PDA

View Full Version : Counter-Attack in 5th Ed

soundrich
03-06-2008, 18:18
Given the fact that all units now counter-attack when they are charged, what has become of the actual Counter-Attack USR

Is it redundant?

neophryte
03-06-2008, 18:23
if you make a leadership test you get +1 attack like you actually charged

kokujin_atsuhara
03-06-2008, 18:36
Only +1A or all the benefits from charge?
Like furious assault?

neophryte
03-06-2008, 18:49
I don't remember for sure so I don't want to mislead - but I feel that it was like they count as charging and the +1 attack was an example of what they get - but again, don't quote me on it. I will double check it when I go to my LGS this afternoon or tomorrow.

Are there any furious assault counterattackers?

Rosicrucian
03-06-2008, 18:59
Only +1A or all the benefits from charge?
Like furious assault?

I was going to say just the bonus attack, but now I'm not certain. The wording is that "all models get the +1 assault bonus to their attacks, exactly as if they too had assaulted that turn."

Redrivertears
03-06-2008, 19:06
Odd rule. So what's the advantage of charging then? I might as well just let myself get charged rather then charge first. Both sides get the same bonus anyways?

-Redrivertears-

szlachcic
03-06-2008, 19:10
Odd rule. So what's the advantage of charging then? I might as well just let myself get charged rather then charge first. Both sides get the same bonus anyways?

-Redrivertears-

You only get the bonus attacks with the Counter attack USR, which only a few units have. Otherwise they won't get the extra attack.

Redrivertears
03-06-2008, 19:12
Ah, alright. That makes more sense :)

-Redrivertears-

lethlis
03-06-2008, 21:03
and they have to pass a leadership test.

Lord Raneus
03-06-2008, 22:42
That does not make sense. You don't have to take a leadership test to charge, why should you to counter-charge?

IMO, it should always be in play, not only if you pass a Ld test. Marines will still fail it 1/3 of the time.

The_Outsider
03-06-2008, 22:43
That does not make sense. You don't have to take a leadership test to charge, why should you to counter-charge?

Perhaps because throwing yourself headfirst at someone who is doing the same (and is doing so first, hence why you are getting assaulted) requires nerves of steel (even by 40k standards)?

Lord Raneus
03-06-2008, 22:46
And charging out of cover headfirst at a line of enemies blasting away at you, with nothing but a thin piece of metal between you and the enemy, doesn't? ;)

neophryte
03-06-2008, 22:51

IMO, it should always be in play, not only if you pass a Ld test. Marines will still fail it 1/3 of the time.

Because if it always happened it would make people afraid to charge units with it. There should be some chance of it failing.