PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite aspect of Warhammer

Ethlorien
02-06-2008, 19:00
Hey Folks,

Just a quick question here - what would you say is your favority aspect of Warhammer: Reading the fluff/rulebooks, writing up army lists, painting, playing, etc...?

Thanks,

macejase
02-06-2008, 19:04
probably writing up a succesfull army list and then battling with it on the field (which i would count as one not two :p )

im a big fan of modelling and converting too, and painting depends on my mood

isidril93
02-06-2008, 19:15
everything but i love battling cos i dont battle often and it is even more fun when i do

and i love painting special things like chariots, characters and monster (but troops bug me especially when it is a box of 16)

i think the fluff is quite good

Weldo Rubin
02-06-2008, 19:50
Reading the Background.

OldMagik
02-06-2008, 20:04
urm my favorite would probably be making the army list. . . its fun trying to work out intresting army lists that fit some fluff like thing that will still work well as an army.

My second would be gaming, i mean isn't that the point. Its really fun and its funny to watch stupid things happen which only happen in battle . . :D

W0lf
02-06-2008, 20:15
Writing and playtesting army lists.

Tringsh
02-06-2008, 20:37
Converting minis and army themeing has to be my fave part but I love battling in cool scenarios too. :D

Bretonnian Lord
02-06-2008, 20:50
My Top 3 fav aspects (in order):

1. Collecting/painting models
2. Gaming
3. Reading army books/background

Jack of Blades
02-06-2008, 21:18
Probably creating army lists, thinking up characters, themes, units, reading background and such. The gaming part is a bonus, but yet also a necessity since without the gaming part, you'd have no use for the miniatures.

Disciple of Nagash
02-06-2008, 21:31
Fluff is easily the best for me, I love reading the background and descriptions and adding in fluff of my own. I suppose next would be kitting out characters into uber killing machines.

Alderhan
02-06-2008, 21:50
I haven't played in a long time, so at the moment I enjoy modeling and the background the most.

Artein
02-06-2008, 22:06
Usualy that way:
1. Reading books with fluff
2. Gaming
3. Looking at my models
4. Painting

Ethlorien
02-06-2008, 22:08
3. Looking at my models

Yes. I don't know how many times I come up from the basement and the wife asks the question: 'what have you been doing?'

'Looking at my models'.

Mulrak
02-06-2008, 22:30
Converting and Painting all my Orcish Bosses and Warbosses. Ive played and RPed quite abit over the years as an Orc and have given each Orc a name and a personal background. Now I can actually SEE and sculpt how I know my Orcs should be like.

Now they are real, and it takes on a whole new meaning.

Lordsaradain
02-06-2008, 22:43
Watching a finished army; converted, painted and based.

huitzilopochtli
02-06-2008, 22:53
writing up lists and thinking of bizarre ways to use my troops.

painting and making my models

theunwantedbeing
02-06-2008, 23:55
It varies depending upon my mood.
Generally it's seeing something that was once an idea, brought into life somehow by warhammer and shown to everyone around for all to admire.
Be that some clever tactic or a conversion or a paint scheme.

TheMav80
03-06-2008, 00:33
Actually playing the game. I love strategy games in general. So everything else that goes into Warhammer is all there just as an added bonus to me playing a strategy game.

Aurellis
03-06-2008, 10:22
I love painting and reading the background books

I love battling the most though... when i can fit games in around girlfriend, uni, work etc. :(

Whitehorn
03-06-2008, 10:28
Naked elves.

Leogun_91
03-06-2008, 10:54
Well gaming is best but at the moment Im in love with the washes so washing is number one for now.

Armilthuan
03-06-2008, 11:08
There is nothing more statisfying than having finally finished your army.

So as to say what I like:

The looks: 75%
The game: 60%
The story: 70%
The painting: 50%

That's about it.

Ward.
03-06-2008, 14:12
Naked elves.

Well played.

My favourite is the killin' part, even if I've had a less then average day and I'm loosing terribly, managing to kill a handful of models in one go will cheer me up.

TombKing101
24-06-2008, 04:11
I like collecting, and gaming. Painting would be third, with building last.

bob monkey
24-06-2008, 06:25
Ooo i love the playing part of it. But seeing your fully painted army is quite satisfactory.

Kirth
24-06-2008, 06:50
Close combat. I love the combat resolution system. Seeing average troops hold the line against the odds is the ultimate morale booster. When you expect them to fail, when theres only the slightest chance they will stick it out, when they are surrounded, flanked, and outmatched, yet they manage that double 1 result on the break test.

The hobby is at its best when your little miniature models hold their ground against insurmountable imaginary odds.

badgeraddict
24-06-2008, 14:31
My favourite aspect of the game;

Working out the best possible tactic at any given time, and watch as your dice rolling destroys your tactic! Or not!

In short I like the randomness that only dice can add to the game.

Doomseer
24-06-2008, 14:56
I thoroughly enjoy all aspects of the hobby but if I had to choose an order it would be:
1. Converting, building and painting.
2. Army listing and gaming.

Alathir
24-06-2008, 15:09
Playing the game and reading the background. Both are equally fun for me.

Chiron
24-06-2008, 17:17
To crush your enemies models, see them driven before your army, and to hear the lamentation and his womanly cries as he packs up.

And converting and modelling is good as well

Grey Seer Skretch
24-06-2008, 17:44
Nice thread man, like the positivity! :D

I love getting hold of a band new army book, pouring over it and formulating a plotline and a general or theme in my head, then spending weeks scribbling down lists, playign with ideas, gradually scrabbling the models together and then chucking them on the table, then watching the army develop its own narrative, its own rivalries or friendships between characters that come from adding just a few names and bit of your own fluff (The constant powerstruggle between my Grey Seer, Skretch, and his underling Warlock Engineer was legendary...). I love the whole process...and then i love dusting that army off, a year or so later, and doing it all over again!

The Guy
24-06-2008, 17:59
Easily the modelling part. I'm always looking at how I can convert units to make them more unique or look better.
All 4 of my inquisitor renitues are a mixture of space marine, catachan and blu tac with the occasional witch hunter/chaos dude thrown in.

I'm addicted to buying models just so I can put them together. I love the smell of glue and seeing a rack of sprues turn into a squad or two.
Unless it's superglue -.-

Second it's thinking up fluff for my armies.

Eternus
25-06-2008, 13:26
The Battles. Definitely the Battles.....

.........But the battles are so much better when they have a good background story and context, and are fought by decently painted armies over a great looking battlefield by like minded opponents who both want to get the best out of the hobby, win or lose.

That and Zombies....;)

Lotho
25-06-2008, 14:33
I enjoy it when a goblin pulls off ridiculous odds and kills a bret knight to beat combat res before running them down, or when one shoots an archer in a tower at long range and causes a panic test which fails.

They get an upgraded paint job for their performance :)

So yea, the odd funnies and I also like army backgrounds.

Llew
25-06-2008, 15:32
Painting the miniatures and building the terrain. My favorite moment in any game is right after deployment is finished when you have this great-looking battlefield set up.

Azmazi
25-06-2008, 15:47
Converting minis and army themeing has to be my fave part but I love battling in cool scenarios too. :D

I would have to say my main three things.
1. Converting models and making a bomb themed army (Hence why I originally went with VC some good time back, nothing like being able to jack anything and everything from another army and converting it heh..)
2. Making retarded comments while playing, which if you were ever at our gaming center it might scare you about how retarded we start to act in games, example is: "25 block of Chaos warriors charge your Black knights...Niggaaa!! What? Well I hope you enjoy the suprise butt sex coming from the REAR!!! OH NOZ..WHAT!! Ohhhh No he didn't!!, SNappleee!!. (Yes we really say this kinda stuff...best comment so far is..) Oh snapt, its Gingerbread Vampire...dude wtf? Catch him if ya can...*Flies 20 inches away from the BT* Nuh UH!!
3. Melting faces while making the comments above and everyone laughing too hard to care that their entire army just got molested...in a funny way. Also nothing like your buddies saying stuff like...OHHH Sh*#& they scary!! RUN!! (after failing a fear/terror check) and me replying...GIMMY THAT banner NAO!) god I am so going up there today for a game...already thinking how fun it is at my gaming group.

grownassman
25-06-2008, 17:05
I'd have to say my favorite part would have to be writing up an army list and a little fluff for it, then competing in campaigns. I enjoy one-off games as well but your wins and losses carry so much more weight when its in an intense campaign.

The Red Scourge
25-06-2008, 20:12
Smacking my opponent with my hardback rulebook, when he tries to bend it.

Nah.. Seriously. Its the moment before the big fight, when two fully painted battle lines face each other down over a great terrain. There is a little magic moment, where you play out the following 6 turns in your head, and wish for your battleplan to come through.

And then of course when you complete a centerpiece for your army like a shaggoth or an ancient treeman, and feel a little bit of the terror and awe it will inspire in those who will be run down and trampled under its feet. Then you know it has been worth the extra 5 hours of highlighting : )

logan054
25-06-2008, 20:46
I think for me its painting when im not painting the same model over and over again (yes i hate paint units), i also love playing the game, but i enjoy the image of two well painted armies on the board just as much as pulling off sneaky(ish) moves.

Crazy Harborc
25-06-2008, 21:18
The social interaction with opponents/friends/mates while gaming. Seeing all those minies on the table. The tactics, the luck of the dice rolls. Painting the minies. Accumulating all the minies I have for over 40 years. I have and do build terrain, buildings to use....a lot of accessories. Some only used once a year (or less:eek:)....I am a wargaming collector.

I am a wargamer who owns and uses many companie's minies, rules and accessories. I also have and use GW's goodies. I am not just a GW game player That is not a slight. Whatever floats your boat.;)

There was NO Games Workshop when I was growing up and becoming a wargamer.