PDA

View Full Version : my new guard need a name help please

chaoslordmassurgi
01-06-2008, 14:38
this is my new guard can you tell me a good name for them i was thinking of the 50th gudrunite rifels or somthing like that and i know its from the eisenhorn book but please dont tell me that. look in the paperclip on the right of the thread as i sometimes over look that and can anyone tell me how to post images in the thread thanks.

Maharajah
01-06-2008, 14:51
How about the Klinefelter 47th Rifles?

centy
01-06-2008, 15:01
Lava lads.
nah seriously
Volcanus Imperialus (insert number)

it's that orange color.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
01-06-2008, 15:23
#1). Use punctuation, sentences, proper grammar, ect. and a lot more people will have the common courtesy to respond. Not everybody feels like reading a stream of disconnected text. English may not be your first language, but even so, please make some effort.

[/grammar officer]

Naming Imperial Guard Regiments in Three Easy Steps-

1). Choose name of planet/location/Latinized adjective.
2). Choose number.
3). Choose designation- Rifles, Mechanized, Airborne, PDF, Infantry, ect.
3b). Choose nickname (if desired).
3c). Acquire hat, of military vintage. Put it on, and strut around, making grand gestures and saying epic things like "Men of the Imperium- do you want to live forever?", "Forward! Forward in His name!" and so forth.

To post images-

Have them hosted somewhere on the internet. Photobucket, Flikr, Imageshack, ect.
Look at the toolbar at the top of the posting feild (what you're typing in to post). About 3/4 of the way from the right, there's a little button, a picture of two mountains in a box. Like so [/\^].
Go back to the page where you have your images hosted. Click on one, and "Copy Image Location".
Click on the button mentioned above, paste the Image Location into the feild, and hit "OK".
Post your thread.
Enjoy.

ehlijen
01-06-2008, 15:28
The Camina IV Hellboys?
The Tyron VI Firebats?
The Schleswig Ehrengarde?
The Kyros IX Bloodbound?

Blue Orphen
01-06-2008, 15:34
Please crop and resize your photos so they are easier to look at.

Deciding on a background will help you pick a name.

BC Raimo has the method for making a regimental name listed perfectly. Decide on what the planet they are from is like, or what the officers are like, or what sort of work they do as a regiment. Then you just need a name for the planet/system/etc.

It's better to not use one from a book, unless you are actually following the book's uniform, organization, etc.

As for number, if the regiment has a long history, pick a large number. If it is relatively new, you can choose a small number.

chaoslordmassurgi
01-06-2008, 15:38
#1). Use punctuation, sentences, proper grammar, ect. and a lot more people will have the common courtesy to respond. Not everybody feels like reading a stream of disconnected text. English may not be your first language, but even so, please make some effort.

[/grammar officer]

i am terribly sorry i was in a bit of a rush.

How about: the Ruis 7th Rifles
and now i need a nickname i will be using mostly infantry and three basilisks, (I don't know how this will change it.)

Strikerkc
02-06-2008, 13:47
I'd make them some sort of PDF unit since they're so brightly colored. Most PDF's tend to spend most of their time in a ceremonial position (hence the showy duds) and only fight when their world is attacked.

Names in that case wouldn't tend to have numbers (since there wouldn't be multiple foundings). They would be something more like "The Terresian Guard" or "Custodians of Matkar", stuff like that.

Klomster
02-06-2008, 14:43
Ruis...

Protectors of Ruis, Ruis pdf, Ruis 7th rifles "the fireflies" "The Firehawks", Custodians of Ruis, Ruis tutela(guard), Ruis presidium(guard), Ruis Guardians, The sons of Ruis, Ruis curator(guardian), Ruis first and only!(hehe), The Ruis Firstborn, Ruis servio imperator(serve imperium), Defenders of Ruis.

Now it got annoying too come up with more ideas...
http://www.freedict.com/onldict/lat.html
That's a english>latin translator, try some imposing words and you might come up with something, just remeber that latin gramatic structure is weird and as such, ask someone who knows latin too make up sentences for you.

You wouldn't want your army to be named "The Ruis emperor assian guard a house firework."

Koryphaus
02-06-2008, 15:04
Wardens of the Light of the Emperor's Flame, Veteran Company, PDF regiment of Cardinal World Ferron IV. See what I did there..? I got the orange colour to gell with the regiment name and location.. :p

Ok, its probably time to go to bed now (12:20 am), I'm starting to weird myself out..

Drogmir
02-06-2008, 15:16
Maybe a siege regiment? seeing how you have 3 Basilisks

Jellicoe
02-06-2008, 17:07
Massurgi 31st?

EVIL INC
02-06-2008, 17:31
A background and history of your army along with thier homewold are important and truth to tell, should be done before you even put paint on them.
In my own case, I used my homeworld my D&D group used to play on and named the entire world after the main city we made our base in. Then I added thousands of years and had the imperium find it. Bam, instant, fluff, background and history along with a decent paint scheme.
I would suggest that you look to other gaming you might or might not have done over the years and incorperate it into your army. That will give you a head start on thier story and give it some "soul" for you to become attached to it.
Good luck.

\/\/raithlord
02-06-2008, 18:26
"The Firehawks",

I second this bit. But I'm a bit of a drop trooper fan anyway.