PDA

View Full Version : Running a league

jazzdude78
03-06-2008, 08:30
I plan on actually moderating a league myself, so do y'all have any advice for me?

Running LRB 4 as its what fummbbl uses btw.

Darkson
03-06-2008, 11:28
Even though I'm a huge fan of LRB4 over LRB5, I'd suggest using the LRB5 Team Value mechanic rather than the LRB4 Team Rating. Also, I'd suggest making Dirty Player +1 or +1, rather than the +2/+2 it was under the older rules.

How many people, how long, and what sort of points system are you intending to use?

jazzdude78
08-06-2008, 23:18
I'm at around 6 or so folks currently, probably make everyone play everyone twice. Then head to a playoffs from there.

Was again gonna run it more or less straight outta LRB4.

Deng Ham
09-06-2008, 21:30
Have a look at the LRB5 before you do. It's a mutch better at organizing leagues. In 4'th you had teams that became overpowerd very quickly. But I think that the 5'th rules deal with this in a mutch better way.

AlmightyNocturnus
12-06-2008, 06:16
First off, I recommend LRB5 - it`s just better and more fair.

Second, keep track of individual stats. It keeps the players motivated even when they`re not winning games. I always announce TD leaders, Passing leaders, krunch leaders (most injuries inflicted), and foul leaders before each round of games. Then...

Third, have an All Star Game at the end of the season. Divide your league into two divisions (Evil vs. Good, Elf vs, non-elf, etc.) and each team "donates" a certain number of players to their respective all star game. For example, or current league has 8 teams, 4 good, 4 evil. In the ASG, each team provides their 4 top SPP collectors (or league leaders - in fouls, for example) to the team. During the game, the four "evil" coaches rotate control of the team each turn (and the "good" coaches do the same). You get some fun combos and such...but just remember that every All Star has a personal apothecary, so permanent injuries of casualties.

Fourth, get the trophies and play the four major tournies. It also motivates the players. Try different formats too (league style, round robin, one-loss and out tournaments, etc.)

Last, I also write a newsletter (via email) that`s kind of written in the style of a Jim and Bob ESPN sports review show. Mention the hilights, good and bad.

I hope this gives you some good ideas.

Almighty Nocturnus

P.S. Be a hard a$$. I always run my league as fair as possible and avoid rule bending or questionable house rules that may give some teams an advantage. Our group has always enjoyed this way (2 years and going strong). Another guy in our group tried to run a Mighty Empires league and he just kept allowing more and more exceptions and soon all of the players got pissed off and quit after only 3 rounds.