PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer obsessive compulsiveness (if that is the correct term)

Tonberry
04-06-2008, 09:57
Am I the only one who suffers from this? Example, I recently painted like 20 Cadians I got in a trade up for my Renegade guard, but, after they'd been sitting on my shelf for a while, I dumped them in a box because I decided they look terrible compared to my 15 FW Renegade models.

Example 2, as previously mentioned, I keep my models on shelves. However, the problem with this is that I'm constantly checking all my shelved models for the slightest imperfections, and if I decide a model that had previously deemed acceptable does not meet my standards it gets boxed :(

So, does anyone else suffer this vice? I suppose it has its benefits, in that (in my oppinion) all my 'excepted' models are to a pretty solid standard, but again there's the drawback of the time I waste on a model only for it to be boxed...

Jedi152
04-06-2008, 10:07
Guilty as charged!

Finally finished my first ever 2000 point VC army (after 15 years in the hobby), and then decided i hated most of it. Sold some bits off, but the rest are just lying around. Brought new and started over.

I've no doubt it'll happen when i finish this lot too. I have impossibly high standards when it comes to painting. *sigh*

hiveminion
04-06-2008, 10:16
When I finish a model I'm usually very happy with it, but when I look at it later I also see lots of stuff I could've done better. But then I plonk them on the table for a game and at arm's length I realise they look quite good after all.

I'm quite a perfectionist but when it comes to painting all that matters for me is that it looks good on the table. If there is a flaw on a model that I deem totally unacceptable I never box them, I just repaint them.

Spectral Dragon
04-06-2008, 10:47
I also have this problem, however when I am not satisfied with a model I simply paint over the part I am not satisfied with. This can happen either right after I am done with a model, or several months later when I decide it's not up to par with what I want.

My necron warriors and destroyers are a good example of this, I will be on my third variation for each now, though I will egotistically say this new variation is of a standard I don't see very often for necrons when I browse them on the internet. Still, I spend several days sometimes on a single model at times, especially when I am first starting a new variation. After the first, it goes by quicker and quicker for each model though it also might be I am just getting better as I go along.

I started the hobby in the summer of 2007, and currently I have a bit over 3000pts of necrons with only half of them painted. I keep getting better at playing and painting as I go, and I am hoping to get a digital camera soon so I can put pictures up on my project blog.

Plastic Rat
04-06-2008, 11:19
I traded out a bunch of Battle-for-my-crack marines. Was going to use them to fill out my squads. In the end I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Ended up giving them all to another younger player at the store who needed some extra marines.

Actually felt rather liberating. Now to buy another tactical squad to replace them...

Reaver83
04-06-2008, 11:26
I discovered the best way to avoid being critical of my models is to keep them in my carry cases, that way i don't get annoyed that they're imperfect or in the case of my raptors chipped beyond all belief!

Tonberry
04-06-2008, 11:31
Tell me about raptors! No matter how much varnish I give the blighters, every time someone as much as breathes heavily in the house, they all go flying, and have to have another coat of Red Gore.
...Right now I'm debating as to whether my Khorne Rhinos are up to scratch...

Free Spirit
04-06-2008, 11:37
Guilty, i been in the hobby for 1,5 years now but i quickly picked up on painting right. everything of my first army (wich isnt a whole lot) is stacked away never to be used again probably...

Armypainting is slow when you have loads of important stuff to do so i have a heap of unfinished models...

Mojaco
04-06-2008, 11:41
Nope, I don't have that. Sure, my painting gets better, but armies are usually finished in a relative short amount of time so it is all done in the same style. Then a new army comes along and is done a little better.

But anyways, whenever an old army just doesn't look right to me anymore, I just add some paint and improve on it. Only my thousand sons I redid completely, as I stumbled upon a cooler colour scheme.

Griffin
04-06-2008, 12:33
Guilty - I went as far about a week ago as dropping 20 guardians and Heavy weapons, genestealers, guants, Warriors, Warwalkers enc all into abox to hide my "shame".

Everything has to be perfect, or I'm unhappy. And by perfect I mean as good as I can do it.

LordFulgrim
04-06-2008, 12:42
Guilty, it was so bad I had to get all of my miniatures of the shelves and put them all in carrying cases. Every time I unpack my armies I still check every single model if they look okay. I'm just strong enough to resist re-painting them but it took me three years to get this far although I still need a mantra to stay calm.
I have a whole unit of Raptors ready to paint but hearing the stories in this thread I'm not sure if I will!

Earthbeard
04-06-2008, 13:01
Yep, guilty. I'm very critical of my own works constantly.

So much so it really impedes any kind of attempt at finishing a model. Flitter from one project from the next, thinking "hey this one is great" then coming back a few days later going "bah, not good enough"

I always get distracted by a lot of different projects too.

BrianC
04-06-2008, 14:43
I'm also very critical of my work, its very rare that I will ever post anything I've painted or modelled. I don't seem to mind doing this with my son's work but my stuff is (usually) out of bounds. I guess I mostly worried about people pointing and laughing, as unlikely as that scenario is to happen more from the fact that people are generally nicer than that than me having "l33t painting skillz"

I'm not so bothered about having bits out on shelves, its rare that they get looked at closely enough to spot problems but I hate photographing models as it shows up flaws that otherwise I'd have missed.

I also never varnish models as it makes it harder to touch them up or alter them or even strip them in more extreme cases.

Doomseer
04-06-2008, 15:04
Guilty also! I am a total perfectionist that has learnt to relax a bit over time! I always make sure I have a few units/characters that are painted to the best of my ability and speed paint the rest. If anyone questions the standard of the lesser models I can refer them to the better ones and blame time as the culprit! Extreme ridicule or self dissatisfaction results in them being replaced...eventually!

Spectral Dragon
04-06-2008, 15:17
I'm wondering why people consider this a bad thing?

It means your models get done as good as they can IMO, and so long as your willing to re-paint and not go too crazy with it it should be fine.

Earthbeard
04-06-2008, 18:32
I'm wondering why people consider this a bad thing?

It means your models get done as good as they can IMO, and so long as your willing to re-paint and not go too crazy with it it should be fine.

The mountains of "to do" stuff shows the bad aspect of it, as does the cost of buying so many things and critically impeding your own production lines.

I agree it's great to be "critical" and do the best you can...but sometimes it can be taken too far.

Plus I'm sure my missus would be happier with less of these plastic guys cluttering up the house!

Wyrdstone
04-06-2008, 21:12
I just have a load of unpainted in boxes :D
all the painted ones are a high standard (ahem) in a display cabinet
so I don't put them in boxes... yet anyway

naked_surfer
04-06-2008, 22:20
Yeah im very guilty! Im glad someone's posted about this and im not alone! Although like someone else has said, ive discovered that keeping models in a carry case stops me from constantly scrutinising and finding faults.

kermit
04-06-2008, 22:26
I am guilty of being unhappy with some of my early painting results...

But...

I think differently...

I keep them around and out in the open...

When I look at them (they are in a glass case in my dining room) I think "Wow, back in the 90's I painted like that... Hey look at the stuff I am doing today, it is a whole lot better."

I seem to like the comparisons of where I was to where I am now. Plus it was my first army so I don't think I will ever be able to part with it... Maybe I am the strange one here.

Dwarf Supreme
06-06-2008, 17:13
I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, but I've learned to use the "arm's length" rule. If it looks good at an arm's length, I don't bother fixing any minor imperfections. Also, except for my Titans and some of their weapons, so far I've resisted the urge to touch up things I originally painted 15 years ago.

dax
06-06-2008, 18:54
I used to have this problem and I suffered from Heavymetalitus for along time as well. I learnt to get over it by painting Warmaster units where it's the overall look from a distance that matters. I was always having trouble finishing armies as I wanted every mini to be a master piece now I have a set army standard that I'm very happy with and I have a showcase standard that I'll use for individual pieces when I feel like doing something different.

The Heavymetalitus took years to get over as well, I'd try to match to heavy metal paint job and get nowhere close so I found the best thing to do was to picked a totally different paint scheme that way I couldn't directly compare the mini's I'd painted with the heavy metal ones. It's probably also I helped that my painting improved to a point that I can now easily match the heavy metal paint jobs.