PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item effects and Character Death

feeder
02-06-2008, 03:06
What happens when a character with an item that has a lasting effect to multiple models dies before the affected models get to use the bonus?

To give an example, an Orc BSB with Nogg's Banner of Butchery (One use only, +1 attack to the unit in the turn it is used) is in a unit that has been charged. The banner is activated, then the BSB is struck down by the charging models.

Does his unit still get the bonus as the effects last for the entire phase, or is the bonus cancelled as the item is now removed from play?

Condottiere
02-06-2008, 05:03
That's an interesting question. Normally combat is simultaneous.

IMO, you activated the banner before actually rolling for the combat, though I'd like to see the FAQ or BRB page that deals with that.:eyebrows:

Braad
02-06-2008, 06:18
Hmmm... Now I'm not sure, but I always declare the use of the banner of butchery at the moment I'm about to make my attacks, not at the start of combat.
Not sure of that's the right moment, now I come to think of it, but at least it saves you the trouble of having to think about this.

Anyway, my guess is that if the banner dies, the effect is gone.

Faustburg
02-06-2008, 07:13
The banner is not there when you are going to roll the dice it would have affected.

xragg
02-06-2008, 10:02
Do the effects of the storm banner also go poof when you kill the BSB? I dont have my rule book next to me to see if there is anything regarding this, but my guess is that the effects remain in play. Storm banner summons a storm that prevents flying/shooting, but is the banner needed to maintain it? Interesting question.

Dark_Mage99
02-06-2008, 10:10
Do the effects of the storm banner also go poof when you kill the BSB? I dont have my rule book next to me to see if there is anything regarding this, but my guess is that the effects remain in play. Storm banner summons a storm that prevents flying/shooting, but is the banner needed to maintain it? Interesting question.

The storm would go away.

The effects if the banner would be gone.

DeathlessDraich
02-06-2008, 14:54
Noggs Banner - "Models in the unit ... in the turn the banner is used"

This is similar to magic items/spells which have effects carried over into future rounds. Some effects last for the whole battle - e.g. Dragontooth arrows, Blade of Corruption etc.
Some last for only one turn e.g. DE Dominion.
The effects still persist even though the bearer is slain

Most Orc players would declare its use just before combat commences for that unit.
Since its effect lasts for a whole player turn, it does not matter if the bearer is slain.