PDA

View Full Version : 40K Army Books

Ethlorien
31-05-2008, 19:36
Hey Folks,

This is the first time I've delved into the 40K side of Warhammer and I'll be honest it has nothing to do with the game itself (intrigued, yes, but not enough to start another hobby right now). Simple question: does it bother you when someone calls one of your codex books an army book?

I noticed often enough some players will go into the Warhammer Fantasy threads asking about the High Elf Codex, the Empire Codex, the Ogre Codes, etc... While it doesn't bother myself (I know what they mean), some people seem quite put off by it. Since I've never been on the 40K threads, I have no idea if this even comes up over here.

So if I asked, "How's that Tau Army Book?" would people jump all over me?

Thanks,

LokkoRex
31-05-2008, 19:37
i wouldn't;)

allymanowar
31-05-2008, 19:43
I'm new so I definitely wouldn't. There, how's that for a pointless first post

vladsimpaler
31-05-2008, 19:43
Codex is just a fancy name for a book.

But no, I wouldn't get angry. I could see some people blowing a blood vessel, though.

If they do get angry, then you probably shouldn't hang around them.

the1stpip
31-05-2008, 20:35
It is pretty pointless getting riled up about it.

In fact, I would say it is pathetic. We know what they mean, so what is the problem?

Templar Ben
31-05-2008, 21:13
I don't think WHFB has enough players for it to be an issue. ;) I am just kidding (not really).

I actually know several people that call it an Army book. They call it that because that is what it is. Three of the four had never played a GW game before so it wasn't any hold over from Fantasy. The fourth had only played LotR and quickly went back.

gLOBS
31-05-2008, 21:26
I generally don't care, but for some reason it seems to grate when I hear it in the back of my head. Can't really explain it as even I use it interchangeably.

Gensuke626
31-05-2008, 21:37
as far as I can tell it's cool to call codexes army books...but not the other way around...

I've never understood it, but I figure if you've been in the hobby for years, you pick up habits...and really we shouldn't get upset.

Lordsaradain
31-05-2008, 21:41
No I wouldn't mind. I often call the fantasy army books "codex" as it is shorter to pronounce though.

kore
31-05-2008, 21:52
"Codex" seems like a shorter way of saying "army book" in both verbal and written terms. If someone wants to write "army book" when they mean "codex", whatever.

The_Outsider
31-05-2008, 21:55
Which team do you play?

Laurela
31-05-2008, 22:00
I'm use to saying army book, so I call my 40k books that too and no one around here seems to care

Kurisu313
31-05-2008, 22:14
I've started calling army books codexes :D it's shorter-aka lazier-which suits me

Ethlorien
31-05-2008, 22:22
Cool. Thanks for the replies, folks.

@ The_Outsider: I play the High Elf Fantasy-Divison from the High Elf Pre-Space-Colonization Publication Supplement. They're awesome!

Panzerkanzler
31-05-2008, 22:57
Which team do you play?

Now, this is an expression that DOES make me blow a fuse! What TEAM? Redsocks? Cubs? Patriots? Gah! It's not teams, it's races or factions. Though I ironically don't mind codex or army book, regardless if used for a codex or army book :p

ZiggyTempest
31-05-2008, 23:06
Which team do you play?

-Rips head off and quickly rolls down bowling alley-

Calling an army a team tends to annoy me slightly. So does confusing an army book for a codex but it's nothing that I'd voice because it's stupid.

MaliGn
01-06-2008, 03:12
Seems the OP was the only one who got The_Outsider's joke then....

MrLiy
01-06-2008, 04:38
You know It doesnt bother me too much, and I play both systems.
Seems to me though that the people that get mad are those fantasy die hards, who feel they're game is better, and thus theyre better than you.

Generally people that are bothered by such trivial things arent too fun to play with if you know what I mean.

PseudoK
01-06-2008, 05:24
You know It doesnt bother me too much, and I play both systems.
Seems to me though that the people that get mad are those fantasy die hards, who feel they're game is better, and thus theyre better than you.

What is it with that? I've always been intrigued when I hear people say that Fantasy is a better game, with nobody defending 40k.

On that note, I've been recently called a "dirty round-baser" when I was assembling some Dire Avengers with a big Legendary Battles Fantasy game going on in the store game room. Everyone got a kick out of that. ;D

Templar Ben
01-06-2008, 05:38
Fantasy players simply can't accept the fact that GW only makes one good game for a fantasy setting and it isn't 25 years old. ;)

AngryAngel
01-06-2008, 06:56
I think mostly the problem lies in most fantasy players having a corn cob up their rear ends. Pushed ever so far up with a very long stick, they also didn't wish to remove afterwards. Its just elitism is all. Its bad in all its forms. You don't hear people defend 40k because 40k players don't need to defend themselves. Both games are fun and cool in their own ways, coming from a man who played 40k first and now has a fantasy army as well. They are just diffrent, its still all about war, so come on lets just stop the fussing and the fueding just kill each other.

LokkoRex
01-06-2008, 07:11
whats wrong with calling it a team:p(sorry, i couldn't resist doing that)

seriously whats wrong with calling it a army book, cause like someone posted before me, thats what it is. i can't figure out why you should call a fantasy book a codex, i think army book is more explaining for beginners.

the1stpip
01-06-2008, 11:41
I have a number of teams.

I have Orcs, High Elves, Dark Elves and Humans, and I have played Blood Bowl for a long time, thanks.