PDA

View Full Version : The Joys of Attack Allocation

Shamfrit
03-06-2008, 22:57
You've all fallen prone to it....

Your mage is in the front rank, your opponent allocates 2-3 attacks at him, flat out dead.

Your Big Boss allocates his attacks at the Vampire in the unit, dead.

Greatest, funniest, harshest and sorted moments everyone?

Mine has to be 6 Flesh Hounds charging my clanrat unit, who subsequently allocate 4 attacks at my Battle Standard and 2 at my Greyseer, killing them all on the second turn....

2 S5 each...ouch...

Lunzo
03-06-2008, 23:05
Can't you hide skaven characters in the back rank so this doesn't happen to them?

Related to this topic I once declared a charge with 5 dark riders against a unit of empire knights with a wizard in it. The knights fled because my opponent knew that 3 DRs and their horses would allocate all their attacks at the wizard.

Scallat
03-06-2008, 23:20
This is basically my entire plan for defeating vampires when I face them. Into a unit and allocate as many attacks as possible on their general. DIE! DIE AND CRUMBLE YOU SCUM!

nurgle_boy
03-06-2008, 23:56
Aha, roll out the legend of the greatly, and rightly feared Mr Tibbles, the fantastic beast of nurgle.

Several times I played against undead using my BoC, and mr Tibbles always did the most.
One game, there was a necromancer lord on the field. Mr Tibbles got a 10" charge (I was planning to block the unit for a turn and charge a real unit in), slammed 6 attacks into the necrophiliac bastard, and swallowed him whole... the undead army then crumbled in a few turns..

Another time he found himself locked in combat with a vampire count, and managed to hold the unit he was with up for about 3 turns, taking the odd wound off of the guy, before he was finished by someone else.

Another one, was my awsome victory during a one sided game.. I had 2000pts of the new vampires (my first game using them) against a little over 6k of hordes of chaos, marked with khorne and tzeentch, with a whopping 16 dispel dice on turn one...

on turn 2 I had lured a unit of 12 chosen knights including archaon into my unit of 21 skeletons, concealing two wight lords, and a vampire. The sword of kings guy challenges, and he accepts with his knight champion (who, soda law dictated, I failed to kill), and then the gem of blood guy, who wasnt even hit during the combat, just sort of falls on archon, killing him dead. the vampire is suitable impressed, after he used the cursed book to get at archaon and the knights, and fluffs his attacks, but the skeletons follow suit and kill some knights, and I win combat... the unit flees and is cut down...

The game goes on, and because of that combat being one, I scrape a massacre result after dominating the magic phase after a few turns of wizard hunting, and losing no victory points... all units above half strength at the endgame...

Ipeninrod
04-06-2008, 00:37
Stegadon on my Orc WArboss 6th edition. Pancake!

Next Weekend. The Old Louisville special. The Orc weapon that used to knock characters out of units:). I miss it.
Anywho. I smoke a Elven prince out of a unit of spearelves. He goes backwards! Spear Elves Break. Pursuit into the prince. Classic. Don't tell me it's illegal. It was funny.

Best All time I wittnessed During the Summer of Chaos. A Daemon Slayer Engages a unit of 20+ Clanrats guarding a Greyseer who is leading from the back. The Slayer eats the unit in 4 cc phases or 2 turns. Then Chop Chop Chop to the Grey Seer. The Skaven Player didn't shoot into CC on his First shooting phase. Didn't do enough damage on the second Skaven shooting Phase.

Finnigan2004
04-06-2008, 01:44
For me the best was when I allocated as many attacks as possible by my bloodletters onto a vampire count's character in the front rank. He advised me that it would be better tactically to allocate on his ghouls (many of which had been recently raised by his bajillion power dice) to win combat by CR. I thanked him for the advice and said that I thought that I would stick with my plan. He did not look impressed (especially when his vampire caster fell under their blades).

The Brusier
04-06-2008, 07:57
Mine has to be my slave giant last ditch charging a unit of chosen nurgle warriors with an exulted sorcerer with 100 pts of magic items and lvl 4 (about 400-500 pts). He then went on to pick up and eat the sorcerer, defeat the unit and run it down.

Rubicon
04-06-2008, 10:17
DEexecutioners charging any unit with a character in it....

Par example:

20 Executioners with a noble in the front rank charge a unit of plaguebearer nominate half attacks on the herald, half on the tallyman who is hiding in his bunker...BANG!...dead herald, dead tallyman...I win combat by 5! WHOOP!

(Yeah, I'm still a little bit excited by that one!)

logan054
04-06-2008, 10:34
I remember a bone giant doing that against my exalted champion with armour of damnation when charged in the flank of my marauder unit :)

Eternus
04-06-2008, 10:39
You see! This is why I stick my Necromancers behind my units rather than in them! In many ways, allocating attacks is more effective than Challenging, if you can be sure of destroying your oppeonent, and preventing a character's worth of attacks coming back at your unit.

I love to allocate attacks from my Wight King Battle Standard Bearer against enemy heroes and Lords - 3 attacks with Killing Blow anyone!

Conotor
04-06-2008, 11:39
2 Kroxigor can kill vampires very fast.

Feefait
04-06-2008, 13:06
Can't you hide skaven characters in the back rank so this doesn't happen to them?

Related to this topic I once declared a charge with 5 dark riders against a unit of empire knights with a wizard in it. The knights fled because my opponent knew that 3 DRs and their horses would allocate all their attacks at the wizard.

Skaven characters can lead form the back, but they can't fight or accept challenges. And forget line of site for casting...

I am confused on your situation, if you could help me. :) Did you have a character? If so then that would only be him attacking the mage, assuming that's who accepted the challenge. Survivable by the mage. i agree 3 Darkriders attacking would be a tough spot. But how could he run? Unless oyu mean losing combat... but you can't decide to flee after the charge has been accepted and challenges issued. lol trying to figure this one out!

StormCrow
04-06-2008, 13:11
Attack allocation takes on a whole new meaning once my friends grave guard get into combat. Curse those wight blades!

EvC
04-06-2008, 13:26
It's when it's combined with previous casualty allocation that it gets really annoying. For example if you've been charged by an enemy cavalry and you have a Mage in the corner. The Mage survives the first round, then you countercharge the flank near where your Mage is. Your glorious countercharge kills one enemy, and your opponent removes the casualty from the other end... thus leaving him with a model still able to allocate attacks to your Mage... and kills him. Boo!

Lijacote
04-06-2008, 13:46
Glorious mage-slaying

Isn't that against the rules? Sounds so lame. Boo!

nurgle_boy
04-06-2008, 14:21
Isn't that against the rules? Sounds so lame. Boo!

you sound just like a vampire counts playing acquaintance of mine...

'I dont think attack allocation should be in the rules because it lets people kill my general. they should have to challenge him!'

Answer- Dont put your general in a compromising position, silly boy! especially when he isnt built solely to not die...

this is also why lvl1 flying vampires (that cause terror) can be fun... ghoulmove him forward before the game, then jump out and spam a wizard on turn one... yes, he will probebly die, and so will you, but then you might get your points back if they are a lord...

watch out for the speculum though... that can be messy...

Lijacote
04-06-2008, 14:34
you sound just like a vampire counts playing acquaintance of mine...

'I dont think attack allocation should be in the rules because it lets people kill my general. they should have to challenge him!'

Answer- Dont put your general in a compromising position, silly boy! especially when he isnt built solely to not die...

this is also why lvl1 flying vampires (that cause terror) can be fun... ghoulmove him forward before the game, then jump out and spam a wizard on turn one... yes, he will probebly die, and so will you, but then you might get your points back if they are a lord...

... If the models in base contact with the character die, I don't think it's cool that they're allowed to hit him/her/it. Don't assume.

Malorian
04-06-2008, 14:37
Heros lead by example and should be taking on all they can.

I know for my part when I have my vampires with no armor what so ever (Lahmian) in a unit of ghouls my opponents always go after the ghouls... even though the vampire has exactly the same chance to be wounded.

In one game I used this to my advantage. I had a stegadon that had charged the flank of my temple guard (good ol' LM vs LM goodness). After I survived the initial assault, on my turn I moved my slann up and over to be in base to base with the stegadon. Obviously the slann was MUCH harder to hurt but my opponent couldn't help but put all his attacks against the slann. The stagedon did 1 wound and ran away ; )

On the flip side, I used to laugh when people allocated attacks against the butcher in my ogre units since he's tougher to hurt unlike other mages. Then one game they actually managed to kill him! (Wasn't laughing then...)

Havock
04-06-2008, 14:45
Exalted Champion. Rending sword.

'nuff said :p

Whitehorn
04-06-2008, 15:03
Completely annihilated a OK army, but on turn 5 his boss allocated hits on my general and nuked him. Didn't lose but was a bit embarrassing on reflection.

nurgle_boy
04-06-2008, 15:43
... If the models in base contact with the character die, I don't think it's cool that they're allowed to hit him/her/it. Don't assume.

Sorry, I dont quite understand you...

I never assumed a thing here... if you dont think its cool to let your character die, dont line them up to be in a position to do so.. seems easy enough rule to get around from my perspective.:eyebrows:

EndlessBug
04-06-2008, 16:26
The Mage survives the first round, then you countercharge the flank near where your Mage is. Your glorious countercharge kills one enemy, and your opponent removes the casualty from the other end... thus leaving him with a model still able to allocate attacks to your Mage... and kills him. Boo!

nurgle-boy he wasn't refering to the whole attack allocation idea, this is what (I believe) he was refering to. Basically that the opponent really cheated here by taking the casualty from the wrong end and having the dead guy strike instead of the alive guy at the other end of the combat.

Lijacote was pointing out that in this case the mage WAS positioned so that he wasn't in as much danger, but the opponent got around it by cheating.

Loopstah
04-06-2008, 16:35
nurgle-boy he wasn't refering to the whole attack allocation idea, this is what (I believe) he was refering to. Basically that the opponent really cheated here by taking the casualty from the wrong end and having the dead guy strike instead of the alive guy at the other end of the combat.

Lijacote was pointing out that in this case the mage WAS positioned so that he wasn't in as much danger, but the opponent got around it by cheating.

I'd say it was unsporting but it isn't against the rules.

Shamfrit
04-06-2008, 17:52
This leads rather nicely into:

Should attack allocation be in the current rules? Is it fair? Just?

Of course, add 'How to deal with it' into the mix -

Malorian
04-06-2008, 18:18
Of course it's fair. If you're in the front you should be able to be attacked.

Mages should stay out of front line units anyway, and if they are there they should be on one of the edges to reduce the number of models in base to base. If caught in the middle then either hope they declare a challenge (so you can run away) or declare one yourself (if there isn't a hero) as there is a better chance the enemy champ won't kill you then if all the models in base to base get to attack you.

If you're a combat character then suck it up as that's what you are suppose to be good at...

EvC
04-06-2008, 18:24
I'd say it was unsporting but it isn't against the rules.

Precisely. I wouldn't have done it like that myself in the enemy's shoes, but if someone is playing to win, it is perfectly legal. Very gameym, however.

nurgle_boy
04-06-2008, 18:55
I say go for it. its as much of a rule as charge bonuses, miscasts, or killing blow. I think using any cavalry is unsporting because they often have spears or lances which grant charge bonuses. there is clearly no way to overcome this, and thus it is unsporting...

Answer: One can get the charge upon the cavalry unit, thus negating their charge bonus, just as one can not leave their characters in compromising positions, IE, centre of a unit.

I think your killing blow is unfair against my characters, and there is no way to get around it! waaaaah!

Answer: keep the bloody hell away from the unit in question, and use something against it which isnt as bothered by killing blow, say, anything bigger than a human, or a cheap spammy unit. plan to deal with them later, or snipe off any concealed characters to get VP's with, you guessed it! attack allocation!

I think using cannons against me is unsporting, especially when fired at my chariots
Answer: use some common sense and get rid of the cannons quickly. failing that, use your chariots in a sacrificial manner. remember, that could be your general smooshed, not a relatively cheap chariot...

As with all rules there are ways to overcome it, and to defend against it. this it what gives a game challenge, otherwise, you may as well complain about chess...

I left my queen diagonally in front of their pawn, and it got taken! using pawns in unsporting! boohoo!

thats my tuppence anyway!

mwah!
NB

Lunzo
05-06-2008, 00:05
I am confused on your situation, if you could help me. :) Did you have a character? If so then that would only be him attacking the mage, assuming that's who accepted the challenge. Survivable by the mage. i agree 3 Darkriders attacking would be a tough spot. But how could he run? Unless you mean losing combat... but you can't decide to flee after the charge has been accepted and challenges issued. lol trying to figure this one out!

What I should have said was this: I had a unit of 5 dark riders, no characters, my opponent had a unit of knights with a wizard in the middle of it. I declared a charge and the brave empire knights fled because 3 of the 5 dark riders would allocate their attacks to the wizard if combat was joined. My opponent chose flee as a charge reaction. I thought the whole concept of 1+ save heavy cavalry fleeing a light cav charge was humorous and it was entirely due to the threat of me allocating as many attacks as possible on his mage.

Kirth
05-06-2008, 00:12
What I should have said was this: I had a unit of 5 dark riders, no characters, my opponent had a unit of knights with a wizard in the middle of it. I declared a charge and the brave empire knights fled because 3 of the 5 dark riders would allocate their attacks to the wizard if combat was joined. My opponent chose flee as a charge reaction. I thought the whole concept of 1+ save heavy cavalry fleeing a light cav charge was humorous and it was entirely due to the threat of me allocating as many attacks as possible on his mage.

I think both you and your opponent were playing smart in this situation. You knew where the points were, and he knew it wasn't worth sacrificing his wizard to take the charge. I think attack allocation has a place in the game, otherwise situations like these would never arise. I think these sorts of tactical decisions belong in the game.

corvo
05-06-2008, 03:12
My favourite allocated attack moment was against a friends' themed Khorn army. The last of a Black Orc unit, lead by a Black Orc character, was being spanked by his general on a demonic steed and knights. I knew this was likely to be the last round of combat before I broke and ran, so I allocated my character's attacks to his character's steed. It died, and his most powerful combat character was now walking and effectively taken out of the game.

Alathir
05-06-2008, 04:00
My elven prince, bretonnian lord and fair share of nobles and paladins have met their end due to those damn wight blades! Curse them to the .. grave...

Attack allocation is perfectly sporting, if you charge an enemy unit and see this poncy looking mage right in front of you, looking all important, then it makes perfect sense that a few are going to jump at the chance to kill them.

Most of the time I always allocate attacks to the enemy champion just for laughs..

decker_cky
05-06-2008, 06:07

...why don't your opponents either flee or just position a champion to challenge your vamp?

vinny t
05-06-2008, 14:03
One of my success stories involved a Black orc warboss on boar and a Bone Giant charging him. Despite needing fives to hit and threes to wound, Ol' Crumbly did 11 wounds to him and provided me with much laughter. Another one involves a prince on star dragon with the 1+ rerollable save and a 4+ ward killing everything but my tomb guard champion. 2 attacks back, I roll two fives, followed by two sixes, he rolls two ones for his ward, dead prince. KILLING BLOW FTW!

P.S. Mr. Tibbles is the greatest name in the history of warhammer. I laughed for a solid five minutes when I saw that post:p

Bretonnian Lord
05-06-2008, 14:46
I like to get an assassin Paladin with Virtue of the Joust and Lance of Artois. Re-roll failed rolls to hit and wound on the charge with killing blow! And if it doesn't work, he only costs like 140 pts anyways. Perfectly worth it if he brings down a Saurus oldblood or High Elf prince.

EvC
05-06-2008, 15:15
...why don't your opponents either flee or just position a champion to challenge your vamp?

A roll of 9" or more will see a typical unit flee the table. There should always be a champion next to the wizard, but if your opponent isn't expecting you to charge him on turn one, there's a good chance he won't have placed them correctly! Very sneaky...

badgeraddict
05-06-2008, 16:02
Attack allocation is perfectly sporting, if you charge an enemy unit and see this poncy looking mage right in front of you, looking all important, then it makes perfect sense that a few are going to jump at the chance to kill them.

I totally agree with this statement, I'd certainly have a go and whacking the mage about the face! Then again I'd probably get filleted by the man standing next to the mage. Such is my luck!

In warhammer I have no problem with attack allocation. Often my Empire Wizards get attacks allocated to them, I do not worry for they fluff the attacks 8 times out of ten. No matter what tried to run them through, it usualy means that more rank & filers can have a swipe back. Which is always good in my eyes

nurgle_boy
05-06-2008, 21:34

Well, If they flee, they flee, bonus to me most of the time, and if the champion challenges, you just go with it, and cause some wounds. as you are the one picking the charge, you get to choose where you go...
of course, if you have a magic user ready to steal some soul from the champion nearby, that can be fun as well...

And Vinny T, He has a bit of a reputation for the name as well :p He omnomnomnoms things as a bonus...

Sambojin
07-06-2008, 07:44
Attack allocation is one of the reasons that very little cavalry should ever include a champion. If they're light/medium then the extra attack isn't worth the points, if they're heavy then one more attack won't make a difference. If you have no champion, then they can't challenge you, and you can kill what you like with any model.

For instance, Savage Orc Boar Boys become alot weaker and less tactical if their mage killing abilities are taken away by including a champion.

As an aside, here's my tale of allocation madness.
17 wolfriders(champ, standard), 3 big bosses with GW (the 2 extras used to kick **** at 2k points).

It gets really fun for a normal unit to decide what to attack and when. At worst they'd get pummeled with 9S6 attacks from the BBs with the champ dying, at best they'd challenge 2 BBs and champ and have a ranked unit and a hero still mowing down troops. Oh I loved O+G in 6th :)

I even tried out the 5 BB and 15 WR unit once. Chosen, grails, D princes, anything couldn't do this kind of damage. And if you needed to you could "MIRV" the BBs out of the unit and have a fast block waiting to charge next turn. It almost makes me wish they never updated the book...........