PDA

View Full Version : Empire Outriders

Bortus
03-06-2008, 11:20
Just thought I'd post this thread and see what everyones opinions are of this unit. I personally think BS 4 fast cavalry with multiple str. 3 attacks is an awesome thing! Haven't ran an Empire army since way before this last edition came out and it sure seems like this particular unit would be way worth taking. Any opinions?

Makaber
03-06-2008, 14:56
A lot of people are upset that their weapons are move or fire, which sort of defeats the usual purpose of fast cavalry. However, they are awesome as a super-mobile firebase, and their 360 degrees fire arch is very handy.

Llew
03-06-2008, 15:46
If you view them as a unit of very mobile handgunners, they're pretty useful. You can put a lot of shots anywhere you want if you can wait to turn to use them. It would be nice if they could move and fire, but you should be able to put them wherever you need extra firepower. You just have to position them carefully, and they're pretty vulnerable to enemy shooting.

Also, IIRC, while each *model* has a 360 firing arc, they can't shoot through other models in the unit, so it's more like having a wide front and rear firing arc. (The rear firing arc can be handy if anyone is foolish enough to try to get behind them.)

Overall, I like them, but they're not the slam dunk choice they'd be if they could move and fire. (And probably that's a good thing.)

Irisado
03-06-2008, 18:08
Outriders are a bit like a glass rapier.

If you are clever with your deployment, and cunning about when you move them, they will blast your opponents into oblivion.

If you are indecisive with them, or move them too often, they will not fire often enough to achieve anything, and if you leave them stationary for too long, they are vulnerable to being overwhelmed or outmanoeuvred by the enemy.

As for the glass rapier idea, if you use them well with precision attacks against isolated enemy units on the flanks, it's like using a rapier for a precise strike.

If you use them against the wrong target, or inappropriately, they will just be smashed to pieces, as though you had dropped your glass rapier onto a tiled floor.

I'm somewhat ambivalent about Outriders. They have potential, but they are little bit too fiddly to use in my opinion. I prefer Pistoliers. I like to keep my cavalry on the move.

Lordsaradain
03-06-2008, 19:26
Another thread on the same subject:
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145120&highlight=outrider

Gazak Blacktoof
03-06-2008, 20:38
As already mentioned they're excellent but vulnerable to return fire.

Th concentration of fire they provide makes them well worth slipping into a battle line. When the opposition get in close you can then slip behind their units to creat crossfires and continue to shoot at any units still unengaged.