PDA

View Full Version : Which opponent forces you to change your play style the most?

Rubicon
03-06-2008, 13:23
I was thinking about this yesterday when playing against a Dwarf army. My usual magic/outmanoever combo of playing games changes a great deal when I face dwarves...but then against VC or TK i'm forced to reassess charges based on whether or not i'll pass fear tests.

The question is, which opposing race forces you to change your playstyle the most?

Eternus
03-06-2008, 13:35
My biggest re-think recently was for a battle against Ogres, using Vampire Counts, who I had never played against before.

My main concerns were being able to damage the hulking brutes with my generally poor strength units, and the fact that Fear would count for nothing. I lost the battle, but learned a lot, like the fact that Banshees are a great Ogre killer, as is the Frost Blade. A shame that my Grave guard Killing Blow was no use though! :skull:

Aurellis
03-06-2008, 14:15
I think the army that needs tailoring to fight most is Dwarfs, nearly all lists are balanced to fight all types of threats but generally against the Dwarfs you are the ones picking your charges and attempting to flank them, and avoiding missile fire.

No other army, with maybe the exception of Treeman WE armies, requires a change in your list in order to perform effectively

Condottiere
03-06-2008, 14:32
Any who massacres my forces.:cries:

mattieice
03-06-2008, 14:47
Dwarfs... definitely Dwarfs. Especially as wood elves. Also generally any army with multiple giant sized monsters. Bretonians are kind of tricky too actually.

Malorian
03-06-2008, 14:57
I'd say it's tombkings and vc. They just work so differently from other armies.

You basically have to think at least two turns ahead because of how they can double charge using magic and then of course at the same time you NEED to hunt down their characters.

Defender of Ulthuan
03-06-2008, 15:00
Games Workshop.

Bloodknight
03-06-2008, 15:08
High Elves. They basically do the same stuff as my DoW army, but better for less points.
I consider myself to be a reasonably good player, my win record is allright both with TK and DoW, but since the HE got their new book, I could not squeeze out a single win, because they outmagic, outshoot and outfight DoW all at the same time. I even lost to a 12 year old with a beardy list (you know the type. 4 mages, 2x archers, 4 RBT and the rest swordmasters for good measure) who exposed his magicians to shooting and did such a bad job at maneouvering that I got all the charges, because they shoot better, more, and kill my units which are more expensive per model than theirs before they can strike.

If there's anything I hate, then it is playing against an army book, not a player :(

Rubicon
03-06-2008, 21:06
Well Bloodknight's point was reinforced to me today. I had a charge set upo against a Helf spearblock, but as I had worked out, it wasn't to my advantage to charge them. Infact, getting charged was a far better result for me as i'd likely face 2 ranks instead of three, and it would put me in a position to get a flank charge off.

High Elves represent a completely different way of playing simply because of the SoA rule, but I'm not entirely convinced that makes them the most 'different' of all lists.

Aflo
03-06-2008, 21:12
Last edition Vampire Counts always gave me a headache when I played with my Hordes/Beasts coalition.