PDA

View Full Version : Defining Characters and Generals

Feor
01-06-2008, 17:55
OK, I'm confused.

How, exactly, does one define a Character? The rules book implies that it's any lord or hero choice, but then goes on to also imply it's any model that's a unit onto itself.

Now, on one hand, this would suggest that a single model unit, when the army entry lists 1+ would be a character, but then, I'm pretty sure that something like a Lone Maneater isn't. Is it anything that doesn't have a "unit size" listed in it's profile?

I mainly ask because I'd like to give my Shaggoth a mark of Chaos, but to do that, he becomes a Lord choice (and a rare choice). Does he also become a character, and hence my army's general, or does he stay as a non-character single-model unit and my Bray Shaman stays general?

Condottiere
01-06-2008, 18:08
IIRC, the character model with the highest leadership automatically becomes the general. If the values are the same, you can choose.:)

Bloodknight
01-06-2008, 18:11
Characters are heroes and lords. unit champions share some traits with characters, but that's it (an exception are the regiments of renown, who include fully fledged characters instead of champions).

The ogre in your example is not a character, as isn't the Shaggoth or a giant. The shaggoth however does become a character once he gets a mark as part of its rules, and would in that case assume command of your army, unless the shaman's LD was higher (which it IIRC is not. Aren't they Ld 7 or so?).

Lordmonkey
01-06-2008, 18:54
No, a varghulf isn't a character, and isn't a wizard.

Feor
01-06-2008, 21:22
Ok, does it say that somewhere, or is it something just sort of assumed because the wording is vague? Like I said it doesn't outright say anywhere that I could find "a character is a Lord or Hero choice" Also, can a Lord choice Shaggoth join another unit? Since he does become a character, seems like it'd be a nice boost to drop a Shaggoth into a regiment of Dragon Ogres.

theunwantedbeing
01-06-2008, 21:32
Page 72-79 BRB
Page 7 BRB

Also...look in your armybook for the seclection rules.
Clearly shows what is and isnt a character.

Lordmonkey
02-06-2008, 04:27
Like I said it doesn't outright say anywhere that I could find "a character is a Lord or Hero choice"

Go away.

"The character with the highest leadership value is the general of your army" - P82

Solid State
02-06-2008, 07:28
Since he does become a character, seems like it'd be a nice boost to drop a Shaggoth into a regiment of Dragon Ogres.

Monsters can't join units, regardless of whether or not they are a character.