PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Caster/Knight combination.

Spirit
04-06-2008, 20:50
I recently got given the mounted manfred model, seeing as this model is so amazing (and i dislike using special characters) i want to try something different for him.

I usually go with a caster lord (forbidden lore, m.o.t.b.a) and maybe mount him just for kicks, but i want to try out the dread knight power on this model, mainly because i only have mounted necrarch models, so this makes a change.

However... I still play a very magic heavy army, so i am looking for help with weapon/power combinations for dread knight and dark acolyte/master of the black arts.

Anyone had any success with the two powers (not necessarily combined)?

Malorian
04-06-2008, 20:59
How about extra level dreadknight, infinite hatred, master of the black arts, book for only 390.

Good amount of magic but also good in combat.

Keep him back in a block unit (unless this is a big game and he's not your general), if the unit charges the lord can do a lot of damage and with a 2+ save is pretty safe.

Plus the mount allows you to run away quickly if needed.

Jiaolong
04-06-2008, 22:48
Yeah, what Malorian suggests sounds pretty solid to me. Definitely rig your general up with a nice unit of Knights and charge away.

Kalist
04-06-2008, 23:04
Vampire LORD - 445 points
+1 mage level
Helm of Commandment
Cadaverous Cuirass
Blood Drinker
Talisman of Protection
Dread Knight
Master of the Black Arts
Lord of the Dead

Feel free to switch out Lord of the Dead for summon ghouls or creatures of the night. This is one solid lord. 5 PD, 2 DD, 2+ armor save (1+ in hth), has a ward save, and he is immune to killing blow and poison - the former is definately something that kills a fair share of heros. Add to that his ability to heal himself when he damages enemies, his 4 attacks, and his ability to transfer his weapon skill to other units and you have yourself one monster hybrid. Expensive, but able to hold his own in combat and support other units that need help.

Spirit
04-06-2008, 23:26
I do like both of those suggestions, however seeing as i run a hellsteed with the helm, i would swap his wargear for the bloody hauberk i think, 1+ save ftw!

Blood drinker seems like a really good option also i think.

Malorian do you mean the book of arkhan or the cursed book?

Edit, also, if i was to have a necromnacer (i.e lots of vanhels) in the list, would it be good to have beguile instead of hatred? Seeing as i can probably cast it on him when i need it.

Malorian
05-06-2008, 03:01
Just remember you can't put a dreadknight on a hellsteed.

I meant the book of arkhan.

I'm not a fan of beguile, but if you are sure you are going to get it off then why not.

Spirit
05-06-2008, 11:02
Just remember you can't put a dreadknight on a hellsteed.

I meant the book of arkhan.

I'm not a fan of beguile, but if you are sure you are going to get it off then why not.

Ahaha, this one is good. One of the staff at my lgs made a barded hellsteed vamp for one of his master plans. He was really chuffed with the model, then 4 days later the errata came out. He was not happy.

The Clairvoyant
05-06-2008, 11:17
If you want to go half combat/half magic, i'd actually not bother with dreadknight and use those 25pts elsewhere.

Vampire Lord
L3
Dark Acolyte
motba
lord of dead/summon ghouls/summon CotN
dreadlance
Flayed Hauberk
Black Periapt
Nightmare

This way, you still get a 2+ save, you still get to be on a horse and you have 6PD and 4 autohits in combat.
Or drop motba for red fury for a L4 wizard with upto 8 autohit attacks.

Or L3, motba, walking death and infinite hatred with a normal nightmare, Balefire spike, flayed hauberk and skull staff for a 5PD +1 to cast/dispel combatty vamp who rerolls misses in combat and adds +1 CR

Spirit
05-06-2008, 12:57
The problem with that build is that i need the hauberk elsewhere, vampires heroes are hard enough to give a decent save, and i cant give avatar of death to them all for the 3+ because i need some lord of the dead.

And because he will be running with a foot unit, lances seem like a waste, because i can't guarantee the charge.

I also refuse to use red fury/dreadlance out of principle, i can win without such silly combos lol.

The Clairvoyant
05-06-2008, 15:40
fair point re dreadlance/red fury combo.

But then its against my principles to put a mounted character in a unit of foot-infantry :P

Knights should lead knights.