PDA

View Full Version : Ogres for Ostland

WallyTWest
04-06-2008, 03:00
I would like to add an Ogre unit to my Empire collection. The problem is although I donít require it to be a very competitive unit, I would like it to hold its own when asked and look good on the field.

The question is what would you sudjest? Most of the Ogre armies I have read focus on MSU's, but in my case I only have a single rare slot to alocate and would like to make the unit a modest close combat beast. Thoughts?

RavenBloodwind
04-06-2008, 03:35
With a single rare slot to use maneaters are out. This leaves you with bulls, ironguts and leadbelchers. Of the 3 I'd think the ironguts best suit your purpose.

Alternatively, you could go with the RoR Golgfag's Ogres since they seem to spend a lot of time in the empire anyway.

WallyTWest
04-06-2008, 03:47
How many models, banner or not, how are they best armed.

RavenBloodwind
04-06-2008, 03:52
Keep the points in control. A banner and musician make sense to improve CR and rally respectively. Champions are largely derided in OK lists as a waste of points and the same probably holds for DoW use.

I'd think 4 Ironguts with a banner and musician would be workable.

If you went with Golgfag's ogres I think the minimum is 4 including Golgfag, unit champion, banner and musician.

Equipment for Ironguts is pre-set with greatweapon and heavy armor. For bulls you could go with the ironfist for extra attacks although keeping them cheap works out well too.

Leogun_91
04-06-2008, 08:25
I would use 3-4 irongutts with warbanner but that is just my choice.

The Brusier
04-06-2008, 09:03
I would usually say the 3-4 Ironguts, but 6x bulls with full command and ironfists are deceptively effective. about 250 pts. Also looks very good if painted well, and there is plenty of opportunity to convert. There is also the bull head as a banner (that is the symbol of osland, right?).

ZeroTwentythree
04-06-2008, 14:01
I've used a small unit of 3 Ironguts and they've worked pretty well.

I'm still working on my empire army, so it's been mostly around 1500 point games. That's in an infantry heavy army, with a few support units (1 unit knights, 1 unit ironguts, artillery.)

Kadrium
04-06-2008, 14:17
3-4 Ironguts with a standard and optional warbanner is about as effective a unit as you can ask for from Ogre DoW. As stated above, their equipment is static.

If you choose to take Bulls, 6 is really too many. I see no real reason to go over 4 in any Ogre unit, and absolutely never more than 5. An ogre in the second rank is wasted points, and just asking to eat a cannon/bolt thrower shot. For bulls, XHW is the "best" choice for equipment. The 4 attacks is statistically better than the 3 armor piercing attacks, if your opponent has a 3+ or worse armor save. If they have 2+ or better, the 3 AP attacks are more effective. I would avoid ironfists unless you also take light armor, and only if you never use the IF for the extra attack. Light armor by itself is pretty useless, and most of the time you'll be wanting the extra attack from the IF instead of the shield bonus, so XHW is really the best choice for the points.