PDA

View Full Version : Mounting wraiths on nightmares?

Slappy
23-10-2005, 06:44
Anyone ever done and how did you do it?

I may try to find an alternate wraith model for this purpose as I can't see cutting one in half.

gorenut
23-10-2005, 07:34
I personally haven't done it, but I can see where it can be useful vs low leadership armies. A fast moving, ethereal terror causer.

I just wish the Wraith itself had some kind of power to warrant having TERROR. Something like a built-in hands of dust power to represent him as dishing out death. (sorry for the rant, haha)

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-10-2005, 10:12
Why does he have to have some uber-death power to cause terror?

It's not his combat abilities thats the reason he cause terror. It's the dread the emanates from him.

DeathMasterSnikch
23-10-2005, 10:29
But zombies arn't as terrifying?

Zombies are only fear causers and seeing a half rotten corpse ( taht could have been somone you know since they are raised on the field of battle from the corpse of the fallen) is a bit scarier than a skeleton in a dressingown.

Hideous Loon
23-10-2005, 11:33
But Snikch, he's DEATH. You know, the Skellie with the scythe. I think that, since practically (or however you spell the damn word...) every man, woman and child knows who he is, from seeing Him on a Tarot card or something, and when you see Him, it means you're going to die, and that's no fun...

Griefbringer
23-10-2005, 11:40
I may try to find an alternate wraith model for this purpose as I can't see cutting one in half.

How about the mounted LotR ringwraiths (aka Nazgul)?

DeathMasterSnikch
23-10-2005, 11:42
But seeing your dead friend with his bowles hanging out, with his limbs falling off trying to rip you to peices is?

And not every culture has death as a skeleton with a scythe. I know a lot about death after being particularly interested in him since Pratchet books. Plus most men of the empire won't have seen a great deal of tarrot cards as they are viewed as dark magic. Witch hunters and other preists of sigmar etc are completely against them and as the majority of teh empire don't deal in dark magics...

Flypaper
23-10-2005, 12:06
The Lord of Nurgle (http://uk.games-workshop.com/hordesofchaos/miniature-gallery/6/) has a hood, a scythe, a horse, and a general ambience of death... All you really need to do is stick him on a regular cavalry base and give him a less green-centric paintjob. :angel:

Edit: Incidentally, I was under the impression the Terror thing was a specific supernatural power as opposed to just being the result of the Wraith's look-and-feel - i.e. it's a mental power (like a weaker version of a Banshee sceam) to make weaker wills break.

Keller
23-10-2005, 14:47
Edit: Incidentally, I was under the impression the Terror thing was a specific supernatural power as opposed to just being the result of the Wraith's look-and-feel - i.e. it's a mental power (like a weaker version of a Banshee sceam) to make weaker wills break.

Perhaps some units could explain it that way, such as using the Wailing Helm on a Vampire character. However, for the most part I would think it just to be that the terror-causing unit is just scary. That would better explain monsters such as dragons, treemen, and griffins.

Slappy
23-10-2005, 15:30
Lord of Nurgle. Perfect!

lorelorn
23-10-2005, 23:06
Anyone ever done and how did you do it?

Yes, I have done it, and I used a miniature from the Reaper Miniatures range, which was perfect. However I think it has since been discontinued, as a check of their website did not bring it up.

GW used to have a classic mounted wraith, but since they've cut the figures available it's no longer around. I didn't see anything in the Confrontation range either.

Flypaper
24-10-2005, 01:23
Perhaps some units could explain it that way, such as using the Wailing Helm on a Vampire character. However, for the most part I would think it just to be that the terror-causing unit is just scary. That would better explain monsters such as dragons, treemen, and griffins.

Sure. I just specifically meant the Wraiths, and why they're supposed to be scarier than a zombie or normal skeleton. ;)

EvC
24-10-2005, 20:37
I wanted to make one, to act as a mounted herald for an imminent tournament game, but couldn't really be bothered, so instead I've gone for a slightly more insane herald...

m1s1n
24-10-2005, 21:59
You could always attempt greenstuff cloaks. They really aren't that hard to do. Convert a skeleton with a scythe on a nightmare. Take a some greenstuff and smooth if flat between celaphane (sp?). Let it dry then paint it black. Cut up the pieces to look like rags then glue them to the converted (and now painted) skellie.