PDA

View Full Version : The Screaming Banner

Sloppyjayman
03-06-2008, 14:58
I wanted some opinions on the use of the Screaming Banner on a unit of Grave Guard with GW....

The Screaming Banner: Any unit taking a fear test as a result of the unit carrying the banner roll an extra D6 on their Leadership and disregard the lowest dice.

Use: on a unit of 20 Grave Guard with Great Weapons.

I plan on using my Grave Guard as cavalry killers. I will try and keep them on a flank (where most cavalry are) and away from my opponents general (so they cant use his Leadership). The result should be a 60% failed charges against my Grave Guard and 60% that my opponent will be rolling 6s to hit me when i charge.

Is there a better banner i should use for Gave Guard with Great Weapons and why dont you like the Screaming Banner?

Thanks

Malorian
03-06-2008, 15:07
That idea could work wonders. The only thing that might bug you is when you are charging a unit you out number so that when they fail they flee and you fail the charge. (Only to have them rally later)

Personally I like the idea of that banner on a cav unit a lot better, so there is a good chance you will catch them or atleast redirect into a unit behind.

Sloppyjayman
03-06-2008, 15:14
Thats a great point. I guess if that situation arises (and I outnumber the unit I am about to charge) I should raise a unit of zombies right behind the unit. Auto Death...

Anyone else....

Rikkjourd
03-06-2008, 16:34
The only thing that might bug you is when you are charging a unit you out number so that when they fail they flee and you fail the charge. (Only to have them rally later)

Well a fleeing unit is still a big problem for your opponent even if he manages to rally them. They could panic other units. They could be part of his battle plan and therefore it could have effect on the overall battle that one of his cav units is in the wrong place. If you have other units nearby you could possibly set them up like if you don't catch him, he will still end up in a position where he will get sandwitched or flanked after rallying.

/end rant.

Dvil
03-06-2008, 16:45
Thats a great point. I guess if that situation arises (and I outnumber the unit I am about to charge) I should raise a unit of zombies right behind the unit. Auto Death...

But you can only raise in the magic phase, after they've made their flee move, which means that in order for them to run into it, they need to fail their rally test next turn which might not happen.
Of course, if you had nothing better to spend PD on, you could always raise 2 units and VanHels one into the enemy, making them flee again into the other unit, but once your opponent realises what you're doing it could be tricky to get off.

him_15
03-06-2008, 22:25
Well, your enemy will just avoid that unit and shoot them to hell.

theunwantedbeing
03-06-2008, 22:26
It's fairly worthless vs lizardmen.

Tarian
03-06-2008, 23:58
And if said unit happens to be immune to psych/fear, they could mess up your plans pretty well too.