PDA

View Full Version : Hordes of chaos list. Tactics please

Warhammer_freak
22-10-2005, 19:25
Hi all. Done 1 or 2 of these before but am slowing making my army bigger.

Please keep in mind I am limited to the models in this list + a few more not included so would mainly like advice on how to use it, what to upgrade and what not to.

I'm also a fan of WYSIWYG.

Another thing is I'm mainly facing skaven (so go figure lol)

Well here it is.

Lord
D mount
Runesword
Gaze of the gods 363

Exalted champion
Mark of KHORNE
+1 hand weapon
Amulet of chaos 184

Chaos Sorcerer
Lvl 2
Steed
Dispel scroll 161

Chaos Sorcerer
Lvl 2
Spell familiar
Dispel scroll 160

5 Chaos Knights
Command
War banner
CHOSEN 300

5 Chaos Knights
Command 215

12 Warriors
Command
Shield 210

12 Warriors
Command
Shield 210

12 Warriors
Command
Shield
Mark of KHORNE 255

10 Marauders
Command
Light armour
Flails 95

22 Marauders
Command
Light armour
Shield 179

Chaos Chariot 120

Chaos Chariot 120

Hellcannon
Spellbreaker 295

The army most probably has to be 2500 points to be realistic and not stretch items out of proportion.

Other models I have are.
Hero on foot
khorne lord on daemon steed
Lord on chaos dragon
Chaos spawn
Bloodthirster
Lord of change

Thanks for any help given :)

MarcoPollo
26-10-2005, 00:58
Convert one of your knights to khorne and keep the other chosen. This will balance out the attack of your shock troops and keep a definite bullseye of the chosen. Often I play my chosen knights without the standard and musician and use them stritcly as shock troops and expect them to break. This makes me get them in quick and keep them around for the final charges at the end of the game when they rally. Also, I don't loose Victory points for a lost banner.

I'm not sure the runesword helps here. It only goes with a general with a mark. If you already have a Khorne general, those points will not help so much. Instead, use the runesword on a Mage lord of slaanesh, nurgle etc to get value from it.

Spawns are great speed bumps againts hammer/anvil tactics but will do little against a cavalry charge.

Get some marauder horsemen and get some flails and construct a good flanking cavalry. If you like khorne, there is a "mutation" called blood fever that gives frenzy to troops that are beside the character. I'll put this mutation on a hero on a horse and ride him with horsemen with flails to get a great shock troop for the price. Also, a great weapon is better than two hand weapons because he will stick around and be able to auto kill chariots.

I hate chaos warriors. They are far too expensive to move so slow. Use bigger units of marauders and save those points. Sure they look pretty and can dish out the pain. But they tend to flee from combined charges due to their heavy point cost.

You may also want to consider using some beasts to help screen your expensive troops from missle fire. It is such a pitty to see your nicely painted warriors get shot up before they can get to the front lines.

Warhounds are also invaluable to help those frenzies troops stay under control. Otherwise, they will get led around by the nose.

With chaos, it is important to get them fighting and to keep them there. A battle standard bearer is a good investment (cheaper if you use beasts).

Latro
26-10-2005, 08:39
If you like khorne, there is a "mutation" called blood fever that gives frenzy to troops that are beside the character. I'll put this mutation on a hero on a horse and ride him with horsemen with flails to get a great shock troop for the price.

:confused:

Either I have been missing something very important, or you have been reading a different armybook than me ...