PDA

View Full Version : 250 Point Dol Amroth Army

Guard Of The Citadel
02-06-2008, 20:09
I am soon hoping to get some Dol Amroth models so I thought I would make a 250 Point army :)

Prince Imrahil Of Dol Amroth - 135
Knight Of Dol Amroth With Banner - 39
9 Knights Of Dol Amroth - 81

Total - 255

Leviro
03-06-2008, 14:36
I like it especially imrahil, but its very small. I guess its normal that an elite army at 250pts is small

Guard Of The Citadel
03-06-2008, 14:51
Yeah it is a bit small, but Imrahil is worth the 135 Points and the Knights are really good with the dol amroth for gondor special rule (always count as being in the affect of a banner if imrahil is within 12")

Pitalla Crimson
08-06-2008, 16:16
I would take out the banner and throw more units.
I think its a really small force for 250 points tought you should give it a try to see how it goes.

lotrchampion
08-06-2008, 16:49
Why is Imrahil in there? At 250pts he is a complete waste. By the time your forces reach the enemy, they will most probably have taken out 3-4 blokes with bowfire alone. You'll then be looking at facing a force that will far outnumber you with around 7 blokes. Imrahil can easily be pulled off a combat and kept busy while the others are surrounded and killed. Imrahil is such a points drain at this level that there is no point in his presence.

Personally, I would be inclined to drop out Imrahil in favour of a Captain of Dol Amroth. He's easily enough at this level with FV5, and should do well with careful use of Might points. I would also look to include some Rangers of Gondor-brilliant archers which should provide much needed firepower. Give them spears and sit them behind your Knights and you have a highly defensive and powerful shield wall. For even more potency in combat, some M@A with Pikes form an excellent back rank. This gives you a D6 frontage with enough attacks to win most combats. Your archers can dent a fair hole in the enemy lines, picking at weak spots, and allowing you to play fairly defensive and force them to come to you. With good positioning and one flank anchored to a terrain piece, these guys become difficult to flank and force the enemy to close and engage the front as soon as possible, where you can bring the sheer number of attacks to bear.

Based on this, I'd go for:

Captain of Dol Amroth
7 Knights of Dol Amroth
7 Rangers w/ Spears
7 Men at Arms of Dol AMorth w/ Pikes

22 models at 250pts, a good count; 7 shots per turn, hitting on 3s; breaking after losing 11 blokes. Not a bad force IMO.

Guard Of The Citadel
08-06-2008, 20:09
Personally, I would be inclined to drop out Imrahil in favour of a Captain of Dol Amroth. He's easily enough at this level with FV5.

A captain of Dol Amroth is FV4...

lotrchampion
08-06-2008, 20:56
So he is. My mistake, apologies. :)

Still, Imrahil is a points drain at 250 IMO. No need to have such a powerful hero because noone can match him-this may seem a good thing, but he uses so many points up that you are then easily broken and then reduced to 25% for an enemy victory.

SirSnipes
08-06-2008, 22:05
ill take it on with my 250 pts, 10 goblin archers
20 goblin spears
20 goblin shields
muhahahahaha

Kroot Lord
09-06-2008, 07:14
Imrahil is an excellent choice. In fact, he is one of the best if not the best hero to compliment the rest of his army. However, not at 250 points. At 250 points I'd suggest going for a normal Captain of Dol Amroth (perhaps use the Imrahil model for bigger games), and the rest a mix of Knights on foot, Rangers with spears and Men at Arms.

You'll be tempted to make a pikeblock, which I do not disagree with, but you don't want 7/7/7 (and with the Captain 8/7/7). You want it more like 8/7/6 or 9/7/5, because you will hardly every be able to form a solid pikeblock, and chances are that you'll lose more then two Knights before you get to the combat line. Losing two knights means your formation will be harder to defend/attack with, so you want a buffer.