PDA

View Full Version : War of the assassins

Sgt Biffo
04-06-2008, 11:08
I came across the War of the Assassins as an era in the 40k role-play book.

I've never heard of it. Is it new to the genre?

LexxBomb
04-06-2008, 11:21
no its quite old as far as fluff goes. it is the reason that onbly the high lords of terra can declare an assassination mission. basicly the assassin temp[les openly fought for political power and used the full arsenal at their desposal ranging from everything from viral weapons to small scale nuclear deployment. assassisn even fought in the holy palace of terra.

DantesInferno
04-06-2008, 11:43
I came across the War of the Assassins as an era in the 40k role-play book.

I've never heard of it. Is it new to the genre?

I assume it's referring to the Wars of Vindication, which was effectively a civil war within the Offficio Assassinorum during the Age of Apostasy. According to Codex Assassins:

The Wars of Vindication took place shortly after the death of High Lord Goge Vandire, during the Age of Apostasy. It appears that Vandire had managed to corrupt many within the Officio Assassinorum, just as he had bribed and blackmailed his way to influence with in other organisations... Foremost amongst Vandire's agents was one Tziz Jarek, of the Callidus Temple. Using the shape altering compound polymorphine, Jarek had assassinated the true Grand Master and assumed his identity. However, unbeknownst to Jarek, the Grand Master had expected such a plot and had a loyal Callidus Assassin take his place in his chambers. So it was that Jarek had not killed the true Grand Master, who secretly mustered those Assassins still loyal to him to fight against this usurper. A heinous battle raged within the Imperial Palace itself, with many innocents dying as the Assassins brought their terrible skills to the war. The ancient arsenal of the Officio Assassinorum was opened and terrifying weapons used once more, weapons whose use had been banned by the Senatorum Imperialis since their discovery. Gene-sympathetic nerve gases polluted the corridors, while neutronic warheads destroyed whole wings of the Palace. In the end, the true Grand Master assassinated Jarek and then disappeared in self-imposed exile.

Of course, your source could be referring to something else entirely.

Sgt Biffo
04-06-2008, 12:02
The time line places it at that point. Perhaps there was a mix up between the companies.

It seems that it was borrowed from Dune (as a great many sources are).

DantesInferno
04-06-2008, 12:19
The time line places it at that point. Perhaps there was a mix up between the companies.

Perhaps.

In 40k terms though, it's perfectly possible that "War of the Assassins" and "Wars of Vindication" could just be two different ways of referring to the same conflict.

pookie
04-06-2008, 12:45
tziz Jarek - wasnt that the dreadnought assassin in the Inq wars?

LexxBomb
04-06-2008, 16:45
i belive so an Assassin Grandmaster who happened to be the temples surgeon aswell

Gdolkin
05-06-2008, 23:07
Spoiler:

Meh'Lindi's Grand Master in the Callidus Temple, the one who gave her the surgery to imitate a genestealer hybrid and later, as a dreadnought, removed her genestealer hybrid implants, was Tarik Ziz. Now he's Tziz Jarek eh? Cunning..

Kandarin
05-06-2008, 23:45
The Wars of Vindication took place shortly after the death of High Lord Goge Vandire, during the Age of Apostasy. It appears that Vandire had managed to corrupt many within the Officio Assassinorum, just as he had bribed and blackmailed his way to influence with in other organisations... Foremost amongst Vandire's agents was one Tziz Jarek, of the Callidus Temple. Using the shape altering compound polymorphine, Jarek had assassinated the true Grand Master and assumed his identity. However, unbeknownst to Jarek, the Grand Master had expected such a plot and had a loyal Callidus Assassin take his place in his chambers. So it was that Jarek had not killed the true Grand Master, who secretly mustered those Assassins still loyal to him to fight against this usurper. A heinous battle raged within the Imperial Palace itself, with many innocents dying as the Assassins brought their terrible skills to the war. The ancient arsenal of the Officio Assassinorum was opened and terrifying weapons used once more, weapons whose use had been banned by the Senatorum Imperialis since their discovery. Gene-sympathetic nerve gases polluted the corridors, while neutronic warheads destroyed whole wings of the Palace. In the end, the true Grand Master assassinated Jarek and then disappeared in self-imposed exile.

I always got the feeling that this was written from something less than a "God's eye" viewpoint, and that we were never meant to know for sure who was the real Grand Master and what happened to them.

azazel_fallenangel
06-06-2008, 13:57
Any idea what "Gene-sympathetic nerve gases" are?

MadDoc
06-06-2008, 14:03
Any idea what "Gene-sympathetic nerve gases" are?

Genetically targeted neuro toxins, keyed to the specific genetics of an individual (or individuals). Basically, personalised nerve gas, designed to affect only specific targets.

malika
06-06-2008, 14:11
And why are such weapons banned in the Imperium? :rolleyes:

DantesInferno
06-06-2008, 14:15
I always got the feeling that this was written from something less than a "God's eye" viewpoint, and that we were never meant to know for sure who was the real Grand Master and what happened to them.

To be precise, it is an extract from the memoirs of Inquisitor Jaeger. He (or possibly she) was the Inquisitor who investigated the conflict within the Assassins, recommended changes to the way the Senatorum Imperialis authorised Officio Assassinorum activity, and set up the Ordo Sicarius, an organisation of Inquisitors who arrange for their agents to be inserted into the Assassin Temples.

Faustburg
06-06-2008, 14:36
And why are such weapons banned in the Imperium? :rolleyes:

As is so often; Law of cool, makes it sound more brutal if they are "banned"...

But to speculate on a realistic background; my two cents would be that people in positions of power, like the High Lords of Terra and other leaders of various organizations are afraid of being assassinated themselves, by rivals after their seat. If such a weapon can be used safely, easily delivered and non-detectable, it would be dangerous to let it be out there...

azazel_fallenangel
06-06-2008, 15:10
Genetically targeted neuro toxins, keyed to the specific genetics of an individual (or individuals). Basically, personalised nerve gas, designed to affect only specific targets.

Thats what I thought, just seemed weird that they were "Polluting" the corridors when they only affected certain people.

heretics bane
06-06-2008, 15:46

They sound awesome, but how effectiive would they be if everybody has a different genetic code?or are they used on specific people?

Neknoh
06-06-2008, 16:15
My guess is, they key it to certain specifik traits, think of it, if you will, as if you find a group of people you don't like... such as Space Marines and then key it to specific genetical traits they have, causing the gas to directly attack and destroy those genes allong with genes attatched or related to those, and then genes attatched to those. Basically, immunity to normal gas will not work, maybe not even gas-masks, instead, gass jumps straight to your genetic sequence through a targeted gene and breaks it down completely.
I can fully understand SUCH gasses would be banned, imagine what'd happen if they were keyed to Space Marines? Or, as said, to the high-lords of terra.