PDA

View Full Version : Black Templar Force Organisation?

Lordsaradain
02-06-2008, 22:19
Hi guys.

My friend just got back to his BT army after some time of absence from WH40k. He needs some help how to set up his force to make it a fun and competative (competetive is important... I want at least some resistance when I spank him with my CSM :) ) force.

ATM he has got a squad of Sword Breathren, 2 normal BT squads (1 ML in one of them, dont know about the rest) Emperors Champion and Dreadnought.

He plans on getting a squad of Terminators next, but is unsure wheater to go for an assault or normal squad. The assault squad definetly looks meaner, but a normal squad would proably be more useful as he already has some capable melee units?

In addition, he wants to buy a predator, he is leaning toward Twin LC turret and HB side sponsons, would this be the best basic setup for his army?

Any fellow BT players out there, please lend some advice to my buddy on how to expand his army and how to equip his models and any other useful tips. Btw, the armies he will face regularly are IG, CSM and Eldar, so his force needs to be able to cope with all these armies.

ZiggyTempest
02-06-2008, 22:21
How are the crusader squads constructed? It's a good tactic to have big squads of at least 15 men sloggin it and a bonus to have a chaplain attached to one.

TheDarkDuke
02-06-2008, 23:10
Meltaguns are the most useful special weapon. If he is hurting on any tank hunting capabilities I would go for the Terminators with assault cannons, if not the assault are pretty hard. A LRC is a great option for BT and will be even better based off of the rumors of the upcoming edition. If he goes with a Pred, I would set it up with all lascannons.

Tauva
03-06-2008, 01:04
If he goes with a Pred, I would set it up with all lascannons.

i would second that idea. also multimelta attack bikes give the templars some nuch needed mobile firepower, as something to think about. i would also suggest at least 1 more large unit of initiates, and if he wants a small tank i'd go for a vindicator.

while LRC will be epically hard in 5th ed, its still a very high points sink (if now a much more viable one), and i wouldnt bother with the termies without a transport or at least deep striking in mind.

finally, he needs another HQ choice, either a force commander or chaplain. (as the emperorschampion is not a true HQ choice) i'd buy the Grimlaudus set and use him as a normal chaplain as he's a great figure and has 3 cenobytes.

for tactics, take the vow that gives your force preferred enemy, 5th ed makes this skill downright nasty.

against gaurd tool with flamers, get as close as possible as fast as possible then stab stuff (assuming its not a tank unit) while your firepower zips around cooking off side armour with multimeltas. also normal bikes can take 2 or 3 meltas and thier speed means they can get close enough to use them with the extra d6 penetration.

against CSM there will be a lot of 3+ saves on the table, hard to give any solid tactics without knowing the army composition, same goes for eldar but against eldar advancing gunline has always worked ok for me. i have found that the best thing to remember with templars is if in doubt, hit things until they die in CC.

the other thing that EVERY black templar player in the universe should remember is that the emperors champion is a slave to sods law. against any low points easy to kill enemies your dice rolling for him will be terrible, and he will die, yet given the chance the dice gods will see him kill off bloodthirsters and c'tan

chinnfrequent
03-06-2008, 01:30
First off, he needs another HQ as the champion doesn't count as the required one.

General rule of thumb for crusader squads.
-Assault - 15+ men with powerfist, melta, ccws (should have atleast two of these)
-Close support - 8-10 with plasma, bolters
-Ranged support - 5 with heavy weapon

Predators with TL-lascannon and heavy bolters is the setup I use. This is partly due to heavy bolters currently being defensive, so it can always move and fire everything. It's also quite versatile. Anything thing that can destroy a Hammerhead one turn and cut down a squad of Fire Warriors the next is great in my book.

Sword brethren, while having awesome models, are not the most useful unit the Templar have. He'd probably be best using the models to represent Marshals and what not.

When using terminators, it's usually best to go with normal ones. They're more versatile and can give ranged support he will be lacking. Assault terminators are best used with a LRC; they'll butcher whatever they hit, but it's an expensive set up. I usually don't use terminators until 1750+ point games myself, though that may change with 5th.

I'd advise getting an Assault Squad so you have something that doesn't rely on zeal to move fast.

Lordsaradain
03-06-2008, 20:26
How useful is a SM dreadnought? As I play CSM I tend to stay away from dread... far. Should he go for the anti tank setup with TL LC generally, or Asscannon and CC weapon?
If the dread is used as antiarmour also, wouldnt a Predator with TL-lascannon and heavy bolters be better(definetly cheaper) alternative than going all out on LC's?

On the termies... no assault ones unless they have a LR?

Lordsaradain
13-06-2008, 16:41
*bump*

Any BT players out there?

TheDarkDuke
14-06-2008, 04:22
How useful is a SM dreadnought? As I play CSM I tend to stay away from dread... far. Should he go for the anti tank setup with TL LC generally, or Asscannon and CC weapon?
If the dread is used as antiarmour also, wouldnt a Predator with TL-lascannon and heavy bolters be better(definetly cheaper) alternative than going all out on LC's?

On the termies... no assault ones unless they have a LR?

The general rule of thumb IMO, is either maximize your range capability on a dread or maximize it for CC in any other SM army. I think in a BT army they play a different role. Due to the very much CC nature of BT, I find that you should have more then enough combat units, but will probably be lacking in sturdy range shooting platforms or tank hunting abilities. So I think for BT going shooty heavy Dreads are more in line of how to use them. However drop pod them with say some infiltrated sword brethren a LRC driving forward with a big payload and some big Crusader Squads foot slogging it, can create too many targets for an oppenent.

Well a Dread is gonna have an affect in cc where as a Pred is not. As for Assault Terminators they are deadly from a LRC, the other way and just as expensive point wise I have seen is a big old unit of 10 foot slogging. They are a big target but, also the fear of killing a single one to have them move a possible 6" closer for quicker assaults is also a scary thing if your not able to seriously hinder there numbers before they make it into combat.

Gov
14-06-2008, 04:34
Uses a large unit of assault terms with furous charge+ grimaldas in tow. it great because small arms fire will kill one of, you get a d6+3 RZ move for free.
Then in assault you throw the relic, and it gives you
5 attacks at S5 hitting every one on 3s (the vow accept any challange) rerolling due to grimaldas, then wounding on 3 normally, with a reroll because of lighting claws, no armour saves. all at I5.

just plan nasty