PDA

View Full Version : Fellowship of the Ring Journeybook - what models would I need?

Odin
03-06-2008, 12:23
I've been trying to get my mates into LotR (they just play WHFB and 40K at the moment). Reckon the best option is to organise a campaign based on the Fellowship journeybook. That ought to involve quite a small number of models, so it's far easier to convince them.

There used to be a fantastic series of articles on the GW website, with mini-battle reports of each of the scenarios of FotR. Seems to have gone sadly. So I was wondering if anyone could advise me what models I will need to do the campaign? I might trim it down a bit to avoid having to paint up models that are only useful for one scenario. And I might take a few liberties with representing models (ringwraiths will do fine as Barrow-Wights for example).

At the moment, I'm thinking of splitting up the buying/collecting duties as follows:

Me

Fellowship

Uruk-Hai Scouts (Lurtz, Ugluk and 24 scouts?)

Mate 1

Ringwraiths (are all 9 needed on foot and mounted?)

Mate 2

Moria Goblins (how many Captains & Goblins? 1 troll?)
Balrog

...any other essential models? Might get Glorfindel I suppose. Perhaps use Rangers of Gondor as Dunedain (I'm working on an Osgiliath-themed force as well, so will double up reasonably well).

Dinadan
03-06-2008, 12:33
Not sure what you'll need, but it should say in the Journey Book (or at least it should give a list of recomended participents). If you haven't got it, then pick it up as it contains the scenarios you'll need for such a campaign (and if your mates enjoy it, pick up the TTT and RotK Journey books aswell to continue the campaign to its true conclusion).

Baggers
03-06-2008, 12:37
Basically you will need the following.

Fellowship
Ringwraiths, both mounted and on foot
Dunedain
Moria Goblins
Uruk Hai
Various characters like Arwen and Lurtz
Wargs
Tentacles

That's all I can remember

Odin
03-06-2008, 13:03
Cheers, I got the full list of participants.

I'll definitely pick up the book, just wanted to make sure it was all feasible first.

So, my plan is to buy and paint:

Fellowship
Lurtz
24 Uruk-Hai Scouts (annoying that 8 of them have no shields :( )

9 Ringwraiths (foot and mounted)

Balrog
2 Goblin Captains
24 Goblins
Cave Troll

I already have the Fellowship and the Goblins and Troll from the Mines of Moria box, so I'm halfway there already.

I'll skip the scenarios with Wild Wargs, and use other models to represent the likes of Gildor, Dunedain, Tom bloody stupid Bombadil and the tentacles.

Should be easy enough to convince them to go along with that. The rest is up to LotR really - if it's good enough (and I think it is) they should be hooked by the end.

Dinadan
03-06-2008, 13:15
On the Wargs, if you decide to continue with TTT, then you'll need some for then, so you might aswell pick some up now. Also, for the Dunedain, if you pick up a box of plastic Rangers now, you'll have them ready for TTT and RotK, aswell as having suitable stand-ins for the Dunedain.

Odin
03-06-2008, 13:23
On the Wargs, if you decide to continue with TTT, then you'll need some for then, so you might aswell pick some up now. Also, for the Dunedain, if you pick up a box of plastic Rangers now, you'll have them ready for TTT and RotK, aswell as having suitable stand-ins for the Dunedain.

Yeah, might see if I can persuade one of the other guys to chip in with this. I did want a few Wargs to add to the Isengard scout force I will have started to build up with Lurtz and the uruk-hai scouts. And one of the guys has a small Mordor army which he was thinking of getting some warg riders for, so if we pool our resources it might work.

Is it easy enough to build the wargs with removeable riders so they can be used as either?

As for the Dunedain, that was basically my plan. I have some men of Minas Tirith, Clansmen of Lamedon and will be getting Boromir and Faramir to create an Osgiliath army. Once that's painted up I will add to it with Damrod, Madril and some Rangers (dont really want to buy 24 of them though!).

Dinadan
03-06-2008, 14:37
I'm fairly sure that you can build the Wargs to have removable riders. If I recall correctly, the Wargs have a hole on their backs that fits a peg attached to the riders in (i.e. the riders have a plastic peg between their legs whichs slots into the Warg's back), so if you don't glue the riders to the Wargs (which you shouldn't need to anyway) you can simply leave the riders off when you want wild wargs/loose wargs (and put in the tuft on mane that is also on the sprue at these times) and put them on when you want ridden wargs.

haldirelrond
16-06-2008, 10:05
i would say to get some elfs and the mo arwen and frodo model also gildor i got it and was going to do the same as what you are doing