PDA

View Full Version : Best battleforce to make money with?

Iron Father
01-06-2008, 05:28
Without getting into anything too indepth. What would be the best battleforce to pick up in hopes of painting and reselling? I was thinking the Orks, or even marines would be a good choice. :confused:

Znail
01-06-2008, 05:33
I dont think there are much money to be made in reselling armies as it requires alot of work and high quality to even get the money back. There are alot of people switching armies or getting rid of them for other reasons that drives down the prices.

centy
01-06-2008, 05:40
you would de better to just get the big bow from a discount retailer then sell the individual units with out touching them.
So you just sell new on sprue out of box squads and vehicles.

Triggerdog
01-06-2008, 05:47
My friends and I are of a sort that we wont usually spend money on prepaited figs unless we intend to just strip them for parts or are otherwise just interested in what makes up the miniature rather than whats on it.

Epicenter
01-06-2008, 07:15
Space Marines, though the "flavor of the month" army works well as well.

But it's really hit-or-miss, usually miss. Even if an army sells for hundreds of dollars it's almost always less how much the painter bought it for, let alone for all the work involved in painting it all to high standard. Most people on ebay shopping for 40k aren't looking for a fantastically well-painted army to get into a bidding war on. They want a deal to augment their existing armies, which usually means people like new stuff or something that can be bought cheaply and stripped.

I occasionally see armies sell for a lot money, but I've never quite figured out what decides that. It often seems that a masterfully painted "winner's army" tends to sell the most reliably. For instance, in 4th, if you were selling the typical Eldar flying circus (Falcons + Harlequins + whatever else Eldar choose) or a "Tau tri-Hammerhead + Crisis Suits +two devilfish with Firewarriors in it" type armies seem to sell pretty well pre-painted - ie; an army that will be powerful with requirements for additional purchases by the purchaser. But then again, I've seen those armies go for less retail, too

chaos0xomega
01-06-2008, 07:19
Yeah, generally painted armies sell for less than their worth on eBay, unless they're done really well and/or featured in White Dwarf and/or of a decent size.

George Dorn
01-06-2008, 07:26
Occasionally, very well painted characters will do well on eBay, but armies usually don't. Go look on eBay for yourself.

If you're a talented, or more importantly quick painter, money is to be made painting historical figures. Look up 'Flames of War', for example.

BrianC
01-06-2008, 08:12
As George Dorn says you are more likely to sell indivdual characters or a complete squad for a better price than a whole army.

From what I can tell the secret appears to be well photographed minis rather than well painting minis. You must have a light box or similar and a camera with a good macro option. Photoshopping the background and improving contrast a little to tidy it up doesn't hurt either, if I remember correctly CMON has some articles on this.

From what I've seen you don't even need to take that close a shot as people seem to be buying the photo rather than the mini. What I mean by that is if you look at the top rated minis on CMON the vast majority of them have quality, really close shots, that way you can actually see the detail of the paint job, but just about every single ebay auction I've seen the shots are so far away you can't really tell.

Bookwrak
01-06-2008, 09:57
If you think you're painting skills are good enough to sell, then you'd be better off setting yourself up as a commission painter. Most peope aren't going to be interested in buying prepainted models, because what are the chances these models will acceptably match what they've already got?

sigur
01-06-2008, 10:04
Indeed. If you want to make money, do characters (convert or scratchbuild them!) or small squads. In my experience painting armies, even on a comission basis, just doesn't pay off.

GMMStudios
01-06-2008, 14:03
Hehe, but how many of you naysayers are talking from experience eh? :)

You have to understand Ebay a bit. The Ebay market likes completeness to a fault. In order to sell a painted miniature(s) on ebay, you have to met some requirements.

1. It has to be a single character or a 2000 point army. Nothing in between. Not many want squads as the basing will unlikely match, and that is enough to turn them off.

2. Legal in tourneys is a big plus. Try and avoid conversions using other companies miniatures.

3. Like I said before, it needs to be a 2000 point army, but some armies have more models at 2000 points. However unless is an army where HUGE numbers is a selling point (uncommonly MASSIVE ork horde) all you are doing is paying for and spending more time on models that garner you no more dough.

The true main key to doing it, is making your money when you buy. Its just like real estate. Buy your minis at a discount and if things go bad selling at retail still makes you money. You cannot do this buying at retail. It will not work, period. Im sure people have seen some of my my nicely painted armies on ebay, thinking "wow thats only 20% above retail or AT retail starting out." Well they dont know I only paid 20-50% of retail max for it. And whats great about that is that they wont be dissapointed if they feel the price is right. I dont have to jack up prices or "screw" people with overpricing because I made the money when I bought the minis, not when I sold them to you.

There you go. Probably a little crazy for writing this but thats how you make money on ebay. It isnt as good as commissions, but it can still be good money.

sigur
01-06-2008, 14:22
Hehe, but how many of you naysayers are talking from experience eh? :)

Well, I did but I don't regularly trade on ebay. But what you say makes sense.

A thing Struth! said reminded me of something: Try to sell to the US. For some reason, people will pay much more there than where you live.

@Struth: "Veteran Guard players"? I guess it's more about enjoying painting/wanting to paint your own army or being lazy/not having the time/etc.. Not sure if this has anything to do with some kind of "veteran status" (which usually equals "look mommie, I bought 50,000,000 points of Cadians today!").

GMMStudios
01-06-2008, 14:26
I had one guy who was so desperate to grab a uniform force from me he ended up paying over 2 grande for a krieg armored company which was worth around 750 dollars new.

Well that is a fully painted krieg army. Even poorly painted those go well over retail on ebay. If you are in the mindset of most who buy painted on ebay, you are getting something that normally takes months NOW, and its already paitned for you.

If you're planning on selling an army and you're a talented painter, split it up into individual squads, this allows people who want individual units to bid, and also raises the overall price you will raise.

I really despise doing this as the fees go higher, its a lot mroe to keep track of, lots more boxes to ship if lots of people buy one thing (which also makes higher shipping costs), and the weaker units of a full army will slip through the cracks. In my opinion selling together really bolsters an armies value, unless it is worth less that your starting price to begin with. What price I start it at heavily effects the value of an army just sitting there in my shop.

GMMStudios
01-06-2008, 14:27
Try to sell to the US. For some reason, people will pay much more there than where you live.

Yep, sell worldwide. I get most of my bids from the UK.

GMMStudios
01-06-2008, 14:35
shrug, the returns for me far outwiegh the cost.

Oh well Im sure they do otherwise you wouldnt do it. Is this a side thing though while you are in school or is it all you do?

250 - 300 dollars for a squad which cost me ~25$ is p good too imo :)

Well there is a lot more to factor in that how much you paid. Such as time spent painting and assembling and packing. Time spent doing photography and listing the item, even just sitting around thinking of the color scheme. But that stuff doesnt really come in until you are a full fledged commission business. If you are doing it out of your bedroom then weekend spending money is weekend spending money. :)

sigur
01-06-2008, 15:06
Be careful then. You cross the line between being a user and being a business quite fast in ebay. There has been cases in Germany in which people had to pay taxes for having a business on ebay without knowing IIRC.

Lordsaradain
01-06-2008, 15:08
Care to post some examples of your painted works? I'm sorely interested in seeing what type of ten man squads people would pay $250 for. :)

Kelderaith
01-06-2008, 15:43
Well I can now understand how you can sell them. They are just stupidly well painted, most people who have solid job and thus more than a reasonable income don't really care to pay high price for what they consider to be high quality models painted masterfully like that.

Codsticker
01-06-2008, 17:10
Iron Father: What you could consider doing is buying battailion box sets from an online retailer and the assembling the models and selling them off in small units. You certainly wouldn't earn as much money as you would if they were nicely painted and photographed but you wouldn't have nearly the same investment in time either. There always seems to be people looking for bare models, and they are willing to pay a bit more if they don't have to strip them.

GMMStudios
01-06-2008, 22:22
Be careful then. You cross the line between being a user and being a business quite fast in ebay. There has been cases in Germany in which people had to pay taxes for having a business on ebay without knowing IIRC.

Definitely. I can't recall what the number is, and it's fairly low, but there is a number in the US that if you cross it, the income is considered business, or reportable income or some such.

You can risk not reporting it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you like writing checks later you don't have the money for anymore.

Iron Father: What you could consider doing is buying battailion box sets from an online retailer and the assembling the models and selling them off in small units. You certainly wouldn't earn as much money as you would if they were nicely painted and photographed but you wouldn't have nearly the same investment in time either. There always seems to be people looking for bare models, and they are willing to pay a bit more if they don't have to strip them.

That is interesting. Never heard of anyone doing that. Although there are times I wouldn't mind buying things assembled to save time. You wouldn't make much money, but the opportunity to keep the bits is there as well.

Templar Ben
02-06-2008, 00:37
Odd. I guess Struth! got quickly banned and everything was deleted. Must have been something really bad for all traces to be purged. Those were nice models.

How well do metal armies sell compared to a comparable plastic force?

GMMStudios
02-06-2008, 06:49
Well he was probably some scammer then, and good riddance.