PDA

View Full Version : Night Lords Help needed

The Song of Spears
06-06-2008, 16:08
Hey there all, I am modeling a Night Lords army for a friend and he requested a Daemon Prince in the list. But i am not sure what a night lords daemon prince would look like. :confused:

They are masters of stealth and the shadows, night and all that. So how and where would they use such a beast? I did notice the daemon prince is only toughness 5 so maybe i dont have to model him so huge, just a bit bigger than a marine?

if it were not up to the codex, what kinds of powers would a night lords daemon prince (or the like) have?

Cheers!

different13
06-06-2008, 17:08
Are we talking about a Night Lord that's ascended to daemonhood, or 'just' a daemon prince possessing a Night Lord?

As the latter could be any...

I can imagine either wings, a cloak or some kind of shadowy surrounding. In fact, the Be'Lakor model would be great - replace the wings with a modelled cloak, perhaps extend the talons a bit...

As for the NL use of daemon princes >>>>> (SPOILER AHEAD)

In Lord of the Night it is implied their current leader is a daemon prince (former marine Krieg Acerbus)

The_Outsider
06-06-2008, 17:26
I'm a fan of the idea of the daemon's skin (well, thsoe that shows through the armour (based upon the current DP model)) being jet black, to the point where it doesn't even reflect light (though this is a bit of a bugger when it comes to painting). I would "bleed" the black onto the armour as if its encroaching (2 examples I can think of that may give the idea i'm going for is the double "OO" of the mysterons from captain scarlet and at 9:55-10:00 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQy6R5a_6xQ) and again at 10:25).

Then have the NL armour painted in very dulled colours (even by NL standards) and have the eys painted i na contrasting colour (not too contrasting mind) just to stand out.

The Song of Spears
06-06-2008, 17:30
Are we talking about a Night Lord that's ascended to daemonhood, or 'just' a daemon prince possessing a Night Lord?

As the latter could be any...

I can imagine either wings, a cloak or some kind of shadowy surrounding. In fact, the Be'Lakor model would be great - replace the wings with a modelled cloak, perhaps extend the talons a bit...

As for the NL use of daemon princes >>>>> (SPOILER AHEAD)

In Lord of the Night it is implied their current leader is a daemon prince (former marine Krieg Acerbus)

makes sense, could be either kind of daemon prince i guess, possessed or ascended... what 'powers' did krieg acerbus exhibit?

I'm a fan of the idea of the daemon's skin (well, thsoe that shows through the armour (based upon the current DP model)) being jet black, to the point where it doesn't even reflect light (though this is a bit of a bugger when it comes to painting). I would "bleed" the black onto the armour as if its encroaching (2 examples I can think of that may give the idea i'm going for is the double "OO" of the mysterons from captain scarlet and at 9:55-10:00 in this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQy6R5a_6xQ) and again at 10:25).

Then have the NL armour painted in very dulled colours (even by NL standards) and have the eys painted i na contrasting colour (not too contrasting mind) just to stand out.

the black skin and dark armour makes sense. I am guessing this guy just pops out in situation where total terror tactics and a bit of chaos power is called for?

what powers would he have (storywise and game wise) would be be a psyker?

InquisitorNiels
06-06-2008, 20:13
Night Haunter, the primarch of the Night Lords had visions of the future...granted they where the darkest version of the future. Now, I would guess that if he had to have a power the one that lets you see into the future and re-roll your attacks/wounds/what ever it is would be the best, and most fitting. I think its called warp time or something but I'm not 100% on that one.

As for his look I would make him bigger then a marine, but maybe not as large as the DP model. I'm not a huge fan of Night Lords worshiping chaos, but that's just my out look on the matter. If your friend wants a big, cool model for his HQ then go for it. I would say stay with the NL dark blue and gold colors just keep the highlights to a minimum to create the blending of armour/skin effect that someone else talked about. NLs are also known to have very pale skin so maybe you can go in that direction to get some nice contrast going with the dark armour and shadows.

Just my ideas. Take what you want.

SlaughterSong
06-06-2008, 20:30
i have a novel that describes a night lords deamon prince/lord wutever in detail, i will try to remember to post it when i get home, if i remember correctly he was big, not quite as big from the description as a normal deamon prince but still big, lots of spiky bitz and looking terrifying helps, and yea black on black on black seems like a the color scheme :p

ChaosBeast
06-06-2008, 20:33
you could reposition belakor the dark master, he looks quite battish, and put some termy shouder pads and other termy elements on him. (he's about the right scale for termy parts)

The Song of Spears
06-06-2008, 20:47
Great ideas guys, i look forward to hearing more. I think a Beakalor model size is perfect, but i dont want something at 'daemon looking'. if you know what i mean. I might try some kitbashing with something like beakalor and a chaos termi...hmmm

Hicks
06-06-2008, 22:50
Nightlords have white skin, so I would prefer a paler color for the skin rather than black. I think Krieg had wings that shifted in and out of reality too, maybe that could inspire something.

Also, Nighlords aren't as much stealthy as they are scary. Whole systems have surrendered under the threat of a NL attack, so I guess they make it pretty clear when they are somewhere. A daemon prince should really reflect this with a very terrifying appearence.

I think the current prince with torn dragon wings, huge claws (as weapons, so no sword) and a devilish face would be great.

Tiller5
06-06-2008, 23:43
As monstrous as you can get, I reckon. They're meant to be scary as heck, so big wings, talons, sharp needly teeth, and definitely imposing. Oh, and perhaps use really dark shades of their legion colours, to make it look as though they are lurking in the shadows. Perhaps they could be modelled as being underneath CoD buildings, or leaping from the darkness. Brr, reminds me of last weeks Doctor Who episode.....

Koryphaus
06-06-2008, 23:57
Rather than using the Dragon wings, or Belakor's wings, why not use feathered wings? Kurze had an immense cloak made from raven feathers. Plus it would move away from the reptillian wings than I see on so many DPs

Lord of ???
07-06-2008, 01:57
I'ld reposition him so that he is on top of a perch with his wings curving over his body to place him in shade.

Sort of like a bird watching for prey before striking.

thechosenone
07-06-2008, 03:36
I not totally sure about a Night Lord becoming a Demon Prince. They seem not to care so much about that sort of thing but... Here's what i'd do. I'd take the standard Chaos demon prince model. Loose the head and the back pack. Replace the head or just cover the face with the helmet style face plate from a defiler and try and make a huge jet pack rather then wings. The exhaust engine on a defiler is a good size. The sword on the soul grinder is a nice weapon and maybe making a handheld weapon out of the kai gun on the pewter terminator lord. That's more marine then demon on all that stuff and maybe that's what you want. Not sure. Good luck

Jobhug
08-06-2008, 10:45
Ascerbus the axemaster is a Nightlord who fully embraced chaos, in accordance with the Night Haunter's repressed wishes, rather than his desire to see his legion punish the imperium but not embrace chaos. He is described as being huge, melded with his power armor, Large leathery wings, bestial horns and of course a great big axe. He makes an appearance in lord of the night, sounds pretty close to the standard daemon prince model, with different arms and wings...

The Song of Spears
08-06-2008, 17:50
Well, as far as the ideas go we are going with a oversized marines daemon thing. And as far as rules we are going with a summoned greater daemon. By the fluff we decided that the terror the NL wreak upon their foes means that a ascended champion would call upon the great powers of chaos at just the right moment to erupt into a horrifying monster and then rampage around as a 'daemon prince'.

This ALSO fits in with their 'infiltration fluff'. Where the said ascended champion can sneak in then when he finds the enemy HQ or some such, turn into a scary daemon prince and kill his foes.

What do you all think of that?

Zothos
10-06-2008, 19:28
I am mounting a Chaos marine on a Lizardman Carnosaur and using either Daemon Prince rules or Lord on bike rules for it.

It keeps with the Night Lord idea of not worshipping chaos, and also gets the job done for a nice conversion that catches attention.

Richter Kless
10-06-2008, 20:21
How about some Chernabog? (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/8/89/Chernabog1.jpg/240px-Chernabog1.jpg)

vulcan raven
11-06-2008, 03:26
generally their tactics are
-small raids over big battles to acheive objectives
-sever communications

Night Haunters physical attributes were stated as iirc
-practically white skin
-pupil so large that his eyes seemed black due to growing up on a planet in perpetual night[as a result he suffered seizures in normal light conditions]

chapter traits were
-night sight superior to normal marines

legion trademark tactics
-severing communications
-small battles to obtain objectives over large ones
-genocide
-making examples of opponets
-executing all those who surrender

lovely bunch of guys eh. hope that helps

Nazguire
11-06-2008, 05:02
generally their tactics are
-small raids over big battles to acheive objectives
-sever communications

Night Haunters physical attributes were stated as iirc
-practically white skin
-pupil so large that his eyes seemed black due to growing up on a planet in perpetual night[as a result he suffered seizures in normal light conditions]

chapter traits were
-night sight superior to normal marines

legion trademark tactics
-severing communications
-small battles to obtain objectives over large ones
-genocide
-making examples of opponets
-executing all those who surrender

lovely bunch of guys eh. hope that helps

It wasnt so much small raids over larger battles, as it was ganging up and using over kill on weaker opponents to make an example to the enemy. Says in the Index Astartes that Night Lords will rarely engage an opponent capable of putting up an equal fight, and will always pick on the weak and helpless in preference to stronger foes, as this increases the fear in the enemy.

Other gene-seed traits of the Legion were that the Librarians (and now Sorcerors) were gifted with the same sort of precognitive foresight that Night Haunter had. See the future, but only the darkest and most depressing possible futures that lay ahead.

Made large use of Raptors before the Heresy and still do, as well as capturing Furies and other winged daemons to assist them in these roles. Fast, mobile and stealthy units, so not many vehicles other then faster ones like bikes, (pre-Heresy) anti-grav vehicles, Rhinos etc.

Lord-Caerolion
11-06-2008, 05:36
Well yeah, we actually prefer to attack in overwhelming force, and utterly crush the enemy into the ground, not this "many small battles" rubbish. Really, I don't see how "small battles" equals "makes an example of the opponents". Also, it can't have just been against weaker enemies, as we know from Lord of the Night that the Night Lords were used against the most stubborn enemies, that just won't give up. We got sent in to utterly crush into the ground whatever resistance there was.
The seizures were because he had visions, not because of light. Otherwise, he wouldn't have had the visions before leaving Nostromo, and he had them before then.
Also, I don't know where this "we use lots of Raptors and bikes" came from, as well as the "not many tanks". If anything, I can imagine the Night Lords using heaps of super-heavies, to really demoralise the foe. We aren't a mix of White Scars and Raven Guard, we're the Night Lords dammit! We use everything we have to crush the enemy, which includes tanks, massed infantry, nukes, etc. The only thing we don't really use is Chaos, but many of the more power-hungry Night Lords who came from the criminal underclass of Nostromo just want to get power, and Chaos is an easy route to power...

Eulenspiegel
11-06-2008, 07:31
Lord of Night is an excellent piece of background for the Night Lords.

Besides describing the only known Night Lords daemon prince, as Jobhug already said, it also shows the change of tactics from the ancient pre-Heresy Lords to the current ones.

Then they struck in isolated, tactically important spots, not giving their enemies a clear view of their attackers. They utterly crushed their opponents, while making sure there were survivors to tell horrifying tales of half-seen monsters. Or they left an abbattoir of mutilated corpses, to make a statement to arriving relief forces.

Only when an opponent´s morale was in shreds, they would attack on a larger scale.

Pre-Heresy Night Lords used their tactics to crush the morale of opponents they are about to fight.

These day´s Night Lords, who have all but fallen to Chaos seem to take scare tactics more directly. They jump out of the skies, whooping and screaming.

They destroy the morale of those they are just fighting.

Sorry for the off-topic :cool: