PDA

View Full Version : Ork Vehicles and the rules change

AfroCelt
02-06-2008, 15:35
With 5th edition imminent, I find myself in the awkward position of being in the middle of building my very first battlewagon. I originally planned it as a dakkawagon, 4 Big Shootas, 20 Ork Boyz inside with 2 more Big Shootas, and a deffrolla for the sheer fun.

The main idea of this unit was to run it quickly into the midst of the enemy gunline, pop off a load of high power anti-infantry shots, and then tankshock anything that still lives.

The new rules seem to make all the weapons available for mounting on the Battlewagon un-useable for the mission I want to give it.

Option One: Scrap the Battlewagon and shave it down to a looted wagon with boomgun/Make it a Big Gun Wagon.

-New Ordanace rules mean that orks will ALWAYS scatter 2d6-2? Ew.
-fairly fragile and stationary...I have a few stationary units, but I never like it.

Option Two: Make a Battlewagon as I started.

-Fun and what I'd love
-Will not perform well under the new rules

Option Three: 2-4 Big Shootas (basic protection from vehicle immobilized though lack of weapon), Deffrolla, and expect it to just charge without firing.

-Alright. It'll use the new vehicle ramming rules and inflict a ton of close damage, but it isn't dakka-worthy.

What do you all think?

Budro
02-06-2008, 15:51
Use it as a dethrolla/mob delivery system. A couple of BS for damage control.

Keep it cheap as possible.

Lardidar
02-06-2008, 15:52
-New Ordanace rules mean that orks will ALWAYS scatter 2d6-2? Ew.

Unless you hit ....

But I'd just make the battlewagon you want, it will still be handy to have around and shoul if done well be an awesome model.

Meriwether
02-06-2008, 18:57
Correct me if I'm wrong, but orky ordnance just went from 'place and scatter 2d6", pick the highest' to 'place and scater 2d6-2"'... You *still* have a 33% chance of hitting outright, but even if a scatter is rolled you now have a *higher* chance of not scattering significantly (e.g. more than, say, 2") even with an arrow on the scatter die, though of course you also have a chance of scattering farther than you previously did...

So boomwagons are going to be better in the new edition than they were in the old. Woot.

Meri

SlaughterSong
02-06-2008, 19:15
don't really see how they got better, its if u stand still n shoot, scatter n 1 d6, move n shoot, scatter n 2d6 pick the highest, the new rule book its always scatter n 2d6 add em subtract 2 for bs, so it was a possible 1-6inch scatter and now its a 2-10 inch scatter, unless in both cases u hit, which didnt change

ramming will allow the battle wagon to make 1 strength 9 attack on a vechile if it moved its full 12inches, the roller will help squash some infantry but i do not believe it helps with ramming

id say use ur dakka wagon, roll up fast, mayeb squish some infantry, then theyll hav to fire on it, hopefully on the front, new damage table will help it stay alive, if it does fire everything next turn n assault with the boyz if u feel like caving in some skulls

also remember, every1 elses vehicles are nerfed as well, its a universal handicap

well not nessesarily for my hammerheads with multi, decoy n distruption pods :-)
so i can't fire my sms if i move over 12, i hope im not in range to use it anyway :p

totgeboren
02-06-2008, 19:21
I have already made a battlewagon with max big shootas, and im feeling kinda bummed about the new rules. But atleast it has got a killcannon too, and i guess its easier to drive and fire that than the much smaller big shootas? :wtf:

I dunno, the new defensive weapon rules are just stupid. On an ork vehicle, a big shoota isnt much better than a stormbolter on a SM vehicle in terms of killyness. I dont see why the orks should be punished just because they are bad marksmen? :eyebrows:

Anyhow, I think you should make the Battlewagon look as fearsome and orky as possible, cus thats the only proppa thing to do!

Meriwether
02-06-2008, 19:42
don't really see how they got better, its if u stand still n shoot, scatter n 1 d6, move n shoot, scatter n 2d6 pick the highest, the new rule book its always scatter n 2d6 add em subtract 2 for bs, so it was a possible 1-6inch scatter and now its a 2-10 inch scatter, unless in both cases u hit, which didnt change

Actually, under the new rules it's 1-10 inch scatter...

But the -2 means that you won't scatter on snakeyes, so now you have a 36% chance of it landing where you want, instead of 33%. When you *do* scatter it will be farther, but your chances of scattering off the target just went down slightly.

...and there are no partials anymore either, and that will help a lot.

Meri