PDA

View Full Version : 3000 LM vs DE: What happens when two dragons hunt one frog?

Malorian
05-06-2008, 16:45
IMPORTANT NOTE: Although most of my games don't go 6 turns, this one does. No giving up in this one :)

As soon as I came in the dark elve player wanted a game... which was weird since I usually have to talk him into it. I then saw it was because he wanted to try his double dragon list against me again. This was going to be... interesting...

His army:
Highborn w/ hydra blade, armor of darkness, black dragon "Goldy"
Highborn w/ sword that autowounds on a 5+ to hit, blood armor, 4+ward, black dragon "Blacky"
Lvl 2 sorceress w/ 2 dispel scrolls
Lvl 2 sorceress w/ 2 dispel scrolls

10 warriors w/ repeater crossbows

20 witch elves w/ full command, banner of murder
20 executioners w/ full command, banner from SoC that lets them auto-rally
5 shades

4 repeater bolt throwers

My list:

2nd gen Slann w/ BSB, diadem of power, tepok, protection
*lvl1 fire/metal/death/light, lvl 3 fire*
scarvet w/ light armor, great weapon, tepok, sotek, jaguar charm
skink priest w/ rod of storm *lvl 4/2 heavens*
skink priest w/ 2 dispel scrolls *lvl 4/2 heavens*
skink priest *lvl 5/1 heavens*

20 temple guard w/ full command (6 wide)
20 saurus w/ full command
20 saurus w/ full command
10 skinks w/ javs (scout)
10 skinks w/ javs
10 skinks w/ blow pipes
10 skinks w/ blow pipes

6 chameleon skinks
4 kroxigors

3 salamanders
3 salamanders

Board was 4X6, and there was a long two stage hill at the back of his deployment zone. A hill with a tower in the right flank of his deployment zone. A forest on the left flank with a builing on my side of it.

He deployed his RBTs on the hill (top level) with the crossbowmen in front (lower level) and the sorceresses were joined to the two center units. Both the dragons were on the left flank. The witch elves were befind the forest facing towards the center and the executioners were in front of the hill.

My main line down the center was saurus w/ scarvet, salamanders w/ priest, temple guard w/ slann, salamanders w/ 2 priests, saurus. Then on the right flank I had the kroxagors. Seeing his dragons on the left flank (it's nice to have more units some times) all my skinks deployed on the left flank.

He won the roll for scouts and his shades went into the forest. My scouting skinks joined the others on the left flank and my chameleon skinks went into the tower.

He won the roll for first turn.

Pre-game thoughts: I'm not sure if he read what people wrote about him in the last report I wrote, but it sure seemed like he wanted revenge. My vampires had been able to deal with this army, but lizardmen were a different story. I planned to hold back and deal with the dragons first and then move against the units on the hill in the last few turns. I rolled very well for magic so I should do a lot of damge.

Turn 1 DE:

Dragons both fly up, one on either side of the building (blacky on the right made sure to be out of LOS of the scarvet). The shades move into the building. The magic phase is shut down (6 PD vs 8 DD). Crossbowmen on the right shoot at the chameleon skink with no effect. RBTs fire into the slann and 1 makes it past my 2+ ward causing 3 wounds (ouch). Goldy breaks fire on one unit of blowpipe skinks killing 4 and sending them fleeing. Blacky breaths fire in a way thay it hits two units but only ends up killing 1 jav skink. All other panic tests are passed.

Turn 1 LM:

Terror tests are passed. Skinks rally. Chameleon skinks march forward to threaten RBT. Kroxigors and saurus on the right march up. Rest of line turns to deal with dragons. Skinks move towards dragons for full effect. In the magic phase I draw out 2 scrolls and still get 1 reroll, and do a wound to blacky's rider and 2 to the dragon. The right salamanders fire on the shades and kill 4 (1 handler is eaten). Right salamanders and 2 units of skinks shoot into Blacky and kill the rider and leave the dragon with 2 wounds. Other skinks fire on Goldy with no effect (damn 2+ save). Blacky passes monster reaction test. Shade passes panic test.

Turn 2 DE:

Blacky flies behind temple guard, Goldy flies behind left saurus unit. Both dragons are setup for a dual charge on temple guard next turn. Magic is shut down. Crossbowmen on the right shoot at the chameleon skinks and kill 3 who panic and run. RBTs shoot at slann to no effect. Shade shoots at skinks to no effect. Goldy breaths fire on left salamanders and kills 5 handlers. Blacky breaths fire on other salamanders and kills 4 handlers and does a wound to a salamander. One unit of crossbowmen are just in range of right salamanders (had moved around temple guard to be in range). All other panic tests are passed.

Turn 2 LM:

I pass a bunch of terror tests (thanks to slann) but the left slamanders fail and flees toward the enemy. Chameleon skinks rally. Kroxigors move up. Saurus units turn to face and temple guard are able to reform to that both dragons would hit front. Skinks move in the best the can but one unit of javs are out of range (should have charged the building). Both skink priests run out of salamander unit which is now behind templeguard. In the magic phase I draw out the last two scrolls. I throw almost everything at Goldy and do 2 wounds to the rider and do two wounds to the dragon. In the shooting phase the salamanders with an empressive 24 hits finish off Blacky, and the skinks finish off the rider of Goldy (Goldy is still left with 4 wounds). Out of range skinks fire at shade and fail to hit.

Turn 3 DE:

Goldy charges salamanders behind temple guard (only room for him is to the left of the templeguard) and witches with their magical banner is just in range of fleeing salamanders who auto-flee into the dragon and are destroyed. Sorceresses move out of unit over towards chameleon skinks. Executioners turn towards kroxigors. With the help of a scroll the magic phase is shut down. RBTs and two units of crossbowmen fire at kroxigors and kill 2 and wound another. Crossbowmen fire at chameleon skinks and fail to hit. Shade shoots at skinks and kills 1. In combat the dragon kills 1 salamander and the remaining two do a wound back. I lose combat but hold.

Turn 3 LM:

Kroxigor charges the right most unit of crossbowmen, leaving only 1 after stand and shoot. Saurus on left charge the rear of the dragon. Right saurus turn towards hill. Temple guard to a 180 and wheel towards the witchelves and slann moves to the front rank on the far right. Most of the skinks run up to be to the left of the witchelves, but the unit of 6 moves over so the two priests can join them in the back of my deployment zone. Chameleon skinks move towards sorceresses. In the magic phase I blast the witchelves killing 12, I also kill 3 executioners. One skink gives me 3 rerolls and the other takes a wound off 1 sorceress. In the shooting phase I throw a bunch of shots into the shade and finish him off. The chameleon skinks kill the wounded sorceress. In combat, with the help of my rerolls my scar vet does 1 wound to the dragon (:wtf:) the dragon kills another salamander. Goldy breaks from combat but I fail to catch him. Kroxigor kills 1 warrior and loses combat but holds.

Turn 4 DE:

Witches are out of range with banner so the only move up. Goldy rallies. The executioners move towards my line. The magic phase is shut down. In the shooting phase the crossbowmen kill 1 chameleon skink, but I pass my panic test. Other crossbowmen fire at salamanders and only the salamander is left (who passes monster reaction test). The RBTs fire at the saurus unit on the left but only kill 4 models. In the combat phase the warriors kill the kroxigor.

Turn 4 LM:

Saurus on right and scarvet charge the dragon and it flees through the executioners (don't panic). I move up my failed distance. Saurus on left turn towards witches. Lone salamander moves back. Skinks move up the left flank more. In the magic phase I get 2 rerolls. I kill about 10 executioners and also kill 4 crossbowmen from the units second from the right. They flee off the table and take a RBT with them. In the shooting phase the salamander misfires but there is no handlers to eat (opponent double checks army book to see if I'm suppose to take any wounds... I'm not :D) The chameleon skinks fire on the other sorceress and kill her (these guys are up for MVP for sure).

Turn 5 DE:

Witch elves charge the scarvet, who flees, and they redirect into the temple guard. Goldy rallies. Executioners move up. In the shooting phase the chameleon skinks are wiped out by the crossbowmen. Other crossbowmen fire on the skinks and kill a couple. RBTs go after the saurus again but only 1 hits and kills 2. In the combat phase the slann makes a challenge witch the hag accepts. The hags does a wound to the slann and the slann does nothing back. Thanks to rerolls I don't lose any temple guard and I kill 3 witches. They flee but I fail to catch.

Turn 5 LM:

Scarvet runs off table (damn...). My force moves up. In the magic phase I completely wipe out the executioners and in the shooting phase I kill a couple of witchs and a few crossbowmen on the left flank.

Turn 6 DE:

Witches rally. He goes after the slann again with the RBTs to no effect. A few more skinks die.

Turn 6 LM:

I charge the witches and they flee (I know they might as well have held, but I think he just didn't want anymore of his models to die). In the magic phase I start on the dragon but give up, turning my attentions to another unit of crossbowmen. I bring them down to 1 model but even with my shooting I can't finish the last model off.

Solid win for the lizardmen! (21W 5L 4T)

Post-game thoughts:

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to deal with those dragons. But I guess when you have a machinegun slann, 6 salamanders and 40 skinks they can't hold up forever. I think his mistake was going for the gamble of getting rid of the skinks first turn. Sure I had to take a lot of panic and terror tests from the dragon and his fire breath, but with the slann and cold-blooded rule I was able to hold out and blast him. He would have been better off ignoring the skinks and setting up the first turn to he could charge the temple guard second turn, but who am I to complain. The last turn he had basically given up. He's REALLY tired of losing with his dark elves.

Anyway, as usual, thank you for reading :)

Arguleon-veq
05-06-2008, 17:08
Nice Rep and congrats on the win.

Your Salamanders fled from Terror from the Dragon? Dont they only Fear the Dragon?

Im thinking of expanding my measly Lizardmen force, Salamanders will be my first port of call.

Malorian
05-06-2008, 17:19
Your Salamanders fled from Terror from the Dragon? Dont they only Fear the Dragon?

Damn it! I just had to roll so many of those dang tests that I guess I got carried away :angel: Oh well, it made the battle a lot closer that way at least...

Arguleon-veq
05-06-2008, 17:32
I had a phase of constantly rolling animosity for my chariots when I shouldn't have been.

At least it didnt affect the outcome.

Do you like to use your Salamanders as pure fire support or would you advise using them agressivly to try and support combats?

Malorian
05-06-2008, 17:35
I use my salamanders for fire support, as baiters (people can't help but charge them), and to hit the flank of units in combat with the big blocks.

Bretonnian Lord
05-06-2008, 21:35
Congrats on the hard fought win!

I'm not up-to-date on the latest news, have the DE got their new army book yet?

SevenSins
05-06-2008, 22:46
nicely done! to bad for the DE though, maybe magic heavy DE will serve him better than dragons? (I haven't got a clue by the way ;) )

Peegore
05-06-2008, 23:21
Blacky the dragon dealt with in turn 1... I thought to myself at that point " wonder if malorian's gonna win this" ;)

Turns out my gut instinct was quite. er, instinctive!

Nice to see reports containing one of your armies that doesn't suck the life out of the enemy whilst bringing once dead infantry back to fight :)

As usual, enjoyed this very much!

Feefait
06-06-2008, 14:32
Nice report and solid vicotry. I've never tried the machine gun slann but always think about it. Nice to see hwo it might work. One thing though, I don't think Slann can challenge or accept challenges. Isn't it part of their whole "we don't fight" thing? I just took my book out of my back pack to! lol

Malorian
06-06-2008, 15:55
The fluff part says he can't fight and that the skink fights for him, but he's still a character and can make/accept challenges as normal.

Feefait
06-06-2008, 18:01
My mistake then. :) I have never even considered the possibility, and he's never been out of the secnd rank to be in a position to either be challanged or challenge himself.
I think the dragons were probably a good bet, but they got handled pretty well and things went well for Malorian. I may have gone directly for the big units and tried to take out the characters, or after the salamanders.
I actually welcome charges on my salamanders and charge with them myself. They are remarkably resilient and sometimes that fear is very nice. The only issue is the 2 attacks... not sure they should have the same amount as a saurus, but not like you can really EVER complain about their effectiveness, as evidinced here.

Gimp
06-06-2008, 21:06
I really dont want to be mean but sigh your friend has a really bad list.

Dark Elf infantry does work ) I use1 too. But have 2 large blocks of infantry does not. Lots of small units is how you use Dark Elf infantry.

And his hero selections sigh. 2 dragon lords is no good at all.

szlachcic
07-06-2008, 00:11
I really dont want to be mean but sigh your friend has a really bad list.

Dark Elf infantry does work ) I use1 too. But have 2 large blocks of infantry does not. Lots of small units is how you use Dark Elf infantry.

And his hero selections sigh. 2 dragon lords is no good at all.

I am going to have to agree with Gimp. This seems like a guy that wanted to take the DE "gunline" concept and run with it in all the wrong directions. Definitely one of those lists you think up in your head, think it sounds great, and upon further review realize it was the worst idea ever. Anyways, not trying to detract from your win as it seems like you played well and your list looks very solid.

PS- WTF was up with his infantry units? A 20 man WE and a 20 man Executioner unit? Both of these units are better utilized in formations with wider frontages, taking them in a 5x4 formation severely limits their potential.

Malorian
07-06-2008, 00:23
I think his idea was that I would move up and then run in circles after the dragons, allowing his gunline to shoot at me at will. However, realizing this possibility I didn't move up and just dealt with the dragons. The obvious thing to do would have been to move up the crossbowmen... but I think he just loves that hill.

Those blocks are crazy if you get hit by them, but I really wish he would at least try the MSU idea. He always goes for the gunline with a big fist (be it 20 WE or 10 coldone knights) and it just isn't working for him...

Gimp
09-06-2008, 00:44
I think his idea was that I would move up and then run in circles after the dragons, allowing his gunline to shoot at me at will. However, realizing this possibility I didn't move up and just dealt with the dragons. The obvious thing to do would have been to move up the crossbowmen... but I think he just loves that hill.

Those blocks are crazy if you get hit by them, but I really wish he would at least try the MSU idea. He always goes for the gunline with a big fist (be it 20 WE or 10 coldone knights) and it just isn't working for him...

Changing ones tactics and unit composition can really do some good. I used to use a dark elf gun line and i failed baddly with it. Now i use MSU aggressively and it works well.

Conotor
11-06-2008, 12:42
You both had a LOT of shooting/magic.