PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Fleeing and Charging

Taydron
31-05-2008, 17:32
Just a couple of questions which happened in a game recently and for which I couldn't find answers.

If a unit is charged from the front and rear (by units with US>5) and then breaks, does it flee directly backwards into one of the units and get destroyed, or does it flee out to the side? If it runs out the side, how is pursuit handled?

If a situation arises where two (US>5) units are adjacent to one another but not facing one another, how is charging handled? From the charging rules it seems like neither can charge, because of their lines of sight, and they would have to use their next move phase to turn to face the enemy and then charge the turn after. This seems rather long-winded, so I just wondered if I have overlooked anything.

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 17:57
If a unit is charged from the front and rear (by units with US>5) and then breaks, does it flee directly backwards into one of the units and get destroyed, or does it flee out to the side? If it runs out the side, how is pursuit handled?

If this happens, you lose combat, and your unit breaks, it will flee directly away from the greatest threat, in this case which of the charging units has more US at the end of the phase. With fear/terror you break (if the fear/terror unit outnumbers you) unless you roll insane courage. If an enemy unit with minimum US5 or an impassable terrain is in the flight path, the fleeing unit is eliminated and removed from the table.

In this situation, if you think you are going to lose, you might want to kill off enough enemy models from one of the charging units to below US5.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, the second question I didn't understand.:eyebrows:

Nurgling Chieftain
31-05-2008, 18:36
That's not quite correct.

Units in HtH with a unit as it breaks only catch and destroy that unit if they pursue and roll higher. Otherwise, the fleeing unit moves right through them, no matter they're unit strength, and if they reach them through positioning rather than through a higher die roll, they stop 1" away! See pages 41 (last paragraph) and 44.

So, in the situation described, the breaking unit would flee away from the attacker with the higher US. Both attackers could pursue. If neither rolls as high as the fleeing unit, the fleeing unit gets away from them. Move the fleeing unit right through the unit it's fleeing towards, then move any pursuers, and if necessary stop them 1" away from the fleeing unit (this happens a lot when you flee through a unit to your rear).

From the charging rules it seems like neither can charge, because of their lines of sight, and they would have to use their next move phase to turn to face the enemy and then charge the turn after.That's correct.

Taydron
31-05-2008, 18:42
Thanks for your reply.

The second question is a situation where you get one unit from each team which end up next to each other (from a pursuit or a compulsory move), but one is facing my table edge and the other is facing his table edge, such that neither of them has the other unit within its frontal line of sight (as described in the Facing section of the BRB).

The question is, how can one of the charge the other? Do you have to spend the turn turning your unit 90 to face the opponent, then he does the same in his turn, and then charge the turn after, or are LOS issues less strict than this such that a charge can be declared without LOS and the turning performed in the charge movement?

theunwantedbeing
31-05-2008, 18:47
A unit engaged on both sides that flee's is not destroyed unless the persuing enemies roll higehr than it's own flee distance when it breaks from combat.
Only when breaking from combat can you flee through a us5+ enemy unit and survive.
You flee from the side the highest unit strength enemy is on, in the case of being engaged on more than one side.

I dont understand what you mean by the second question in the original post.
A diagram would be helpful.

Second post.
The unit's must turn to face each other, as you cannot charge what you cannot see.
This takes a turn to move as charges are declared before anything is moved.

Taydron
31-05-2008, 19:10
Thanks all.

Condottiere
31-05-2008, 19:20
That's not quite correct.

Units in HtH with a unit as it breaks only catch and destroy that unit if they pursue and roll higher. Otherwise, the fleeing unit moves right through them, no matter they're unit strength, and if they reach them through positioning rather than through a higher die roll, they stop 1" away! See pages 41 (last paragraph) and 44.

You're right. Damn. My "friend" is screwing with me.