PDA

View Full Version : Witch Elves, Executioners or Black Guard?

macejase
02-06-2008, 16:03
simple question, in a fast-pace army if you were only to take one of these 3 units what would it be and how big would it be? Im leading towards witch elves but wanted some other opinions

Lord Khabal
02-06-2008, 16:08
Witch Elves, full comand, 17 strong, 6 in front. War banner. Never failed me. You must mind the frenzy though...

Shamfrit
02-06-2008, 16:08
Personally, In my list, none of them.

Corsairs are much more versatile, and cheaper. But, on the merits of each, Witch Elves are brutal on the charge but are frenzied, Black Guard have Hatred, but hit easily enough anyway, and Executioners have killing blow, which won't be that used with 1 attack a piece.

Scythe
02-06-2008, 16:55
Depending on who you expect to face, either witch elves or executioners. Witch elves won't do you much good against Brettonians or Dwarves for example. Either way, deploy them wide, to maximize inpact (7 wide is optimal imho), then in 2 or 3 ranks, depending on wether you want a block or a support unit.

Makaber
02-06-2008, 18:15
I use Witch Elves a lot. Run them 7 wide and 2 deep, to maximise impact. The additional rank some suggest is really just a waste of points; it's either redundant against weak troops, or not enough to make a difference against the kind of opposition where the pure damage potential of the Witches aren't enough in itself. Add to this the huge cost of it, and you're better off spending the points elsewhere.

I use two units and a Cauldron of Blood. 22 attacks, poison and reroll to wound? Yes please.

I want to like the Executioners, but they just don't have the attacks they need to work. If you start buying ranks to make up for their lack of hitting power, you're better off with Corsairs or Spearmen.

Black Guard I don't have much experience with, but they seem too weak to be a good tarpit, and not strong enough for the offense. And again: The one attack really cramps their style. It doesn't matter how much Strength and Weapon Skill they might have; with one attack they never kill more than one model, which really puts a ceiling to their potential.

Aurellis
02-06-2008, 18:40
Personally I prefer Executioners, I run a unit of 12 with the War Banner as a hard hitting flanking unit. It's cheap, really effective and never fails me. Executioners are probably one of the most cost-effective units in the list at the moment.

Witch Elves aren't good enough for a mainstay choice imho because they're T3, have no armour save and are expensive. Then again they do deal alot of damage so i'd suggest considering what armies you'll be facin g before using them over Executioners.

txamil
02-06-2008, 23:58
I know you posted this in the tactics forum, but I must start by pointing out that both the executioner and the black guard models are some of the best in the game. The witch elf models are the worst in the DE army, save perhaps the cauldron itself.

Executioners are the only ones that fill a role that's hard to find a replacement for (I guess RBTs, maybe). If you're only taking 1 choose these guys!

Although BGs can take the charge and stop a hammer in one place long enough to hit in the flank. BGs in particular will stick around against cav armies.

Lord Khabal
03-06-2008, 13:35
Awhh!!!! Dont say that witch elves are ugly!!! I love them! In fact all 3 infantry elites have (In my opinion) beatiful minis and I would hate to lose them because I can't see how can they be improved.

- Witch elves are frenzied, fragile, and better suited to eliminate infantry.
- Black guards are a VERY expensive anvil unit. Their high WS means they can take a charge in the face. Just don't put them VS fear causing units.
- Executioners are the good all-rounder. cheapest of all 3, work OK vs most enemies. A balanced infantry elite unit.

Hope that helped. Personally I always take a witch elves unit. Never failed me. You just have to know how to use them effectively.

kroq'gar
03-06-2008, 13:45
Blackguard are easily the coolest... the best of the best in a ruthless society...

Scythe
03-06-2008, 17:35
I use Witch Elves a lot. Run them 7 wide and 2 deep, to maximise impact. The additional rank some suggest is really just a waste of points; it's either redundant against weak troops, or not enough to make a difference against the kind of opposition where the pure damage potential of the Witches aren't enough in itself. Add to this the huge cost of it, and you're better off spending the points elsewhere.

There is some merit in buying an extra rank against opponents with a lot of ranged firepower. Not great, but it can help. Anyway, it is not like dark elves usually have special slots to spare to take another unit instead.

That said, my witches and executioners are usually fielded 7x2 as well.

Scallat
03-06-2008, 22:03
Is this not kind of a moot point as the new rules for Dark Elves are out in 6 weeks?

Rubicon
04-06-2008, 11:35
At the moment, I'd almost certainly put Executioners in any list I write...Witch Elves get shot to shreds, especially against an opponent who has seen what they can do in combat.

Executioners have less of the scare factor and so are less likely to be faced with concentrated shooting, are excellent character hunters and with the banner of murder can act like shock cavalry.

Black Guard are way too expensive to use in anything less than 3k.

GrogsnotPowwabomba
05-06-2008, 13:50
simple question, in a fast-pace army if you were only to take one of these 3 units what would it be and how big would it be? Im leading towards witch elves but wanted some other opinions

None, because in a fast paced army all 3 choices will be left behind.

Having said that, in the new Dark Elf army, the choices will all be changing, some of them significantly, so if you can hold off for a few months, wait for the new book.

theunwantedbeing
05-06-2008, 14:01
Witch elves
no panic, lots of attacks, it doesnt matter if only 5 reach the enemy
Then Executionairs.
cheapest and they hit nice and hard
Then Black guard.
too damned expensive and they don't hit very hard

You could always get a hydra instead, it'll cost roughly the same....most likely draw fire like crazy but it's faster than the foot troops and causes terror and can shoot.
If you have black guard as an actual option then you have the rare slot free to take the hydra.