PDA

View Full Version : Safety of Games Workshop Paints

yeancientone
04-06-2008, 13:15
Does anyone know the safety guidelines for use of GW paints? I have two children under four, one of who is painting his own miniatures - should I be worried about paint on their skin and in particular metallic / foundation paints? I've never had allergic reactions myself.

Not that I leave them unsupervised to have paint fights, you understand, but accidents do happen. :D

Bloodknight
04-06-2008, 13:21
I think they follow international regulations - mind that especially yellow colours usually contain lead (There was once an article during the Chinese toy lead craze in IIRC a Canadian newspaper about lead being found in GW paint, but they did not tell people that the lead content was still far under the allowed level), so don't let them drink the paint more than necessary ;).

Personally, the only thing I ever reacted allergically to is Green Stuff, I cannot work with it without getting a running nose, red hands, and rarely nosebleeds (so you see, I usually shun converting stuff and touching GS if possible). Yet I don't blame GW, it says on the package that it is an irritant, and most people have no problem with it. My immune system's fault ;)

Jedi152
04-06-2008, 13:30
Green stuff is more toxic, but most paints should be ok as long as they're not drinking them.

I doubt that'll happen though, especially with foundation paints. Apparently they taste vile - the first warning i got when i brought one was "don't lick your brush!".

Minister
04-06-2008, 13:37
Most acrylic paints, GW included, come under the category of "safe unless something silly is done". Spills and flecks on skin will not cause a problem unless the person involved has very sensitive skin (though I would still wash it off before it dries hard and needs scrubbing), problems from ingesting paint will only come to light if the stuff is actually drunk by the pot full rather than if a small quantity gets on an idly sucked thumb and so-on. Obviously, spray paint and superglue are more dangerous.

Do be aware, though, that the stuff is the very devil to get out of clothes or carpets, especially if it is allowed to dry in.

Ensis Ferrae
04-06-2008, 13:39
This makes me seriously wonder, how do people know this stuff??? but then again, i invariably come up with the same answer, and that is, Because someone's done it!!!

pookie
04-06-2008, 13:57
GW paints are amongst the safest you can get imo, only yellow has anything near dangerous in it, but this was more relevant to the Yellows that i used as a child ( ie 18 years ago).

Jim
04-06-2008, 14:26
IIRC the yellow paint has been changed so that it is now as safe as any other of the paints - ie you could drink pots of them and the worst that would happen is you would throw up....

As a long term brush licker I can confirm that Foundation paints taste absolutley horrible!

Jim

Tonberry
04-06-2008, 14:29
I'm an avid brush licker, and have on more than one occasion taken a swig from the dirty paint water glass rather than the mug of tea, and am yet to explode. So IMO they're pretty safe :)

blongbling
04-06-2008, 14:40
GW paints carry a CE safety mark which means they are ok.

Whitehorn
04-06-2008, 14:47
I'm a brush licker, paint swallower of 18 years.

I'm perfectly sane.

razormasticator
04-06-2008, 14:56
I'm an avid brush licker, and have on more than one occasion taken a swig from the dirty paint water glass rather than the mug of tea, and am yet to explode. So IMO they're pretty safe :)

Oh dude... say it isnt so.

Partisan Rimmo
04-06-2008, 15:24
God, when I think about the amount of the stuff I must have ingested over the years, I tremble. I've learnt the subtle difference in taste between a Skull White and Chaos Black.

Poly cement on the other hand, that tastes NASTY.

Jedi152
04-06-2008, 15:43

Oh dude... say it isnt so.

I've been painting for 15 years and i learned early not to put your mug of tea/cup of water next to your paint pot ... got that one **** about face a few times.

blongbling
04-06-2008, 16:13
I've been painting for 15 years and i learned early not to put your mug of tea/cup of water next to your paint pot ... got that one **** about face a few times.

over my twenty years i still havent learnt to do that one....

Killgore
04-06-2008, 16:39
veteran brush licker here of 12 years

nothings gone wrong with me *twitch*

Jedi152
04-06-2008, 16:42
over my twenty years i still havent learnt to do that one....
Mine go opposite ends of the table now. I made too many errors!

Count Zero
04-06-2008, 17:00
i've never drunk from the water pot, but have often tried to clean my brushes in a cup of coffee, often a freshly brewed cup to boot.

the other one is giving the pot a quick shake to loosen the paint up, but forgetting to actaully close it first! ohnoes ultramarine blue all over the desk!

Kelkyen
04-06-2008, 17:43
As mentioned above, I wouldn't worry too much about the paints. Just teach them to not lick the brush to get it back to a point. I'd worry more about superglue and hobby knives. I doubt you'll lets kids under 4 use them, but time flies and then they are 12 years old.

Get them in the habit of wearing eye protection when they use superglue. My glasses saved me 2 times from gluing my eye shut over the last 20+ years. Keep them away from the super glue accelerators (Zip-kicker) if you want grandkids.

When they get their first hobby knife, no matter what you do to teach them how to use it properly, they will cut themselves. Just accept that, and after they cut them self deep once they will respect the blade. Maybe keep a first aid kit near the work area.

Batwings
04-06-2008, 17:59
"I've been painting for 15 years and i learned early not to put your mug of tea/cup of water next to your paint pot ... got that one **** about face a few times."

Lost count of the number of times I've washed my brush out in a fresh mug of tea.

On one occasion I walked to the post box with a letter in one hand and a Mars bar in the other...

Yep, I posted the Mars bar.

Garanaul the Black
04-06-2008, 18:05
taken a swig from the dirty paint water glass rather than the mug of tea, and am yet to explode. So IMO they're pretty safe :)

I've done this myself, years ago at my (now no more :() local shop's painting night. Maybe it was the taste (more likely the extreme embarrassment) but I haven't done it since. Eating / drinking things that aren't food is a great deterrent. :D

The guys who taught me to paint also taught me brush licking (was there a way to write this without it sounding a little wrong?), how else are you supposed to get the tip pointy (again...kind of wrong)? One of them was an Outrider at the time, so I took his word for it. It's been...*counts on fingers*...more years than I have fingers, and I'm OK.

Casual contact is fine, don't do them as shots. Oh, and whatever you do, don't eat sprue (not a joke, seen it happen).

G

Griefbringer
04-06-2008, 18:16
I would think that the paints would be on their most dangerous (or at least uncomfortable) if you tried pouring them to your eyes or to your nose. Both would require a rather serious attempt, through.

Dark Eldar plastic warriors are also supposedly a slight health hazard, due to all the spiky bits on them.

EightBall
04-06-2008, 18:30
Oh, and whatever you do, don't eat sprue (not a joke, seen it happen).

Oh there is nothing better to occupy your mind than having a good chew on a piece of sprue or a pen-cap! I'm just not content to sit there painting/cleaning/assembling unless I've got my jaw moving.

To the topic at hand...no there really isn't anything to worry about health-wise with the paints. If you're concerned about an irritant/skin reaction, do the old lotion and ointment test and paint a little spot of it onto their inner-wrist. Leave it on for 30mins and if theres no reaction they're fine...albeit a little messy.
But I will say that these paints stain horribly. Especially with the young-ones accidents are bound to happen, so keep them away from the carpet or the nice kitchen table.

Emperor's Grace
04-06-2008, 19:51
On one occasion I walked to the post box with a letter in one hand and a Mars bar in the other...

I posted bus tickets this way once... on my way to get on the bus.

Plastic Rat
05-06-2008, 06:10
Dark Eldar plastic warriors are also supposedly a slight health hazard, due to all the spiky bits on them.

Battle for Skull Pass goblins make Dark Eldar look like rubber coated nerfbats. I have nightmares about tripping and falling face down into a box of them.

As a brush licker I normally find out the toxicity of paints I use. I don't trust the Foundation paints much, especially since they're made proudly in China.

I have no idea about the new washes, but I have to admit they have a rather pleasant robust fruitiness with a slightly nutty aftertaste.

theunwantedbeing
05-06-2008, 07:03
I dont know about everyone else but I find GW paints to be incredibly lethal. I have personally died 14 times in the past 5 year's.
Accidentally swallowing the pot and then suffocating to death........good job this is sarcasm or I'de be dead!

In all seriousness, that's about the only way I can think of that you could die from GW paints is to accidentally inhale the pot (how?).

I'm not a brush licker...never have been.

Plastic Rat
05-06-2008, 08:13
I'm not a brush licker...never have been.

You have NO idea what you're missing...

kroq'gar
05-06-2008, 08:22
Most are waterbased. The metalics not to sure about. My firend once drank (just DONT ASK WHY) some green ink, and he seemed ok (well, no worse than normal). Hes 6'2" though so a 4 yr old might not have the same resilliance (or stupidity).

Given the target age of space marines GW would surely have made making the paints safe a priority.

The glues are more of a danger, although the platic glue seemed to have shifted away from an acetone based quiet some time ago.

Jedi152
05-06-2008, 08:50
Battle for Skull Pass goblins make Dark Eldar look like rubber coated nerfbats. I have nightmares about tripping and falling face down into a box of them.
You can't have been around for 4th edition.

Those goblins had the sharpest spears. Seriously, i doubt they would be allowed to release them now because of health and safety laws. They honestly were like needles.

Lost count of the number of times I've washed my brush out in a fresh mug of tea.

I'm awful for stuff like that, as well as forgetting what's in my hands. I once had a mad fit looking for a toy gun when i was a kid. After about 3 minutes of mad searching i finally realised it was in my hand.

Chiron
05-06-2008, 08:50
I posted bus tickets this way once... on my way to get on the bus.

Your both in trouble, I believe thats a serious crime :p

I'm a horrific brush licker, though I try not to do it if the brush is loaded with Tin Bitz as it tastes utterly foul. My other half thinks its utterly insane and disgusting :angel:

kroq'gar
05-06-2008, 08:53

Those goblins had the sharpest spears. Seriously, i doubt they would be allowed to release them now because of health and safety laws. They honestly were like needles.

I still have a scar from those (fell on a regiment when i was nine). They were one piece and wouldnt break of (leaving the option of embedding in your hand).

Verm1s
05-06-2008, 09:52

I'm perfectly sane.

Isn't that, like, an oxymoron or something?

Griefbringer
05-06-2008, 10:03

Those goblins had the sharpest spears.

I am reminded of the 4th edition chaos dwarves - now those were bad with the big hats with a very sharp spike on top! After landing my hand on top of them a couple of times I quickly got rid of them (received them as part of a bigger deal).

I would say that they were worse than the gobbo spears, due to being mush stouter - at least with the gobboes you might have a chance that the spear tip might bend or the gobbo could break, but the big hats were like true caltrops!

Chiron
05-06-2008, 10:05
I am reminded of the 4th edition chaos dwarves - now those were bad with the big hats with a very sharp spike on top! After landing my hand on top of them a couple of times I quickly got rid of them (received them as part of a bigger deal).

I would say that they were worse than the gobbo spears, due to being mush stouter - at least with the gobboes you might have a chance that the spear tip might bend or the gobbo could break, but the big hats were like true caltrops!

Gretchin... those pointy helmets were lethally sharp, managed to get one in my wrist once

Royal Tiger
05-06-2008, 11:43
GW paints do contain a tiny amount of lead, and they are made in France, so who knows they might have anti-freeze in them too.....or is that just the wine?

also the most dangerous thing in 40k is a Chaos rhino with far to much of the spiky bit sprue glued to it

winkypinky
05-06-2008, 23:14
Well I have eaten GW paints for many years now. And I am still fine.
(Who dosnt use their lips to straighten out the brush tip?)

But I could imagine that gulping 5 pots in a row could cause stomach problems.

And I would vote winning the GT of blind-fold paint tasting as a greater hobby acheivement, than winning both the 40k and fantasy GT the same year.

Grimbad
05-06-2008, 23:22

Doesn't count unless you ate the letter.

BrianC
06-06-2008, 06:36
As has been said you are more at risk of spillage than anything else. I find that making them work on a lipped mat that is on a large plastic mat and using the positive reenforcement of a taser so that they keep the paint pot closer to furthest edge of the lipped mat works well. The important thing to do in the event of a spill is not to make any loud noises or sudden movements as this will startle the little dear, often resulting in a frantic chase of a paint dripping little darling around the house. Yes I'm speaking from experience and having to replace the carpet in four rooms, thankfully those days seem to be behind us now.

I can't stand the taste of paint I spit on my fingers and tease the brush into shape, I guess that ruins my brushes.

Edit: And get into the habit of making them use a pallette with only a little paint on it.

Griefbringer
06-06-2008, 07:56
they are made in France, so who knows they might have anti-freeze in them too...

Who would like to have their paints freeze in the winter? :cool:

yeancientone
06-06-2008, 09:29
<shudder> I knew this would bring out the brush lickers!;)

OP here - I just realised most of my paints are Vallejo (the ones equivalent to all the GW colours) - anyone know if they are similarly safe?

Baggers
06-06-2008, 17:56
Don't know about Vallejo, never used any of them. GW are pretty safe, apart from the fact they don't come out easily.

Oh and yep, another brush licker here. I had my first encounter with the new foundation paints, by george are they horrid. I do remember that Warlock Purple tasted quite nice.

yabbadabba
06-06-2008, 18:23
Been licking brushes since Michaelangelo's day ... ...

All GW paints are "safe" barring allegic reactions. If you want to know more all GW stores and, of course, GW HQ's will carry the COSHH sheets (or their equivalent in other countries) and that will give you the breakdown.

Necked a bottle of blood red for a laugh once - no harm done but I wouldn't recommend it.

Joe_Pineapples*sniper*
06-06-2008, 18:37

Praise the lords. I thought I was alone.

Fire Harte
06-06-2008, 19:08
Brush Licker Here.
I like the taste of foundation though, it grew on me.
But not with a tank brush or equivalent.

EightBall
06-06-2008, 19:16
I'm a fairly new brushlicker. I didn't when I started the hobby, but when I came back last year I noticed myself tipping the brush to a point with my mouth every time i rinsed it in my water pot. I found that doing so keeps the brush more moist than teasing it down with a cloth or paper towel. I try not to tip with a full load of paint, but it has happened.

Garanaul the Black
06-06-2008, 22:10
<shudder> I knew this would bring out the brush lickers!;)

Look around, we are LEGION. :evilgrin:

Brush Licker Here.

I'm a fairly new brushlicker.

I'm an avid brush licker

Been licking brushes since Michaelangelo's day

another brush licker here.

I'm a horrific brush licker

You have NO idea what you're missing...

:DG

khorne666
06-06-2008, 22:23
Well if there is anything too poisonous in them, more or less the entire Liverpool gaming comunity is going to find out very soon, about 10 of us were tasting the paints (in particular the new washes) a few weeks ago in a painting session at the local store after someone decided to ask how the new washes taste, which resulted in a lot of strange looks from a potential customer who just walked in (I think he ended up with the Macragge set, deliberately avoiding the paints option).

nightmare12369
06-06-2008, 23:28
What is this brush licking you are talking about?

Verm1s
06-06-2008, 23:39
Look around, we are LEGION. :evilgrin:

We found a nest! Get the napalm!

Er, on a slightly more serious note, I can usually get a decent point by wiping on kitchen roll and the back of my thumb. Regardless of toxicity I can't fathom putting paint in my mouth.

Nightmare: just as it sounds. Pointing a brush by drawing along the tongue and/or lips.

colmarekblack
07-06-2008, 08:34
In my 11 years in the hobby i've always been a paint licker. I do it with foundation paints but only when the brush is Throughly washed out before mind :p

As for dipping your paint brush into a drink, done it and drunk the drink afterwards. Not that bad tbh and no side effect just yet... :D

Griefbringer
07-06-2008, 10:02
I also do brush licking sometimes to get the point sharp.

BTW: the old Citadel orange ink has a very particular flavour - almost like orange (the fruit).

Deamon-forge
07-06-2008, 11:09
im a brush licker! been doing it for 4yrs

Verm1s
07-06-2008, 17:57
Yup. I can see the 'after' pic in your avatar. :D

Axel
07-06-2008, 18:54
GW paints carry a CE safety mark which means they are ok.

The CE mark only means that the producer declares that he adheres to all relevant EU regulations - which is rarely checked. So do not put much trust into that sign - the regulations are usually pretty stiff, but the control over the CE-usage is light at best.

Coasty
07-06-2008, 19:44
Bleached Bone is yummy. As are actual bleached bones.

mrtn
08-06-2008, 13:21
When I was a kid I cast my own lead soldiers, and painted them with enamels. My twitching has subsided.

Shadowphrakt
08-06-2008, 13:23
Another paint licker here. Its completely safe, nothings happened to me. Apart from this mysterious growth in the middle of my face....oh, wait. Thats my nose :D.

I've also done the taking a swig from water pot instead of tea. I did it when I had just used foundation paints to basecoat 50+ marines *shudders*.

Bookwrak
08-06-2008, 13:54
Why do people do this? I got some cheap cups that are like nothing I drink out of to guarantee that i never drink the paint water. It just seemed like the natural thing to do...

huinipachutli
09-06-2008, 20:34
Im a Brush licker too...

There is nothing better than lying down in my chair in front of the open fire and drink some Goblin Green Tea with some tasty drops of Vomit Brown...

I have a friend who paints his models by drinking as much paint as possible and then Vomit over his minis. I think that makes him a brushlicka too...

DigbyWeapon
10-06-2008, 08:52
Uhh well I was dared to take a drink from goblin green paint and I did of course, and as far as I can tell I'm in a fairly healthy state....?
I think.
But I can also tell you that the glue isn't, its gross as.

Digby