PDA

View Full Version : A BSB with a missile weapon, legal ot not?

Zeb
23-10-2005, 08:16
A frind of mine and I have had an argument over ICQ about the possibility to arm a BSB with the Lifetaker (a magical crossbow).

Now here is the problem; you don't have to be able to take the mundane weapon to take the magical one (GW FAQ p. 116, first column; online).
The same FAQ says that the BSB can't use weapons that requires two hands (or a shield).

The Wood Elf BSB loses his mandatory longbow when upgraded to a BSB.

So what is the rules?

Can a HE BSB take the Reaver Bow? The DE BSB thake Lifetaker? A WE BSB take any of the magical bows? The Empire has a magical bow as well, and the Dwarfs has mundane guns... what about these?

Thanks!

Wreckage
23-10-2005, 08:40
I think I would slap someone who tried to tell me that a bow/crossbow (magical or not) doesn't require two hands.

Gorbad Ironclaw
23-10-2005, 09:06
By the rules they don't require two hands, so you can use them. Of course, it does seem rather silly, but I don't think there is anything preventing it, except possibly common(?) sense.

Festus
23-10-2005, 11:08
Hi

Right: The lifetaker is a valid option for a DE BSB, as it is not an item that requires two hands (hecks, many of the RX-bows are even used onehanded by the DEs).

The Bow or longbow *technically* doesn't need two hands either, as the *needs two hands* description only is applied with equipment (magical or otherwise) which is used in close combat.

But fluffwise it makes sense to disallow the Bow for the WE BSB.

Greetings
FEstus

DeathMasterSnikch
23-10-2005, 11:46
If he has a magical standard he isn't allowed any other magical weapons.

If not, its just him being a jammy git IMO. He is taking advantage of unsaid rules, Isn't it in a way like saying

'My Dwarf lord is going to ride a hydra because it doesn't say he can't'

I mean what DE is going to be able to hold a standard and fire a freekin crowwbow with 1 hand?

Atrahasis
23-10-2005, 12:51
Isn't it in a way like saying

'My Dwarf lord is going to ride a hydra because it doesn't say he can't'

No. It isn't.

The rules state that a BSB can take any weapon that does not require two hands. Crossbows don't require two hands.

T10
23-10-2005, 13:01
I hve never noticed a hard and fast rule that states the the Battle Standard Bearer has one hand dedicated to holding the standard.

In general each codex specifies limits the mundane equipment options of the Battle Standard Bearer to that applicable to his mount or whatever can be worn. I cannot recall any instance where this is "explained".

In conclusion: Magical missile weapons appear to be valid options for Battle Standard Bearers.

-T10

Flame
23-10-2005, 13:01
I mean what DE is going to be able to hold a standard and fire a freekin crowwbow with 1 hand?

A crossbow unit standard? A dark rider standard bearer?

Come on, its hardly game breaking, is it.

For woodies, I think the option for a longbow was removed purely to stop him taking a HoD arrow.

Wreckage
23-10-2005, 16:13
A crossbow unit standard? A dark rider standard bearer?

Come on, its hardly game breaking, is it.

For woodies, I think the option for a longbow was removed purely to stop him taking a HoD arrow.
Unit standards also can use Great weapons, halberds, additional hand weapons, shields, etc. They also cant be targeted. The are quite simply 'different'.

I dont think that the sole reason for removing the longbow from the BSB was to stop him from using HoD. He can purchase Asyendi's Bane (magical longbow) and still have enough points for HoD. Magical bow doesnt apply to HoD, but he can fire it nonetheless.

By the way, the model has a bow and quiver. :wtf:

I think this was probably a simple oversight in the rules.

JackInTheGreen
23-10-2005, 18:00
There is a Q&A regarding Enchanted Shield, which states that you need the mundane option to be able to take a magic one. I think this extends to the BSB lifetaker issue.

Besides, I think any sane judge at a tournament will disallow it.

JitG

Flame
23-10-2005, 18:13
That applies to armour, specifically shields. NOT weapons, or any other category. Any sane tournament judge would surely follow the rules?

Atrahasis
23-10-2005, 18:16
There is a Q&A regarding Enchanted Shield, which states that you need the mundane option to be able to take a magic one.

BSBs are specifically prohibited from taking shields (magical or mundane) but that's where the limitation ends.