PDA

View Full Version : starting dwarves

isidril93
01-06-2008, 20:30
last chrismas my brother bought battle for skull pass in order to get the rulebook and some goblins to start an O&G army and so we had the extra dwarves

i ran out of high elves to paint so i asked him if i could paint some dwarves and from that we decided to start a dwarf army togethor

i want this army to be a sort of mountain force with ranger and lots of slayers as i love them

can you guys give me some info on dwarves and how they play as i dont even have the army book yet

Wolfmother
01-06-2008, 20:36
if you like slayers have u seen the storm of chaos slayer list?

in all dwarfs work as an immense gunline. dwarf combat armys sometimes struggle to make it across the board as they are m6 but it can be got around by using an anvil and strollers rune:)

isidril93
01-06-2008, 20:51
i like slayer a lot but i dont want an all slayer army, just the main special units, im still going to use units like thunderers, warriors and cannons(just less)

Kirth
01-06-2008, 21:22
Using an anvil (not thorek) is one of the fun things for me. I field Hammerers w/ runed banner to make them immune to fear/terror with a BSB on one flank, thanes in the central warrior blocks, and slayers on the other flank. I had one game against my good buddy where a unit of slayers with a dragon slayer got charged by ironguts led by a tyrant. I had specifically kitted the dragon slayer to kill heroes. When I issued that challenge, he gladly accepted, 2 rounds of combat later my slayer was wounded and his tyrant was dead. MroSwiftness, RoMight, and RoFury. Yes I rolled well, and yes he rolled poorly, but was an outstanding moment in that game.

I take a couple war machines depending on what I feel like fielding. They have just a ton of war machine options. Bolt throwers, stone throwers, cannon, organ guns, gyrocopters, and my favorite, the flame cannon.

Dwarfs are very reliable, and the anvil can really mix it up. Dwarfs charging from the power of the anvil is great. Turns a slow grinding melee if you were charged into a possible victory for charging.

Dwarfs are a great gunline, but not very fun to play with/against. I love combat resolution so the melee force is the fun way to go. The anvil brings a fun/crazy factor to the army. The Dwarf Lord is a bit of a waste, he rarely if ever will see combat because people know to avoid him. The anvil provides all the magic defense you could want, and if your needing extra magic defense, you can always give the runelord some anti magic runes.

Miners are great with the anvil. Rangers are not nearly as good as miners for the point cost, but if you want flavor, get the rangers. All in all, they are great fun.

Just thinking about the stunties has me wanting to put aside my O&G.

KrisPicman
01-06-2008, 22:31
One fact you're not going to get around with dwarves... is you are not going anywhere anytime soon. Pure and simple. Another is you are going to be outnumbered most of the time. Slayers are awesome but they are'nt what they are cracked up to be. sure they are tuff as nails and will eat almost anything they come into close combat with but your opponent will just end up shooting them to death before the can make their points back that is unless you shoot up your enemy before he/she has that chance. Dwarves are fun especially if you are going to do a ranger theme IMO.
For the ranger theme I'd suggest
Rangers (of course)
Plenty of Cross Bows
Rune Lord
Some Miners
Some Warriors
A unit or two of Slayers
Add in whatever kind of war machines if you plan on sticking to the ranger theme i would stay away from black powder weapons.

WLBjork
01-06-2008, 23:19
snip... as they are m6 ... snip

Wow. When did that happen? Didn't know they were faster than Elves!

Seriously, they are M3 and can ignore one event that would prevent them marching.

It's not all bad though.

Anyone saying you have to play gunline is talking through their hat. You can score big with a balanced force.

Heck, it's not too hard to play an all-melee force, which are very sucessful.

Lorcryst
02-06-2008, 09:02
The biggest advice I could say : buy the book first.

For example, you can only have ONE unit of Rangers, and to be able to take more than ONE unit of Slayers, you have to take a Slayer character (one for "free" as a special choice, plus one per Slayer character).

The army as a whole is rather static, with very good leadership (Ld 9 for most of the units), good armour saves (the humble Dwarf Warrior, a core choice, comes with a Heavy Armour and the option for a shield ... a 3+ armour save in CC for infantry is rock solid), solid combat units, good ranged units, and arguably the best artillery there is (runes and Engineers do wonders).

The drawbacks are the point costs, a Dwarf army will likely be rather compact, and the potential for a total cheese-fest that will make your friends want to skin you alive (please stay away from a Thorek gun-line if you want to keep your friends).

All in all, the army has a lot of options, you can go all-guns, all-combat, or a mix of the two, and all that metal on the models is rather easy to paint.

Eternus
02-06-2008, 11:27
Dwarves are one of the most characterful armies in the game, and can be as balanced or unbalanced as you like. Going for a Ranger themed force, I would say, obviously, Rangers (Crossbows + Great Weapons), Miners would fit well, plus a few blocks of Warriors to represent a mountain stronghold garrison of some kind.

I reckon you should have a mix of Missile troops, crossbows would kind of represent 'Rangers in training' and Thunderers because there's already got to be a good supply of black powder around for all the blasting the Miners are doing.

Slayers, because there's plenty of beasties in 'them thar mountains' that would attract such nut jobs.

Gyrocopters, cos it the safest way to travel - well, maybe. But you could picture a Gyro-pad up in the highest tower of a Dwarf Stronghold, or a lauch bay cut into the side of a mountain!

isidril93
02-06-2008, 19:03
One fact you're not going to get around with dwarves... is you are not going anywhere anytime soon. Pure and simple. Another is you are going to be outnumbered most of the time. Slayers are awesome but they are'nt what they are cracked up to be. sure they are tuff as nails and will eat almost anything they come into close combat with but your opponent will just end up shooting them to death before the can make their points back that is unless you shoot up your enemy before he/she has that chance. Dwarves are fun especially if you are going to do a ranger theme IMO.
For the ranger theme I'd suggest
Rangers (of course)
Plenty of Cross Bows
Rune Lord
Some Miners
Some Warriors
A unit or two of Slayers
Add in whatever kind of war machines if you plan on sticking to the ranger theme i would stay away from black powder weapons.

yep that is the theme i am goin to do

i play high elves and daemons so being outnumbered is something that im used to and since the armies i face are bretts, orcs and dark elves speed is not that much of a problem

Lorcryst
02-06-2008, 19:27
Since you'll be playing against Orcs, there's an added bonus : Dwarf hate all greenskins :evilgrin:

rodmillard
02-06-2008, 22:32
If your group allows special characters, you might want to lay your hands on Bugman, as he allows you to take a second unit of longbeard rangers

Malorian
02-06-2008, 22:37
Aren't longbeard scouts a bit silly? Obvious part of their points is that they makes those around them reroll panic tests, and if they scout no one will be around them...