PDA

View Full Version : True LOS - game experience

njfed
02-06-2008, 13:54
My group has been trying out 5th edition based on the rumors. Now that we have seen the store copy and have read about the new true line of sight rules we know just what GW intends.

You can run...
The rule book has some examples of how shooting through forests and building should work. It makes sense and we had no problem adapting. Basically, you can see everything unless there is a hill in the way. A ten man squad of anything has a very hard time finding a spot where they can not be seen. I know some people will start to play with solid buildings that can not be entered just to get some blind spots back on the table. This would be a mistake. The game is fine with the new TLOS rules. We used orcs, tyranids, SM, chaos, daemons and necrons. It did not matter if you were CC or gun line based, the TLOS did not favor one over the other.

Some lessons learned...
1. Template weapons are your friend. Flamers will be popular again and the new scatter rules for pie plates rock. Missile launchers with thier range and flexability are now very powerful. No more sneaking up on vidicators.
2. CC blocking LOS becomes a big issue. Once you get use to being able to see everything, having a CC in the middle of the board is frustrating because it is the most common form of blocked LOS now.
3. No consolidation into other units to start new CC is a very nice rule. Why? See 4...
4. CC is quick and deadly. Since everyone piles in before CC and wound can come from models out of engaged models, CC does not last as long as before. So this change balances out the no consolidation rule. And like I said, CC is now the biggest factor in not having LOS.
5. Mutli story building are your friend. I am glad to see some of the cities of death rules filter into the main game. I had a squad of scout snipers with a missile launcher on the third floor of a building. Having building on the table really improves the fluff feel of the battles. Fighting over trees is just too...fantasy.
6. Don't panic. Yes, your fragile units will have no place to hide, but they will get a cover save.

The key to 5th edition is to make your opponent prioritize his shooting. If he chooses wrong or rolls poor, you win!

x-esiv-4c
02-06-2008, 13:57
Nice to see templates getting the loving they need.

oni
02-06-2008, 14:03
Thanks for the review, but haven't poor choices and bad dice rolls always played a factor in winning or loosing? :p

Homer S
02-06-2008, 14:05
Did your opponent shake the tall building you were in? That would keep you from shooting.

Homer

tehgeist
02-06-2008, 14:14
That is good to hear that TLOS is not a problem, but with tournament player this could end in some rules discussions.
Did you noticed that the game draws you more into it, because you always look through the "eyes" of your units? ;)
Regarding shaking buildings, so it is possible to shoot/attack buildings?
Can't wait to play some games with this edition, I will wait till I got my copy.

bye

njfed
02-06-2008, 15:49
Thanks for the review, but haven't poor choices and bad dice rolls always played a factor in winning or loosing? :p

Yup, so the new TLOS rules don't dominate the outcome the way some people may think.

Did your opponent shake the tall building you were in? That would keep you from shooting.

We are still learning all the new rules. We did not include destruction of buildings this go round.

That is good to hear that TLOS is not a problem, but with tournament player this could end in some rules discussions.
Did you noticed that the game draws you more into it, because you always look through the "eyes" of your units? ;)

Certainly every group is going to 'see' TLOS a bit differently. If your group does not try to game the system by using lots of really tall hills, or solid buildings, then you will quickly adapt to almost always being able to see everything on the battlefield. Having played on the GW lava tables, I know how tournaments can create issues. It is no different than getting an agreement on all the tables at tournaments. Every army likes to see things in their favor. Gun lines want lava to be dangerous. Assault troops want crators to count as 4+ cover. Do we really need to make a difficult terrain test to move up that small hill?

Yes, TLOS did draw us in. Cool moment of the game...

The flying daemon was in range to fly to the top of the building where my snipers were located. However, there was not enough room for him to land without coming within 1" of a SM. In the name of Fluff I let my opponant place the daemon in the building and then assault the scouts by placing the daemon in the middle of the squad...as if the monsterous creature flew up there and landed right in the middle of the squad. Yup, he ripped my scouts to shreads. It wuld have made an awsome scene with the daemon tossing the bodies of the scouts off the tower at the SM below.