PDA

View Full Version : All-Stormtrooper Guard? Madness?

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
01-06-2008, 17:14
Well, probably. :)

Pertinent Information-

1). I love Guard. Only the fact that I also love other armies has prevented my building a proper army of them before.

2). I love the Karskin models. This is true.

3). Combining the above, I've been drawn towards creating an all-Stormtrooper guard army.

4). I am a painter and modeler foremost.

So, a few general questions-

Good Idea? Bad Idea? Yes, that's really quite general...

Playability- would this army stand a chance? It'll be small, for guard, and probably light on armor.

Doctrines- I'm thinking about using Stormtroopers, Grenadiers, Carapace, Special Weapons Squads, and Sharpshooters. Yes? No?

I imagine I could just PM this to General Steiner*, but I felt the public opinion would be nice.

* Hell, I bet he's already done a guard army just like this...

Captin Korea!
01-06-2008, 17:20
You will be a bit low on models, but it could work. I made a 1k list with all ST's and the augmentation doctrine for my Admech troops, they did will Vs a khorne/ nurgle army mainly due to the fact I had 7 heavy bolters :)(4 from a techpriest, 3 in command platoon)

Bloodknight
01-06-2008, 17:20
As for the playability - well, it's alright, I've done it before with 50 Stormtroopers plus a few carapace Guardsmen.

But, and that may be a major issue: there is a new IG codex coming next year, and nobody can tell you if that will even be an option, with doctrines going. Who knows if Grenadiers will stay in the list?
Before dumping that amount of money into the army with buying 60 Stormies, I would take that long into consideration.

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
01-06-2008, 17:35
I had realized that a little while ago...

i think I'll be all right- I'm only planning to use Karskin for the actual Stormtroopers, and will be converting Cadians to make grenadiers. If need be, I can just say they're normal guardsmen...

bassmasterliam
01-06-2008, 17:38
I wouldn't use sharpshooters because it only works for BS 3 and stormies are BS 4.

elfman
01-06-2008, 17:39
I play a mechanised stormtrooper/grenadier list. couple of squads of grenadiers, squad of veterans and command squad all mounted in chimeras, a couple of russes and a 3 lascannon sentinels.

They work quiet well against most armies but when it comes to marines your stormtroopers end up getting mown down.

downundercadet07
01-06-2008, 17:53
How will the new codex affect the IA lists? I always though basing a storm-trooper army around D-99 would be hot. The armor wouldn't be a perfect fit, since I believe they have lighter armor than standard storm troopers. Still, 147 points gives you ten BS4, I4 troops with 2 plasma guns, a heavy bolter, a medic, and a vet sarge with a power weapon and surveyor. Not too shappy. Or, for ten points more, you could get 10 men, 2 meltas, kraks for everyone, melta bombs on the sergeant, and a medic.

Necrontyr
01-06-2008, 21:19
It can be pretty good, don't forget you can take Inquisitional Stormtroopers with more options for the Sarge too. I run a mechanized ST list, and it does pretty well. As stated above, model count will be an issue, but the amount of firepower you can put out can be ridiculous. Especially with 8+ Chimeras with 9 shots a piece.

Mr Zephy
01-06-2008, 21:25
How will the new codex affect the IA lists?

It won't. The IA lists are entirely different.

Hicks
01-06-2008, 21:38
I've done it a few times and while it's a really cool and fun army to use... it's not really all that powerfull. It feels like an horribly weaker mech sisters army. I was using Chimeras for every squads eccept the ones that could deepstrike. If you take Leman Russes it gets a lot better.

Lord Inquisitor
01-06-2008, 21:48
Another option is to run a stormtrooper heavy daemon or witch hunters army... no leman russ, but you get Inquisitor Lords and Land Raiders...

Necros
01-06-2008, 22:07
Go ahead and make the army. I've been wanting to do the same thing, but if I do I think I will go with the renegade guard from FW. Take all new codex rumors with a grain of salt till the book is in your hands. Worst case, have your kaserkins count as normal guardsmen after the new book is out, problem solved.

I would take the doctrines you listed except not sharpshooters, though it could work in some places. Would have been more worth it if it made you BS4 :( But you won't have a lot of BS3 units, so it just might be a waste.

Fill up on troopers, you can have 8 units between elites, grenadiers and inquisitor allies. You can maybe even use different models... Kaserkins for the elites, death korps for the troops...?

In the end though, build the army you will love building and disregard all the whining from the calculator-tossing mathammer kids. Just do what you think will be the most fun to play :)

Dach
01-06-2008, 22:24
well it's actually one of my army. Thought I got Inquisitor Lord, Elite Inquisitor, Daemonhost and Imperial Assassin.

Gen.Steiner
02-06-2008, 00:53
Madness? No. Check my 'The Assault Force' project log (link in sig) for my take on this very idea. :)

Voleron
02-06-2008, 03:43
Madness? THIS. IS. STORMTROOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*ahem*

It's a good idea. I've seen quite a few good Stormie lists - they get even better if you include FW vehicles, the Centaur especially. Plus, it catches pretty much everyone off-Guard (heh) the first few times they play against it, which helps a lot, too.

Gen.Steiner
02-06-2008, 07:50
Hey, my own is 1,000 points of Stormtroopers (66 men) and 2,000 points of Valkyries and Vultures... ;)

Brother_Chaplian Raimo
02-06-2008, 11:24
Madness? THIS. IS. STORMTROOPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

*ahem*

Finally. I've been waiting all day for someone to say that.

I'd forgotten that Stromtroopers aren't Guard infantry. Sharpshooters goes out the window...any suggestions?

Slaaneshi Slave
02-06-2008, 11:47
I have an army which is very similar. I used 7 squads of Krieg Grenadiers, but I can't tell you how it plays, since I have never used it! :p I've only had it for about 10 months too...

Gen.Steiner
02-06-2008, 12:11
Finally. I've been waiting all day for someone to say that.

I'd forgotten that Stromtroopers aren't Guard infantry. Sharpshooters goes out the window...any suggestions?

I went for:

Carapace Armour
Grenadiers
Stormtroopers
Iron Discipline
and
'Airborne' which is Mechanised but with Valkyries instead. ;)

Toe Cutter
02-06-2008, 23:21
Voleron beat me to it with the comment about Centaurs. You could have a core of chimera born grenadiers (pintle mounted heavy stubbers gives you 9 shots per chimera plus whatever the storm troopers choose to add) then a few small squads of storm troopers in centaurs bombing around the board in fast vehicles generally making nuisances of themselves.

You could even combine this with a squad in a valkyrie and one deepstriking for the full gamut of 'mad ways to get guard onto the board'.

Not an army list thats likely to work very well but you can't help thinking it'd be entertaining having storm troopers falling out of helicopters, zooming around the board at break neck speed in light vehicles and advancing in IFVs while laying down a withering hail of anti personnel fire all at the same time!