Musician
Standard Bearer
-Magic Standard: Flag of Blood Keep

Total= 580

Varghulf
Total=175

GRAND TOTAL= 1995
PLAN:

Alright so basically this is how it should go down...

General:
My Vampire Lord will be on his own, movement rate of 9, etheral (so normal attacks arnt doing anything to him), Has a 2+ armour save, hes got a further 4+ ward save, and I will be using the Lore Of Death. This means he will have the Soul Steal ability, so he can potentially gain an additional wound each turn. Making him a very formidable opponent by turns 3-4+.

Blood Knight Unit:
To start with, I know alot of people would never take a unit this point costly. However I couldnt resist trying to create a Blood Knight unit this insane! :D...
The Unit will be accompanied by the BSB and Hero Vampire. The BSB carries the Drakenhof banner, so the entire unit gains a 4+ regeneration save. The fact that the Vampire Hero has the Blood Drinker means that either he or the unit can regain wounds they have lost. Therefore if any blood knights fall, the enemy better not let the Vampire Hero score any wounds, or they will rise again. Finally the Blood Knights carry the Flag of Blood Keep, so they get a 50% chance to stop any kinds of ranged attacks on them.
All of this combined effectively means that if the enemy wants to shoot the unit, they will have to get passed their armour save of 2+, then a 4+ ward save, then a further 4+ regen save, and if they arnt killed outright before getting into combat, the unit will regain models on all wounds cause by the Vampire Hero. This is one powerful unit!

Next I will have the crypt ghoul units, I dont need them to be powerful as I will just use them to hit flanks, or tie up units until I get my Blood Knights there or my Vampire Lord + Vargulf. Furthermore, my vampire wizard will be able to bolster the ranks of the crypt ghoul units as I see fit. If I want one to be bigger to take on a harder unit, then Ill have it bolstered up by the vamp wizard using his summon ghouls ability.

The Varghulf will be able to move along the with the units of crypt ghouls to help win the combats or to even make units flee before ones start.

With this setup I should have 7 Power Dice and 6 Dispel Dice. I believe this will be enough to get some key spells out.

Loopstah
04-06-2008, 18:46
You can't give your lord Spectral Form and magic items.

Your Ghoul units are a bit on the small side.

You have a ton of points locked up in a frenzied unit. It's hard but a bit risky.

keldon33
04-06-2008, 19:07
Ah shoot, forgot about the etheral form rule.. I'll have to rework the Lord here...

And yeah I know the Blood Knights will be risky with the frenzy, but Im banking on them being powerful enough to deal with enemy units quickly and move on. I dont mind who they are going after as long as I can direct the first charge to some degree, and then jsut have them steam roll through the enemy line.

Malorian
04-06-2008, 19:30
Even if the lord was legal he's very odd... you're using him as an annoyance caster, but he is only lvl 2 and could only use 4 dice if he used the pool. Not effective if you ask me.

Then you have a summoner that only has 2 power dice.

So basically this army is one huge unit of knights with attatched vampires, then three small units of ghouls with 1 vampire trying to raise them and a 'you can't catch me' lord running around.

A VC army with 8 power dice and if you beat one unit you beat the army...

I would rethink this one.

keldon33
04-06-2008, 20:03
You bring up valid concerns Malorian.

First my new Lord choice:

Ive gotten rid of the ethreal ability and instead added Flying Horror, a power stone and sword of might. I also dropped the talisman of lycni.

Now I hope with the power stone I will be able to cast a spell I really need when I need it. In any case it should add that little bit more magic to my mix.

As for him being an annoyance caster, that was not my intention at all. He will simply be able to use the Steal Soul spell, which I plan to use with his own 2 power dice, saving the 2 in the pool for the Vampire caster. Ill be using the Vampire lord to fly into key targets in the enemies line. Since he will be able to hopefully accumulate a large number of wounds, he will be very effective in killing these targets and not have to worry about dieing himself. Hes not ment to just sit out of the battles and cast spells.

Blood Knights:
Now that was my exact intention. I want the enemy to view the Blood Knights as a massive threat, and to try throwing as much as they can at them. My hope is that the Blood Knights will weather the storm though, giving my ghouls a chance to grow in numbers and my Vampire Lord and Varghulf a chance to dismantle their support troops/weaker units.

fubukii
04-06-2008, 20:14
drop the sword of battle from the Bk champ, why would you want 1 extra attack over +2 str on the charge?

id drop blood drinker as well, and id give your bsb walking death for insane overkill purposes. id also wouldnt give your lord lore of death vanhels is too important especially with a list like this.
also im pretty sure if you go with etheral your not aloud to have magic items at all

Malorian
04-06-2008, 20:16
Be sure to put those bloodknights on the flank to at least cover 1 flank. Might be a good idea to add ghoulkin in there somewhere so they can keep up and support the knights.

keldon33
04-06-2008, 20:47
Yeah thats one of my major concerns still lingering, Ill have to think about the crypt ghoul movement and deployment setup more here.

I had a question about the Invocation of Nehek though. Maybe im just missing it in the rule book, but does every vampire get it for free, plus a randomly selected spell from the lore of vampires?

And say a vampire uses the Invocation of Nehek on the Blood Knight regiment. Will that count as recieving one wound healed and one Blood Knight returned to the unit? But what about the Blood Knights steed? Im unsure how this spell works for the Blood Knights...

Malorian
04-06-2008, 20:57
You bet. They all know it automatically.

The steed doesn't matter, it's all about the model. So each time you cast it you get 1 knight. (If only you could raise them above starting strength...)

dinobot
05-06-2008, 01:48
For starters, you only have 42 models in 2000 points. I'd recommend atleast doubling that number.

A little bit off topic, but I'd like to know where it says mounts get an additional attack from frenzy. The rulebook only says the model gets an additional attack, and since the mount and the rider are both part of the same model, I'm a little bit confused.

keldon33
05-06-2008, 03:35
43 I believe, but eh, they are tough son of a guns. And with the strong magic Vamps have, I should be able to atleast get some spells off to produce more along the way i would imagine?

Yeah I can understand how that wording can be tricky, but i think it would be fair to say that the rider only benefits from the frenzy attack?

I have a question regarding slain vampire characters though. Say my BSB is slain in combat. However also say that my other Vampire character scores a wound with his Blooddrinker. Can my BSB be resurrected with the wound replaced since he is part of the unit? Furthermore, if not, is there any spells from the vampire lore that would allow me to resurrect the dead BSB? POssibly Invocation of Nehek or Summon Undead Horde?

And finally, If the BSB is resurrected, will he still hold his magic standard?

Loopstah
05-06-2008, 10:00
A little bit off topic, but I'd like to know where it says mounts get an additional attack from frenzy. The rulebook only says the model gets an additional attack, and since the mount and the rider are both part of the same model, I'm a little bit confused.

Yeah I can understand how that wording can be tricky, but i think it would be fair to say that the rider only benefits from the frenzy attack?

Re-read the Frenzy entry then, because it specifically states at the bottom of the first paragraph that Frenzy affects both riders and mounts in a mounted unit.

Flitdog
05-06-2008, 17:15
I have a question regarding slain vampire characters though. Say my BSB is slain in combat. However also say that my other Vampire character scores a wound with his Blooddrinker. Can my BSB be resurrected with the wound replaced since he is part of the unit? Furthermore, if not, is there any spells from the vampire lore that would allow me to resurrect the dead BSB? POssibly Invocation of Nehek or Summon Undead Horde?

And finally, If the BSB is resurrected, will he still hold his magic standard?

My understanding of this Keldon, is that if you BSB is removed from the table he cannot be resurrected at all even if he is part of the unit. As Invocation of Nehek states that characters must be targeted separately in order to benefit from this spell. It's an awful lot of points in one unit, a very tough unit I agree. I'll post my own VC list up when I get to the magic 2 post figure for the community to comment on. It's a Infantry based army with zero cavalry.

dinobot
05-06-2008, 23:06
OP; At the very least I'd remove two of those blood knights and add in a few units of dire wolves. On average, only 7 of your knights will be able to attack on any given turn, so the other two are just eating up points.

Re-read the Frenzy entry then, because it specifically states at the bottom of the first paragraph that Frenzy affects both riders and mounts in a mounted unit.

Ah, thanks. I hate when they do a big long description and then randomly throw in a rule at the very end:P

06-06-2008, 10:46
You definitley need more guys, even if its just one unit of 20 zombies. when units start going in combat, guys will start dissappearing fast. you'll be spread pretty thin across the table too so if you're gonna use this list you really should think about setup so that there's no serious holes or weak spots where someone can just punch through with a sizeable core unit.

Another thought about the crown of the damned as well, sure a 4+ ward save is good but stupidity can stop him dead in his tracks leaving him vulerable, especially as he is on his own, a cannon can take him straight out with a well aimed shot.