PDA

View Full Version : 1k High Elves w/ Dragon - Ridiculous!

Granitearm
04-06-2008, 17:51
Here is a crazy 1k High Elf list I came up with. It's Caledor themed, hence the use of the Dragon Mage and Dragon Princes. Unfortunately, my theme doesn't leave me with much else in the way of points.

It's going up against 1k of Daemons tonight. I suspect Nurgle to make my poor S3 guys work for it, but I don't know for sure. My list is meant to be an all-comers list, his will probably be tailored.

Anyway, just looking for some thoughts!

Thanks!

Noble
Lance, Dragon Armor, Shield, Barded Steed
Radiant Gem of Hoeth

Dragon Mage
Level 2
Silver Wand

18 Spearmen
Champion, Standard

5 Dragon princes
Full Command
Amulet of Light

Great Eagle

1,000 Points

theunwantedbeing
04-06-2008, 18:01
Is the noble really nessecary?
The dragon mage is already nearly half your points.....making your character's take up over 50% of your army is rarely a good idea.

If you stick to just the dragon mage as the general (he can be the general right?)
Then you've got an extra 158points to spend...the amulet of light isnt nessecary either as magical attacks dont help vs daemons anymore.
If you ditch the great eagle you could get a second unit of dragon princes then...or just lose the command group.

A musician on your spearmen is going to be of more worth than a champion, +1 st3 attack is not as useful as geting +1 to rally or +1 combat res in the event of a draw.

isidril93
04-06-2008, 18:07
Is the noble really nessecary?
The dragon mage is already nearly half your points.....making your character's take up over 50% of your army is rarely a good idea.

If you stick to just the dragon mage as the general (he can be the general right?)
Then you've got an extra 158points to spend...the amulet of light isnt nessecary either as magical attacks dont help vs daemons anymore.
If you ditch the great eagle you could get a second unit of dragon princes then...or just lose the command group.

A musician on your spearmen is going to be of more worth than a champion, +1 st3 attack is not as useful as geting +1 to rally or +1 combat res in the event of a draw.

well that depends on what models he has available

if he has the models you want him to use then i say good, he should go with you

but if those are his ony models then it is a good list

Marwynn
04-06-2008, 18:12
It's a nice list, but the Spear-block is making me itchy. They're fodder for enemy shooting if any and they'll be left behind.

What exactly do you intend to do with the Dragon Mage? Usually most people let the Mage cast for two turns before charging straight in and wrecking things.

My own 1K Dragon Mage list takes that philosophy:

Dragon Mage: Level 2, Silver Wand
10 Lothern Sea Guard: Shields, Musician
5 Dragon Princes
5 Dragon Princes
2 Tiranoc Chariots

Replace a chariot with spear-carrying Reavers if you wish. I've found that an all out blitz approach works best with the DM.

Your list can work if you keep the DM and DPs in reserve near your Spear block. They're essentially really, really big hammers. However, this is dependent on your enemy not having artillery. A Great Cannon will ruin your day. Or a lot of shooting.

I would also drop the Champ for a Musician. However I think you're paying too much for the Dragon Princes at this points level. Drop the Champ there and you'd have the points for either the Banner of Arcane Warding or the Lion Banner; both of which are useful against Daemons.

Love the Noble with the Radiant Gem, but he's not going to be casting much here. Although you would get 4 DD total which should be nice. I'd be tempted to give him the Ring of Fury instead; draws out those dispel dice like no other, and you can use it after the Dragon Mage too so it can go in unmolested.

Granitearm
04-06-2008, 18:59
Well, I'm going to see how things worked out against the Daemon Army tonight, and probably tweak a little based on how that goes.

It's mostly a fluff-based army list, so i'm a little reluctant to let the prince go. I know I should, but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it.

For the Dragon Mage, since it's daemons with little to no shooting, I plan on flying him around and zapping the heck out of his units of troops. I'll probably crunch in when a unit is seriously weakend, or if I need the dragon to turn the tables.

The spearmen will avoid things for a little while using their high movement, and then hopefully take a charge and hold in order for the Dragon Princes to crunch in. I would have preferred full command but ran out of points.

The dragon princes hopefully will be a ble to hammer a unit pretty hard. I'll definitely try to flank with them if at all possible.

The great eagle will march block and misdirect.

I'm hoping for a fairly dominant magic phase. 8 PD in 1k against daemons should do pretty well. This whole list is a big departure for me, as I mostly play dwarfs

mossel
04-06-2008, 19:44
I'm not sure this list will work well. It lacks staying power, I fear. Especially against Daemons.

Plaguebearers you say, that means Heralds with Slime Trail. No Flank or Rear bonusses...
And Regeneration. You're pretty safe with lore of fire there, but combatwise...

I'd chose Swordmasters over Dragon Princes, but then again you have chosen a theme.

I also just remembered this item a friend of mine used on his Great Unclean One. He can chose a lore after deployment and every mage using that lore is at -2 to cast... Keep that in mind. I'd rather take a second mage on lore of light instead of the noble.

Granitearm
05-06-2008, 13:35
Well, things didn't go too badly last night. It was a solid loss, but I was pretty much expecting that.

He took a list specifically designed to make life difficult for my Elves.

Herald of Nurgle w/ Noxious Vapors

Epidemius

3X 15 Plaguebearers

Beast of Nurgle

For my first time playing the "I'm not touching you" game I did pretty well. Could have played it a little better. I needed to be a little more aggressive with my spear elves. They didn't get into combat until the last few turns of the game, but they were wearing down one of the units of plaguebearers.

The Dragon Mage and Dragon Princes hit Epidemius's unit, and eventually wore him down. The Princes of course had rubber lance on the charge and were stuck smacking plaguebearers with swords. Fortunately, the army was so small that Epidemius couldn't kill enough people to get much in the way of bonuses.

I liked how the army played in general, but I'd be in a lot of trouble against a horde. It's just so small. I know there are a lot of changes that could (and should) be made, but I'm loathe to let go of my theme.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice!