PDA

View Full Version : 2000pts Vamire Counts combat oriented

06-06-2008, 12:41
Here goes then

Vampire Lord
Walach's Bloody Hauberk, Blood Drinker, Supernatural Horror, Red Fury, Lord of the Dead - 380pts

Vampire
Flayed Hauberk, Sword of battle, Summon Ghouls - 155pts

Vampire
Dread Knight - 125pts

Necromancer
Invocation of Nehek, Corpse Cart mout with Unholy Loadstone - 155pts

20 Skeletons, Champion, Standard Bearer, Standard of Everlasting Death - 191pts

20 Skeletons, Champion, Standard Bearer - 176pts

21 Zombies - 84pts

10 Crypt Ghouls, Crypt ghast - 88pts

11 Grave Guard, Champion, Standard Bearer, Royal Standard of Strigos - 191pts

4 Fell Bats - 80pts

7 Black Knights, Champion, Standard Bearer - 200pts

Varghulf - 175

Total - 2000pts

So the Vampire Lord joins the grave guard for a hard hitting unit and the dread knight joins the black knights to counter chargeflanks etc. the other vampire joins the unit of ghouls to give 18 attacks on the charge to hopefully win most combats and can help the skeleton tarpits out if required

all suggestions and comments welcome
thanks

SevenSins
06-06-2008, 15:00
first of all multi-threading is frowned upon in this forum. And 30minutes are not a long time to wait for answers ;)

I think the GG are a bit on the small side, if you fail to boost their numbers quickly they'll be destroyed... But as you run decent sized skellie units it just might work.

all in all looks ok to my untrained eyes

Andrew Luke
06-06-2008, 15:58
GG can be effective in a unit of 12 as a flanker, but not as your scary hard hitting unit. Hold them behind your line, allowing their small size to make your opponent focus on something else, and then charge in with 7 great weapon attacks to dish the pain. Also, any combat list needs a BSB, I suggest flag of blood keep on the mounted Vamp knight, Or go drakenhoff for your lords unit if you are all eggs in one basket type of guy. My personal pick would be to swap your mounted vamp for wight king and add Banner of the Barrows. This will allow you to keep your ethereal movement and really crush on the charge.

dinobot
06-06-2008, 21:49
First of all, your necromancer on a corpse cart would total up to 170 points, not 155.

Next, your army doesn't hit very hard and most of your units are too small to autobreak the enemy. You should take a second rare slot to help in this regard; Cairn Wraiths or Blood Knights would do well.

And finally, you have a bunch of useless stuff. I'd lose the banner of everlasting death, as well as 'summon ghouls' on the level one vampire. The unholy lodestone will also be kind of useless, since you'll barely be doing any raising in the first place.

07-06-2008, 12:11
thanks for the comments, just a few questions though. firstly i'm pretty sure the necromancer will be 155pts as in his base profile it says he already knows one spell, which i chose to be invocation of nehek, for 55pts. this added to the corpse cart mount at 100pts should only come to 155pts.

Also, i dont really see the need for a BSB in the army. i feel drakenhof is too expensive, 125pts for regen, to be blunt. banner of the barrows is useful but the main reason i put a vampire with the black knights is to march move and hopefully outmanouvre opposing opposition. the banner of barrows would help in combat but the vampire should do enough damage. alternatively, i could just give the black knights the royal standard of strigos so then hating all enemies, can re-roll to hit (i think).

The other question i have is about fell bats. for the same points i could get 2 units of 5 dire wolves which could then move ahead of my main army to stop the opponent from marching. what are the thoughts on this tactic.

thanks again

dinobot
07-06-2008, 20:20
I never noticed the part about necromancers getting one free spell, that's pretty cool. You might want to switch it to Van Hels though, since you could tap into the armies dice pool and try casting it once a turn, which is far more effective then casting a single invocation.

You should also go for the two dire wolf units. The dire wolves would be unit strength 10 each and could march block, flank, screen and warmachine hunt, where as the bats could only do the latter two.

thebaz
08-06-2008, 05:41
Firstly Necromancers are way more useful having Invocation. and giving him another spell for fifteen points is extremely cheep which I would suggest doing and take Dance

Also on Your Vampire I dont want to sound like a jerk but man u gotta take AVATAR OF DEATH. Its the best thing to have for your vampire. Your Army relies on combat resolution and most of the time you will be out manouvered. So Avatar of Death and Battle Standard each add +1 combat resolution. I suggest using them

dinobot
08-06-2008, 06:17
Firstly Necromancers are way more useful having Invocation. and giving him another spell for fifteen points is extremely cheep which I would suggest doing and take Dance
He could only cast invocation once and it would be limited to zombies. Even if that was effective, he wouldn't be able to put it to much use as he only has one zombie unit and doesn't have the summoning power to make many more.

And buying a spell for 15 points isn't cheap, considering you only generate one power dice in the first place. Van Hels alone is enough, considering all your other vampires can already cast invocation.

Also on Your Vampire I dont want to sound like a jerk but man u gotta take AVATAR OF DEATH. Its the best thing to have for your vampire. Your Army relies on combat resolution and most of the time you will be out manouvered. So Avatar of Death and Battle Standard each add +1 combat resolution. I suggest using them

OP, I'm pretty sure he's talking about 'walking death'. If you want, you could switch the hero vampires 'summon ghouls' with it. Since the dread knight is going to be flanking, he should already be pretty certain he'll win a combat, so +1 combat res won't be too great.

thebaz
08-06-2008, 18:45
Dinobot I suggest that you read the rules again. Invokation of Nehek can be cast as many times as you want as well as it can be cast on any undead unit to restore it to its original amount of wounds. Hence why it can be so amazingly powerful you can roll one die each time to cast over and over again.

If You Take Raise Dead you can create a new Zombie unit though which would be alright especially if you take sceptre de noirot on your necromancer.

also yes I did mean Walking Death. and with Vampire Counts you always want to have the ability to have +1 Combat Res wherever you can. It never hurts. and it only costs 25 points which you can raise units anywase. You are much more safer to cover your **** from the get go than to just hope that theres no flyers or fast calvalry to get your flank or rear of your best unit and wipe it out entirely. Cuz most of your casualties will come from losing in combat after the first round