PDA

View Full Version : Are there daemons types of daemons out there?

malika
04-06-2008, 23:03
So with the release of Codex: Daemons we've been kind of left with a disappointment I think. No new daemons have really been added, we got some new special characters and that warmachine called a Soul Grinder. However I always assumed there would be more kinds of daemons and warp entities out there and hoped that the Codex Daemons would look into those as well...

So is there any background info on different kinds of daemons or just mention of other daemons?

Lord Malorne
04-06-2008, 23:14
You can always make your own and base them on given rules.

For example, in the future I plan to do a crab people army (inspired by south park but modeled differently) using bloodletter bodies and daemonette claw, I still have to think out the head though, and use a Giant crab (prob last ed carnifex with crab claws) as a soul grider or a daemon prince...the possibilites are as extensive as your imagination :D.

malika
04-06-2008, 23:17
I know I can make up my own daemons, that is no real problem. I can come up with tons of different creatures loyal to the Chaos Gods, Minor Powers or as fully independent/Undivided creatures. However that is not what I'm after in this thread, I'm trying to find official info on other kinds of daemons.

By the way, daemons from other GW games such as WHFB and Warmaster also fall under this category! :)

Khaine's Messenger
05-06-2008, 00:26
There's the data-daemons from Dark Adeptus and a variety of the unique creatures that Ibram Gaunt & co. run into, but no others come to mind that quickly. The Gaunt's Ghosts ones include some pack hunters from His Last Command and the resource-harvester from Traitor General. But I dunno if those are daemons or "daemonic," since there are natural critters that can "warp jump."

If you're just talking about warp gribblies, there's the Enslavers/Krell and those bugs that lay eggs in your brain, and psychic vampires. None of those would do well in a Chaos army, though.

malika
05-06-2008, 00:29
I don't really care about adding them in Chaos armies per se. :)

So what exactly are these Data-Daemons? Are they simply information in the Warp that has come "alive" or something?

What about those unique creatures you mentioned?

Khaine's Messenger
05-06-2008, 00:44
The data-daemons were...entities...that attacked Alaric & co. by phasing out of the crystalline data-stacks in a few of the AdMech temples that had been defiled. Presumably they were some sort of manifestation of the fact that the planet had been surfing around in the warp for a few years and had engaged in not a few nefarious deals under the guidance of its "Machine God," the Father of Titans. It's possible that the only reason they were described as having forms is due to the Grey Knights' psychic senses, as they were (iirc) said to exude a feeling that they actually were shadows of information. To a lesser extent than Gargatuloth, Greater Daemon of Tzeentch, no doubt. It's been a while, and my copy is, sadly, not to hand.

The one that lays eggs in your brain is described in greater detail than the older source I recall them coming from in Dark Heresy, but I don't have my DH book to hand either. The Enslavers you can find info about on GW's website (http://uk.games-workshop.com/warhammer40000/creature-feature/2/). Psychic vampires...are mostly a name drop, as far as I know.

The pack hunters from His Last Command were giant beasts of prey using warp gates to strike behind enemy lines in a giant ritual structure. The "miner" critters are these small beasties that can be thrown at a body of resources and simply consume them whole into the warp for lord only knows what purpose. Traitor General is actually interesting from the perspective of describing a world conquered by Chaos' footsoldiers...it had various "enforcers" scattered around, too. Things like the wirewolves, which as far as I know are just a cheap form of bound daemon. We weren't ever told what exactly was bound in them, though. That I remember.

DantesInferno
05-06-2008, 01:55
The Warp Beasts captured and used by the Dark Eldar probably rate a mention too.

Koryphaus
05-06-2008, 02:06
There's also the Harpy-esque daemons from Dark Apostle, that are hideous, decaying creatures in the mortal world, but in the Empyrean, they are beautiful women/eagle things. They bring down a marauder bomber squadron..

Xandros
05-06-2008, 03:06
Descent of Angels and Legion feature daemons of more-or-less reptilian nature although they share little similarity.

MvS
05-06-2008, 10:57
The Incanabulum in the Ravenor series is a seemingly unaligned daemon bound to a mettalic body that is nigh on indestructable. This daemon cannot be banished and cannot return to the Warp unless its shell is utterly destroyed (which Ravenor managed to). That said the Incanabulum lies dormant until certain sacrifices are made to awaken and empower it.

Once it is awoken its master just gives it the name or psychic spoor of its intended target and then nothing will stand in its way until it kills its man.

I suppose this entity might have a few things in common with daemons such as Cherubael and Prophaniti.

In the 4th edition rulebook there are referenced under the Perils of the Warp section about different Warp entities, although I can't remember their names right now. Also Warp-spawned vampires have been mentioned here and their, although these aren't physically described so they don't need to look like Anne Rice knock offs if you don't want.

EDIT

In Realms of Sorcery (WFRP I know) there were also daemonic Rot Worms of Nurgle and the a sort of unaligned creeping, chattering daemonic darkness that consumes people's sanity and perhaps their souls too.

Also, I know it isn't quite what you are asking, but a daemon Saruthi would be cool. This entire species gave itself over to Chaos and were completely degenerate because of it, with mismatched spindly legs like spiders. An alien-daemon would be a good image I think.

malika
05-06-2008, 12:34
The Warp Beasts captured and used by the Dark Eldar probably rate a mention too.
Are they actual creatures from the Warp or simply beasts which were exposed to the Warp?

There's also the Harpy-esque daemons from Dark Apostle, that are hideous, decaying creatures in the mortal world, but in the Empyrean, they are beautiful women/eagle things. They bring down a marauder bomber squadron..
Intriguing...I really like the idea that a creature could have two opposite looks, one for in the Warp and the other for in the real world.

Descent of Angels and Legion feature daemons of more-or-less reptilian nature although they share little similarity.
Any more info on them? Are they aligned to a Chaos God? What do they do?

Also, I know it isn't quite what you are asking, but a daemon Saruthi would be cool. This entire species gave itself over to Chaos and were completely degenerate because of it, with mismatched spindly legs like spiders. An alien-daemon would be a good image I think.
Where does this come from? I'm liking this a lot! Finally some more aliens who might be joining Chaos, I was sort of getting a bit tired of seeing only humans joining Chaos.

I know that Warmaster mentions two new types of daemons, namely the Overlord and Daemon Lord but those would probably be similar to Daemon Princes or simply Champion types of the existing daemons we've already got.

MvS
05-06-2008, 12:42
The SDaruthi come from the Eisenhorn series. They had a copy of the Necroteuch - a sort of psychic/sorcery badass book of daemnonology and Chaos nastiness, only it wasn't a book in thes ense that we mean but an alien thing.

They had immense sorcerous powers, but they were completely corrupt and pretty degenerate, relying on the complete subjugation and slave labour of anopther species to do everything for them. Their bodies weren't logiocal - even for aliens, as their legs were randomly mismatched in length, requiring that the attach little metal stilts to the ends of them to balance themselves out.

Their slave race rebelled after a big fight broke out with Eisenhorn, his Inqiuisitorial crew, Guard, cultists, Space Marines and Chaos Space Marines.

Anyway, they had been using and probably worshipping Chaos for years and I would imagine that they might have had some patron daemons or 'ascended' high-priests or whatnot.

On a side note, weren't there Chaos worshipping aliens in the Legion novel?

EDIT

Ah yes, someone already mentioned them. :)

DantesInferno
05-06-2008, 12:57
Are they actual creatures from the Warp or simply beasts which were exposed to the Warp?

Dark Eldar Codex (in its amazingly long-winded and exhaustive background description) says:

Spawned from the bloody nightmares of mortals, Warp Beasts are death and pain embodied. They are voracious predators who will attack anything they find. It is the task of the Beastmasters to catch these creatures; fight against them in the arena or guide them into battle and unleash them upon the unwitting foe! [my emphasis]

Hardly conclusive, but I would imagine that suggests that they're warp creatures of one sort or another.

MrBigMr
05-06-2008, 13:01
Interesting... I've been thinking about the very same things myself ever since the new daemon armies came out. All the fluff in the WHFB version sounds like reading a battle report instead of some interesting insight into the world of daemons. I was very disappointed about it. Oh, well, at least I got my Liber Chaotica.

By the way, what's the fluff for Furies in 40K (current and old)? Can't remember for the life of me. In WHFB they used to be manifestations of Chaos Undivided, but now they're souls of the damned. There were also daemonic mounts, non-god specific summoned monsters bound to the user's command. Just comes to show how GW pushes all the nifty Chaos fluff aside for a "fair and balanced" gameplay.

MvS
05-06-2008, 13:05
Re. Warp Beasts, their 'fluff' sounds pretty standard to me - death, pain, bloody nightmares. ;)

Why can't we see some daemons of Doubt or the Fear of Failure, or even Fear itself.

How about a daemon of That Really Bad Secret You're Keeping That You Don't Want Your Loved Ones To Find Out About...?

Or maybe a daemon of Shame, or Regret. Or maybe Heartbreak. Or a daemon of Frustration.

They may seem a bit lacking on paper, but I guarantee if you met the daemonic opersonification of any of the above it would be totally umanning experience.

;):D

malika
05-06-2008, 13:14
They had immense sorcerous powers, but they were completely corrupt and pretty degenerate, relying on the complete subjugation and slave labour of anopther species to do everything for them. Their bodies weren't logiocal - even for aliens, as their legs were randomly mismatched in length, requiring that the attach little metal stilts to the ends of them to balance themselves out.
Makes you wonder how that race survived before they had the technological capabilities to work with metal. :P

By the way, what's the fluff for Furies in 40K (current and old)? Can't remember for the life of me. In WHFB they used to be manifestations of Chaos Undivided, but now they're souls of the damned. There were also daemonic mounts, non-god specific summoned monsters bound to the user's command. Just comes to show how GW pushes all the nifty Chaos fluff aside for a "fair and balanced" gameplay.
In 40k they are those who could not decide to which Chaos God to align and for that reason they are damned to wander the Warp alone, with no God to find security or whatever. Kinda dull...

By the way, kind of very off topic...but if you are interested in a version of 40k with no gaming balance you should check out Warspike (http://www.warspike.com/index.shtml), there is even a little discussion section here (http://anargo-sector.net/community/index.php/board,14.0.html). :)

tinfoil
05-06-2008, 13:14
Very tantalizing suggestions, MvS.
Man, I wish you were still scribing for GW!

=Angel=
05-06-2008, 13:21
Remember that a daemons realspace physical appearance is related to its nature (greed, lust, hate... and also its power.

Greater daemons are bigger than man sized- and they are NOT the most powerful warp entities- Chaos Gods are.

There are concievably daemons that can be summoned that would be larger than thirsters and also ones smaller than nurglings.
The Obliterator virus is a good example.

So imagine Titan sized daemons of Slaanesh (wtfboobs) or tiny bloodletters the size of cats ( flesh puppies of Khorne? )- and thats just the established pantheon.

Can the mind conceive the manyfold minions of Googleth, god of curiosity?

MrBigMr
05-06-2008, 13:23
Isn't that Slaanesh, toying with (wo)men's ambitions, fears, desires and all that?
In WHFB Slaanesh is the Ld. (pun intended) god, its spells and gifts affecting the enemy Ld. in various ways. I like my Herald. You need to take an Ld. test at -2 to hit her and when ever she hits back, you have to take an Ld. test at -2 for each unsaved wound, and if you fail, you can't hit the next turn (works only against multi wound targets).

DantesInferno
05-06-2008, 13:33
Why can't we see some daemons of Doubt or the Fear of Failure, or even Fear itself.

How about a daemon of That Really Bad Secret You're Keeping That You Don't Want Your Loved Ones To Find Out About...?

Or maybe a daemon of Shame, or Regret. Or maybe Heartbreak. Or a daemon of Frustration.

They may seem a bit lacking on paper, but I guarantee if you met the daemonic opersonification of any of the above it would be totally umanning experience.

The recent Chaos Space Marine Codex mentions something like these ideas:

Some Daemons are weak, flittering things created from base emotions but with little personality or direction. They are creations of unnamed fear, general dread and foreboding. Though persistent, they lack the power and directions of the Daemons of a Chaos God.

MrBigMr
05-06-2008, 13:43
Makes you wonder how that race survived before they had the technological capabilities to work with metal. :P
Don't you know anything? Even Man'o'War knows that the gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good.

In 40k they are those who could not decide to which Chaos God to align and for that reason they are damned to wander the Warp alone, with no God to find security or whatever. Kinda dull...
My god.
*vomits violently, doing his best not to hit anything expensive*

By the way, kind of very off topic...but if you are interested in a version of 40k with no gaming balance you should check out Warspike (http://www.warspike.com/index.shtml), there is even a little discussion section here (http://anargo-sector.net/community/index.php/board,14.0.html). :)
Hmm... I'll have to have a look.