PDA

View Full Version : Staff of sorcery, staff of change, etc...

][nquist0r
31-05-2008, 23:32
I have a few assumptions on these items I need clairification on.

1) These items count as hand weapons.
2) These hand weapons are magical.
3) These magical hand weapons "Count as Magic weapons" in combat.

I have seen a few FAQ's where these type of items are addressed and it seems like the general rule follows the above assumptions... Feel free to sort me out if I am wrong.

Nurgling Chieftain
01-06-2008, 03:39
Hmm. You lumped together two VERY dissimilar items.

Staff of Sorcery:
1) No, it's an arcane item.
2) ...Magic Item, yes, but not a magic weapon.
3) No.

Staff of Change:
1) Yes.
2) No.
3) No, it's not a magic weapon. However, all attacks made by a Daemon count as magical, regardless! So, it can hit ethereal models, for example, but is not negated by items like the Chaos Runeshield.

][nquist0r
01-06-2008, 05:46
Both are listed as arcane items are they not? What I was really wondering if my doombull was able to take a item that counts as a magic handweapon by faq's... lol

Nurgling Chieftain
01-06-2008, 06:14
Both are listed as arcane items are they not?Oh - that Staff of Change. That one isn't even a weapon at all, just like the Staff of Sorcery, so the Doombull cannot select it. ...Besides, HoC is going out of print so you're losing access to those items anyway.

The Beasts of Chaos codex does have an arcane item which counts as a Braystaff, but only Shamans can take it, so there's really no room for argument.

][nquist0r
01-06-2008, 22:33
So a Doombull Wizard is the only wizard forbidden from purchasing an arcane item?

Condottiere
01-06-2008, 23:37
Oh - that Staff of Change. That one isn't even a weapon at all, just like the Staff of Sorcery, so the Doombull cannot select it. ...Besides, HoC is going out of print so you're losing access to those items anyway.

The Beasts of Chaos codex does have an arcane item which counts as a Braystaff, but only Shamans can take it, so there's really no room for argument.

Does that mean a BoC Shaman can't use the Staff of Change?:eyebrows:

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2008, 23:38
Doombulls are only allowed a magical weapon, nothing more.
Daemonic wizards are not allowed arcane items either.
A BoC mage can no longer use the staff of change from the Hoardes of chaos book as the FAQ says that the 2 books are now no longer compatiable.

Although there's nothing stopping you ignoring this rule.

][nquist0r
02-06-2008, 00:41
Only a greater Bray Shaman could afford the staff of change anyways, but yeah I know he cant take one after the continued gutting of chaos (dont worry we are writing your book now!) Its soooo stupid that they would allow a Doombull to become a wizard and disallow arcane items as well as everything else (except weapons...) Silly.

Nurgling Chieftain
02-06-2008, 04:07
[nquist0r;2663517']So a Doombull Wizard is the only wizard forbidden from purchasing an arcane item?Oh, heck, no; there are others.

[nquist0r;2663809']Its soooo stupid that they would allow a Doombull to become a wizard and disallow arcane items as well as everything else (except weapons...)...Get over it. It's not like it's a specific restriction against arcane items, nor is he a particularly good wizard, anyway.