PDA

View Full Version : Which edition to chose?

Etienne de Beaugard
03-06-2008, 02:35
Hi,

I'm trying to pick up a copy of the rules for LotR to adapt for historical skirmish gaming (Hundred years war era). I regulary see used RotK rules on ebay for low prices.

What changed in the rules in the latest edition? Were core rules changed, or do changes occur mostly in army lists and scenarios? Is the RotK book still a viable source for the rules?

Dinadan
03-06-2008, 11:46
There were several subtle changes to the core rules, such as the way failed courage tests work when charging terrifying enemies or at break point. There were a couple of other things, but I can't remember them offhand. If you're looking for them as a basis for your own gaming system like you mention, then the old RotK rules will work fine.

Odin
03-06-2008, 13:11
I was working on something similar - also 100 years war based. Would be interested to see what you come up with, will you be putting it in the rules development section?

I think the Core LotR rules will work just fine. You may need to make some changes to the weapon rules though (I had all bows firing twice per turn if stationery, as rate of fire was one of their main advantages over crossbows).