PDA

View Full Version : Slamanders!!!!!!!!!

Rhamiel
02-06-2008, 19:47
hi there

i'm getting salamanders after my skaven army
and i've looked round the place looking for fluuf tactics etc.

so i was wondering if anyway could help in the area of:
Painting (i'm not good so please keep it simple maybe using new washes)
Tactics (i know about meltas and TH)
Fluff (just backround)
and anything else you can think of

thanks a lot

Rhamiel

the1stpip
02-06-2008, 19:51
Well, as far as painting is concerned, you have chosen the right chapter.

I find DA Green to be the best colour ever. A couple of highlights with a 50/50 Snot Green and then Snot Green and you are sorted.

As for fluff, try and get hold of Codex: Armageddon, or try using Google or Wikipedia.

Lord Damocles
02-06-2008, 19:51
Painting wise, you can't go far wrong with a black undercoat, Snot Green base coat, then spray 'em with whatever the new green wash is called. Pick out the metal with Boltgun Metal, and the shoulder pads with Chaos Black, and Roberts your father's bother.

different13
02-06-2008, 19:53
Just wait till the new Space Marine Codex, as Salamanders are rumoured to be getting a makeover - they'll be getting black skin (as in, jet-black) and glowing red eyes.
Also, the codex should include a special character for them (rumoured to be the chapter master)

Fay_Redd
02-06-2008, 19:57
yes, finally another fan of the salamaders.

they are a very cool force, but might i suggest you do not do marines till 5th ed dex, this will be better for you by miles, i know its ages off but still, i can see there being a big redux of the book, so i suggest you dont start them yet.

fluff wise, they come from a dark low-gravity world called vulcan (i think) this used to affect their rules in ammageddon book, they were I3 which was crazy. um elsewise, chaplain xavier the chapters chaplain. he mght be getting a look in with 5th ed dex which is cool, i believe he was a power armoured chaplain with crozius and thunder hammer that could re-roll wounds or summat. anyway ill say it again dont start till 5th ed codex, im holding off on my marine plans till then. also they enjoy close range fire-fights, flamers, meltas, plasmas and bolters, heavy weapons are rare for the sallys, but that will have to change with 5th ed what with 2 specials going (pinch of salt as its a rumour)

anyway, go for it. but not yet. concentrate of the chaos ratmen.

Rhamiel
02-06-2008, 20:30
hi fay_Redd right
i allready have a marine force (my DIY chapter) which will be finished by christmas (painted and everything)
i wont be starting the SALAMANDERS until august next year (14/15 months time) when i will go to a GW training day and go from there.

thanks people, oh also i will not (pretty much ever) have the spray gun thingamajig to paint with unless at the GW train corse (the help paint and more) let me use one.

at the moment i think i will do this (tell me if it wouldn't work):
1) Black Spray Coat
2) DA Green Layer
3) 50/50 DA/Scorpian Green
4) 50/50 Scorpain/Snot
5) Thraka Green (new wash)

hows that i think i'll make a test model then try that (when i get the paints :D)

write soon

Rhamiel

Grimtuff
02-06-2008, 20:51
Just wait till the new Space Marine Codex, as Salamanders are rumoured to be getting a makeover - they'll be getting black skin (as in, jet-black) and glowing red eyes.
Also, the codex should include a special character for them (rumoured to be the chapter master)

I think you're confusing them with the "Stelth Mirines".....

Big TM
02-06-2008, 20:58
Chapter MAster Tu'Shan is in the New MArine dex

Rhamiel
02-06-2008, 21:01
awsomeness and win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhamiel

Blue Orphen
03-06-2008, 01:24
I play Salamanders.

Cleanse and Purify + Drop Pods. Dual Flamers or Dual Meltas in 10-man Tactical Squads, with Vet Sgts carrying Power Fists and Combi-Melta/Flamer.

I also use some Dreds with Heavy Flamers in Drop Pods.

They are one of the best armies for Drop Pod Assaulting, landing nice and close to rapid fire their bolters and put those Assault weapons to good use.

As for painting...
1) Chaos Black
2) Two thin coats of Knarloc Green
3) Two thin coats of Snot Green
4) Eye lenses are done in yellow, chest eagles done in bronze.

Rhamiel
03-06-2008, 16:08
hang on i checked the GW site

there is no paint called Knarloc green
where is it from?

thanks

painting is ok but still keep them coming (what about my idea?)
tactics i would like the most (oh and yeh i heard about the drop poding awsome idea!)
the planet is called Nocturne (not Vulcan)

think thats it keep the ideas coming

Rhamiel

Grimtuff
03-06-2008, 16:17
hang on i checked the GW site

there is no paint called Knarloc green
where is it from?

thanks

Yes there is. It's a Foundation Paint.

Jayspoonio
03-06-2008, 16:27
From Fay_Red:
'fluff wise, they come from a dark low-gravity world called vulcan (i think)'

Their world is called Nocturne. Their primarch is called Vulcan. He was known for his feats of strength, and his craftsmanship (he was a blacksmith IIRC).
So for fluff, and fluffy tactics, lots of master-crafted weapons and artificer armour is appropriate, as well as the obvious melta weapons. They're also big on heroism, so don't be afraid to go all out on veteran sergeants and characters.
Also, have fun with a chapter that just doesn't get the love and respect it deserves. I personally plan to get a Salamanders force going once the new codex comes out.

Rhamiel
03-06-2008, 17:43
well this is just an awsomeness bonus

i just found 4 meltaguns and 4 flamers around my house

this is going to supply me with somem great tac squads with melta and flamer (as that should make sense :))

sorry about the paint found it now
also when i start i'll be going to a GW training course so they will help with the painting but if i think any of your ideas are better i'll use them instead (;))

thanks keep it coming

Rhamiel

Ravening Wh0re
03-06-2008, 17:55
Love 'em :)

Black undercoat
Snot Green (add a little Dark Angels Green if you prefer)
Detail in Gold
Metallics in Chainmail
Yellow Eyes

All my vets have some kind of flame motif somewhere on their body.
They like wearing salamander pelts
They are skilled artificers so detail on weapons and armour. Have access to many terminators.

Penchant for flamers, meltas, and thunderhammers.
So, multimeltas and meltaguns are good. Flamers too.
Thunderhammer armed Terminator Assault squads are great too.

The new codex in the near future will have a new Land Raider with flamers. Take this!
Also, a new dreadnought with flamey death (Ironclad), take this too!

Apparently Tu'shan (Salamander Chapter Master) will allow your meltas and flamers reroll hits. Thunderhammers are all mastercrafted. These are the rumour rumblings anyway.

Gimp
03-06-2008, 18:13
Oh man I love these guys

Coming from Africa I feel they represent :cool:

northoceanbeach
03-06-2008, 18:57
I just about finished mine and I painted them like this, I think the colours were the right shades together.

Grey primer(black would make that darker, either way)
snot green based
dark green ink
more snot green base
goblin green highlights
little bits of scorpion green highlights(don't overdo)

Rhamiel
03-06-2008, 19:21
one question has anyone tried the washes yet?

i know they are not out but you can still try them in your GW i mean my brother did?

just wondering

i dont really like using inks but i'll try it,
ho northoceanbeach could you show me some picys thanks (just to see what they look like :))

Rhamiel

skullcandy
03-06-2008, 19:26
Black Primer,
two base coats of slightly thinned snot green.
light drybrushing of goblin green, thin tiny scorpion green highlights. That last one with the highlights is the reason why i paint like maybe 2 models over the course of 3 hours. I'm really slow when it comes to painting, but with salamanders it really is qaulity over qauntity.

victorpofa
03-06-2008, 21:49
I personally plan to get a Salamanders force going once the new codex comes out.

Me too! ;)

I have been contemplating Salamanders as a 4th marine army when I eventually catch up with the other 5 armies I have lined up. The rumors about the new kit in the 5E Marine codex and the new boxed set are a perfect fit with Sallies. Fiery and Melta death :evilgrin: I even have a Xavier model already. :angel:

Phyros
03-06-2008, 22:59
I played them back in the heyday of 3rd when they had their own Codex, and Rhino Rush was accceptable.

No one else in the store had them so I figured I'd give them a shot. It amused me to no end when playing out of town tournaments and people thought "Oh, Salamanders...I3 chumps" only to get a face full of two flamers and then green armor assaulting and winning the majority of the time.

I even had the gall to take an Assault Squad each battle.

Ah...good times.

Dr.Clock
04-06-2008, 01:05
Multi-meltas for the win...

For the record: a box of saurus warriors will set you up to convert a sizable force - say hello to the Firedrakes... the shields alone are a godsend [with any luck, the new veterans will be able to take combat shields].

The crests can be trimmed for shoulder-pads and the hand weapons look awesome. The spikes on the back can also be added to greaves and the like.

Finally, Lord Kroak's death-mask makes a crazy good terminator shoulder-pad with minimal bending. And let's not forget Malus Darkblade's cloak.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Fixer
04-06-2008, 14:13
http://www.slightlyodd.co.uk/allofthem.jpg
http://www.slightlyodd.co.uk/3000.jpg

I am well prepared for 5th :)

Undercoat Black, Snot Green, Darken down with Dark Angels/snot green, highlight with scorpion green/snote green.

MeltaBombed
04-06-2008, 15:01
Like the fire on the Vindi, have done the same on my captain, dread and firedrakes

Phyros
04-06-2008, 16:18
My main page, it only has vehicles in it for now.
Maybe I'll get around to taking squad pics later today.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v625/Phyros26/Salamanders/

Rhamiel
04-06-2008, 17:31
i' not really in it for conversions thanks though

there's a Xavier model :o

Rhamiel