart. I think my best bet to ensure tournament legality of the model would be to use polystrene and that completed covered the 50x50mm but whose top is approximately 75mm. I am hoping that this will not destablize the model terribly. If anyone has any experience doing something like this, hit me with a PM if you have some tips.

Lijacote
01-06-2008, 12:07
<snip>

100x100 is a huge target. It's more of a disadvantage than anything.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
01-06-2008, 12:50
I actually have the model, Pavic, and you are right about it being "about" 70 or so millimeters foot-spread/length.

HOWEVER...I can recommend a nice strategy to get her on a 50-mm base without "too" much difficulty.

Basically, place the Keeper at an angle like: /

...on the 50-mm base. Then, when you are assembling her, place her head on (perhaps with a minor dab of green stuff around the neck), so that it is facing "forwards", relative to the front of the 50-mm base. This way, her sword arm will be off to the side, slightly, and her raised hand will look menacing too (perhaps she is casting a spell ? :p), but her head will be facing looking forwards, which looks more normal than leaving it tilted as it normally would be, to an angle - which is okay on the bigger base, since you can align her "longways" to get past that appearance of her looking to the side, but on the smaller 50-mm base, you have to be creative, like this, to get past that alignment issue.

With her "diagonal" on the base, her "right" / forward foot will be in the "right-forward" corner of the 50-mm base, and her "left" / back foot will be in the back-left corner of the base. Note that a bit of it will slightly (very) hang over the rear-edge of the base, but this should not be a big problem as MOST of the time, you will be charging/getting charged in the Front or Flanks anyways.

The important thing is that she is now mounted on a 50-mm base, and still looks pretty nice (without major cutting/converting of her pose). She is also 100% guaranteed to be Tourney Legal in that format, and no opponent should whine about it either :cool:

Urgat
01-06-2008, 14:52
And she's garanteed to fall whenever someone rolls more than one dice on the tabletop :p

fubukii
02-06-2008, 00:30
And she's garanteed to fall whenever someone rolls more than one dice on the tabletop :p

a valid point. Id suggest to Put a small rock on the base and that should solve that problem, always looks cool too.

Fulgrim's-Chosen
02-06-2008, 04:23
Exactly. A minor base-weighting will solve any potential balance issues you might run into. It's not as if the model is "that" heavy, after all - fairly thin + resin, not metal, etc.

Pavic
02-06-2008, 18:03
Thanks for all of the advice folks, especially you Fulgrim's-Chosen. Now I just have to wait until Chicago to pick the KoS up.

SlaaneshSlave
03-06-2008, 00:34
Mine is on the chariot base that it comes with. She really needs the larger base because she is that big.

I weighed my down with metal models. It seemed appropriate she should be walking over pretty corpses. (And it gave me a use for those old blisters of High Elf Crossbowmen.)