PDA

View Full Version : Fast Cavalry and Rallying

Wreckage
23-10-2005, 07:43
On page 117 of WHFB rulebook it states that: "Unlike normal troops, a unit of fast cavalry which chooses to flee as a charge reaction and subsequently rallies at the beginning of their next turn may reform facing in any direction and is free to move during the Movement phase."

Then on page 269 it states: "If fast cavalry choose flee as a charge reaction, they rally automatically in their next rally phase and may reform facing any direction."

So if a unit of fast cavalry flees as a charge reaction and is not caught and destroyed, it rallies automatically, can reform facing any direction, and is free to move during the movement phase?

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-10-2005, 09:11
No. It doesn't rally automatically. It can however move if it rallies.

Wreckage
23-10-2005, 10:54
No. It doesn't rally automatically. It can however move if it rallies.

Why not? On page 269 of the WHFB Rulebook it states: "If fast cavalry choose flee as a charge reaction, they rally automatically in their next rally phase and may reform facing any direction."
(Italics mine)

Was this changed in a Chronicles or something?

Atrahasis
23-10-2005, 12:52
Was this changed in a Chronicles or something?

Yes, the first Annual, back in 2002.

Griefbringer
23-10-2005, 12:54
That thing on the page 269 was a mistake that was not supposed to be in the book - somebody just screwed up big time.

Angelripper
23-10-2005, 13:05
As written in the Fast Cavalry Entry in the Book, they can move after they rallied. nothing about rallying (sp?) automatically. I Think if they can it would be in stated the entry. And besides it feels wrong to me.

Wreckage
23-10-2005, 16:20
As written in the Fast Cavalry Entry in the Book, they can move after they rallied. nothing about rallying (sp?) automatically. I Think if they can it would be in stated the entry. And besides it feels wrong to me.

Yes, there is something written in the book about rallying automatically, but as someone pointed out above, it was corrected in a Chronicles.

JackInTheGreen
23-10-2005, 17:57
p.269 is appendix anyway, and not a part of the rules.

Festus
23-10-2005, 20:13
Hi

The appendices are part of the rules...

Greetings
Festus

WLBjork
23-10-2005, 23:01
Remember that the guideline is that where there is a difference between the Summary (Appendix) and the Main Rules, the Main Rules take precedence until ruled otherwise.

snikch13
24-10-2005, 02:03
Hi

The appendices are part of the rules...

Greetings
Festus

no, the appendices are the appendices, not the rules. hence them being called appendices.

the appendices attempt to condense the rules in the back for quick reference... they dont do a good job however. gw has explicitly stated time and time again to ignore the appendices, since they are so jacked up. in all reality you need to cut them out of your book and burn them forever. :p

Festus
24-10-2005, 08:28
Hi

Unfortunately, that is not the case.

The rules are split in three different categories or parts:

The main game rules (up to and including the psychology rules), the advanced game rules (up to the scenarios) and the appendices (including stuff like *special rules*, sieges, skirmishes, etc.).
The only thing taken out of the rules in its whole is the appendix about the charges bit (p. 268 or something if my memory serves, but this is addressed in the Chronicles).

Festus

Eldaron
24-10-2005, 12:25
The appendices are either additions to the rules (like skirmishes, sieges) or (as clearly stated in the specific appendices) more detailed viewings of the rules.
The only appendices relevant for the game rules are 6, 7 and 8 (since 5 has been errated and actually has been completely erased from the rulebook in newer editions).
So first for Appendix 6:
At the beginning is clearly stated that what is to be read here are only a more detailed view on the rules (note that it states that the ACTUAL rules are in the rules section of the book and the ones in the appendix are either more details ore some handy additional rules). Due to this paragraph it is clear that everything in this appendix cannot and does not ever overrule the core rules. So if there is a part here that is in opposition to the main rules section the main rules section takes precedence.

Appendix 7:
Here it is actually said that the main rules are always the effective ones and appendix 7 is only an aggregation for quick reference. So here again, the main rules section always takes precedence over the appendix since that is clearly said in the first paragraph of the appendix itself.

Appendix 8:
Again it is said in the first paragraph that the rules in the main rules section are always taking precedence over the appendix.

So Festus may theoretically be right but is basically wrong since all appendices concerning he main rules (read: appendix 6, 7 and 8) themselves state that those main rules always and ever take precedence over the rules formulated in the appendices.

Festus
24-10-2005, 19:02
Hi

Do we disagree?

I don't think so; The appendices still are rules, they clear up things, provide quick reference, and so forth. And in a case of any discrepancies, the main game rules and the advanced rules shall be used.

This is easy with the mentioned fast cav rule: The appendix is wrong, the advanced rules on p.117 are right.

But the appendices are still rules.
And so do you say:

the rules formulated in the appendices :)

Heck, I even believe many Special Rules are *only* given in the relevant appendix, or aren't they?

Greetings
Festus

Earlandir
27-10-2005, 00:44
i believe that the scout special rules are only stated in the appendixes

Izram
27-10-2005, 01:49
Im pretty sure scout is on the same page as the other sepcial rules, the page before breath weapons?

Tarax
27-10-2005, 14:07
Yup, page 112.