PDA

View Full Version : Enemy run down/panic test.

paulb11
03-06-2008, 21:18
Fleeing unit A is charged by unit B. It has to flee as a reaction and rolls, but not enough to escape. It is over unit strength 5, so where do you measure for units nearby to take their panic tests. Is it within 6" of unit A's original location, or 6" of their final location.

Malorian
03-06-2008, 21:20
Does this even cause a panic test?

At first I was going to write that it was from the original location, but now I'm not sure this is one of the criteria of when you have to take a test...

Jonke
03-06-2008, 22:05
It's measured from the units position after it has made its flee move because that is where it is destroyed.

death__lord
03-06-2008, 22:06
Yes it is one of the criteria for taking a panic test.

Malorian
03-06-2008, 22:26
Is it?

-There's a unit running though you
-A unit breaking from combat within 6
-A unit that takes 25% loses in the shooting/magic phase within 6
-A unit destroyed in the shooting/magic phase within 6

I'll have to check my rule book but I don't think a unit destroyed in the movement phase is covered.

theunwantedbeing
03-06-2008, 22:29
Oh it's there alright.

Condottiere
03-06-2008, 22:30
IIRC it's any unit US5+ that is destroyed, at anytime, will cause a panic test 6" radius.

Loopstah
03-06-2008, 22:32
I'll have to check my rule book but I don't think a unit destroyed in the movement phase is covered.

Yep, you test for Panic in every phase (except the 25% panic which doesn't happen in the combat phase).

It even gives "reached by charger while fleeing" as an example of a unit being destroyed causing panic for units within 6"

Malorian
03-06-2008, 22:36
Well then, just goes to show to trust your instincts. When you get that 'wait a second' feeling just ignore it...

paulb11
04-06-2008, 07:48
It's measured from the units position after it has made its flee move because that is where it is destroyed.

Thanks, but i am still not sure, what if the unit running them down comes into contact with another enemy unit before it can reach the final position of the fleeing unit ( ie enemy in the way). Sure the fleeing unit is destroyed, but I don't see how they can be destroyed in their final location if the chargers never get to that point. I could however see that the unit is run down where it started as the chargers would run over this point.

example

A --> B C
AC --->B

A charges B, B flees A then charges C (enemy in the way), but would also have enough movement to catch B in its final position.

The rulebooks says ' if the chargers have sufficient movement to catch them, the fleeing unit is destroyed and immediately removed from the battle. The bit I am still confused about is where they are immediately removed from.

Benigno (WE)
04-06-2008, 08:03
You have to check if the movement is enough to catch them BEFORE moving any unit. So it will work as follows:
- A declare charge to B
- B rolls dice to flee
IF B takes enough movement to flee from the charge THEN
Flees without a scar
ELSE
It is destroyed in the initial position
ENDIF

- Finally you move the charging unit with all the troubleshooting of enemy in the way, change targets and such...

T10
04-06-2008, 08:13
This is how you do it:

1. Move the fleeing unit. Notice that this may cause the unit to "leap-frog" past other units, or even be destroyed as it moves into contact with a large enemy unit or impassable terrain. It may cause panic along the way as well. Once all that has been resolved you have completed moving the fleeing troops.

2. Move chargers. Notice that things may have changed radically since you declared your charge, but you still need to try to reach the fleeing unit. If you can still reach the target within the constraints of the charge move (only a single pivot/wheel, please) then you move to or through the target and destroy it. This causes panic on all units within 6" of the destroyed unit, so it is best to measure before removing.

-T10

paulb11
04-06-2008, 08:31
So if the Chargers hit another unit, using the enemy in the way rules then the fleeing unit escapes? As they will not reach the final position of the fleeing unit due to them being in combat?

Wow we have been playiong this rule wrong for ages, we always assumed as long as the chargers had enough movement to catch the fleeing unit they were destroyed regardless of interposing troops (much like fleeing from combat).

This makes much more sense, as the interposing units would logically step in and protect their fleeing comrades.

Jonke
04-06-2008, 08:52
T10 has got it right.

So if the Chargers hit another unit, using the enemy in the way rules then the fleeing unit escapes? As they will not reach the final position of the fleeing unit due to them being in combat?

Which means this is correct.