PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into 40k after 8 years

NakedBarbarian
03-06-2008, 09:04
Hey all,

I pretty much exclusively play fantasy with a 12 000 pt mortals, beasts and daemons chaos army. I haven't played 40k in 8 years and am going to restart my aborted attempt at an imperial gaurd cadian army after the release of the new rule book.

All i have at the mo is;

1 commisar
40 gaurdsman
and 1 leman russ

Any idea what direction the IG are going? and what units should i look at to build a 1500 pt army? (i have the most recent IG codex but i REALLY have no idea what im doing and what units do what) Keep in mind its going to be a cadian kinda fluff army.

All suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Plastic Rat
03-06-2008, 09:32
Don't know if you've seen it, but there are some rumours up on Bell of Lost Souls.

http://belloflostsouls.blogspot.com/

I'd say it's hard to draw a bead on their direction at this early stage. Based purely on that rumoured special rule Platoon Drill, I'd say gunline maybe...

Really like the idea of aircav with the Valkyrie.

IJW
03-06-2008, 10:16
Rumours which came from this site and are credited on BoLS to Warseer... ;)

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145820

Klam
03-06-2008, 13:05
Hey all,

I pretty much exclusively play fantasy with a 12 000 pt mortals, beasts and daemons chaos army. I haven't played 40k in 8 years and am going to restart my aborted attempt at an imperial gaurd cadian army after the release of the new rule book.

All i have at the mo is;

1 commisar
40 gaurdsman
and 1 leman russ

Any idea what direction the IG are going? and what units should i look at to build a 1500 pt army? (i have the most recent IG codex but i REALLY have no idea what im doing and what units do what) Keep in mind its going to be a cadian kinda fluff army.

Same to me, left when 3rd ED came and just making a come back atm for 5ED with guards too.
To be honest am just making the core, bought like 60 men, some special and heavy weapons, HQ, commissars, priests and rough riders.
Planning to buy tanks soon like some Russ + Sentinels guess you can't be wrong by making core IG units.

Brimstone
03-06-2008, 16:45

Paint lots of troops & tanks that should keep you busy until the next codex comes out.

MorningLightMountain
03-06-2008, 18:00
More Guardsmen. You'll always need more Guardsmen. If a problem can't be solved by using loads of Guardsmen then you just need to use more Guardsmen.

Let's say you're facing a force of 50 Space Marines. That's 100 shots per turn. So over 6 turns you'll need at least 600 Guardsmen. Then you'll win.

victorpofa
03-06-2008, 21:26
Hey all,

You might look into the new Daemons of Chaos codex since you have a bunch from Fantasy. That way you can play while working on your Guard.

So far as Guard are concerned you need a few things no matter what the new Codex looks like. Namely, Officers. You need one for the main Command squad, and one for each Platoon you make so say three minimum. Some of your Guardsmen will be needed for the command squads so more Guardsmen. Finally, you might want some Heavy Weapon Teams. After that you can look into more Armor such as Hellhounds, Chimeras and more Russ'. I'd hold off on the Russ' since the rumors indicate the return of at least one variant, and plastic bits for Demolishers when the new Codex comes out.

That should keep you busy for a while :angel::evilgrin:

NakedBarbarian
04-06-2008, 08:36
All these suggestions are great guys!

I was considering perhaps doing some sort of Cadian mechanized division with all gaurdsmen in chimeras with the rest of the force consisting of heavy tanks and sentinels. How well do these sort of armies work? (keeping in mind i don't give a stuff about WAAC, i just like having fun, tho a little competitive edge is always nice :) )

Also, what is a good size for a platoon? at the mo i have one platoon with 40 gaurdsmen and am going to buy a command section specifically for the platoon which would bulk it up to the max five squads per one platoon, am i correct in thinking i would basically need TWO of these to meet the minimun troop requirements? (the 40k force organisation chart is chinese to me, im used to lord, hero, core, special and rare slots)

MorningLightMountain
04-06-2008, 12:48
Yeah one platoon is one troops choice and you need a minimum two troops choices.
One infantry squad in a Chimera (Armoured Fist Squad) is a troops choice too though, so you with your 40 guys you could get One command squad amd make a platoon of 30 grunts and a command squad, and then get a chimera and have the Armoured Fist as your other troops choice.

You can have more infantry squads in one platoon, but be aware that your troops have relatively low Leadership, which is very important in 40K. Your troops can use the leadership of your officer, which is higher, but only if he's within 12" of them. So huge platoons are great in one respect, as per my "not as flippant as it seems" comment above :), but on the other hand smaller platoons means more officers-per-grunt which means your guys are more likely to stand and fire than run away.

Mechanised will be expensive cash wise. If you're not using grenadiers, then mechanised will mean at least 5 chimeras, that's at the very basic bare minimum. An armoured fist is a good place to start as you'll get a feel of how fragile the Chimeras are, it'll be good for objective grabbing in some missions (timed correctly), and, you'll only have to buy one.