PDA

View Full Version : goblin/night goblin hero options

Urgat
07-06-2008, 21:05
Ok, so with our current armybook, when it's stated "goblin", it is supposed to mean any kind, right? So, can I take it that when it says that a goblin boss/warboss/great shaman/whatever may ride a wolf or a wolf charriot, it means that this apply to the night goblin versions too?

Lost_In_Lustria
07-06-2008, 21:31
Not got the army book to hand, but would have thought that if Night Goblin bosses/shamans could ride in chariots, it would be clearly stated in their entry.

Urgat
07-06-2008, 22:55
It's the same entry for both kinds.

Laurela
07-06-2008, 23:18
Nope, when it says goblin it generally just means the common goblin. At least thats always been the way I've played it.

Tuch
08-06-2008, 00:24
Under Shiny Stuff it says that if a item is restricted to Night Goblins only it will say so, otherwise Goblins means all Goblins. Why this wouldn't be the same for mounts such as the chariot I'm not sure.

Though under lord level Goblins it does seem to be that they make a distinction between the two types and what they can ride. Unless riding the Cave Squig is solely for Night Goblins where as any Goblin could ride the other mounts.

Frankly, unless your opponents are Elves (Goblins fear them) or Dwarves (Night Goblins hate them) I don't see anyone caring if you choose to have a hero with 1 less leadership on a mount that is questionable. I am sure some RAW fanatic will give you a ton of reasons why you can't though.

Gobbo Lord
08-06-2008, 00:33
Under Shiny Stuff it does say that Goblin refers to all Goblin Species and if for Night Goblins only it state so under the items name.

However i think that this is a case of common sense coming into play. Under the character selection it says a goblin may ride a wolf or wolf chariot or gigantic spider whereas a night goblin may ride a great cave squig. It makes a distinct difference between the two.

Looking at each sub species other troop types it become aparent what the author intended. Night Goblins have Squigs. Goblins have wolf chariots and wolf riders. You can not buy for example a night goblin wolf chariot, or common goblin squig hoppers.

Its a case of fluff and army sense, what use would a wolf chariot be to a night goblin in his dank dark caves...

Condottiere
08-06-2008, 04:23
IIRC, in a long forgotten past, it used to be Forest Goblins that rode Giant Spiders.:eyebrows:

Lord Aries
08-06-2008, 04:55
For mounts and stuff... NO... you cannot have a night goblins on a chariot or wolf. It is very specific. Its so specific, that if you tried something like that in a tournament, we would DQ you.

For magic items, night goblins can take items for goblins and for night goblins, but normal goblins cannot take items for night goblins. Its an advantage for being a NG.

Nurgling Chieftain
08-06-2008, 05:59
I think the RaI is as Lord Aries said, they really do seem to distinguish between Goblin Big Boss and Night Goblin Big Boss in that paragraph. The problem is, by making "Goblin Big Boss" and "Night Goblin Big Boss" both types of "Goblin Big Boss" they left themselves no way to specify the Goblin Big Boss who's not a Night Goblin.

I wouldn't do it myself, but I'd find it very difficult to argue if someone brought a Night Goblin in a chariot.

Braad
08-06-2008, 06:18
Yeah, I noticed it yesterday too. It would have been clearer if they called it Common goblin, and sticked to it.

Anyway, the armylist gives you the option for two distinct heroes: "goblin big boss" and "night goblin big boss" and options to choose for them, some restricted to the name given. The list of characters has specifically a "goblin big boss" and not a "common goblin big boss", so I don't see why options named exactly the same would also apply to other.
And since the list applies to the two heroes mentioned next to it, I don't think people will take it if you start referring to the magic items section and the explaining text in the magic item section only tells you how to handle the selection of magic items, not how to select equipment options for bosses..

Faustburg
08-06-2008, 08:16
Frankly, unless your opponents are Elves (Goblins fear them) or Dwarves (Night Goblins hate them) I don't see anyone caring if you choose to have a hero with 1 less leadership on a mount that is questionable. I am sure some RAW fanatic will give you a ton of reasons why you can't though.

Since it is obvious what the intent is, the RAW fanatics would be the ones wanting to allow it, not ban it...

...and even then, it's not RAW as you have to make assumptions and cross references...

Urgat
08-06-2008, 09:24
Its a case of fluff and army sense, what use would a wolf chariot be to a night goblin in his dank dark caves...

I got that giant scorpion model, and I thought it'd make a great mount for a night goblin character, that's pretty much all there is to it.
I know fluff has already been towards night gobs not having wolves and spiders, but for once, it would have been handy :p

Condottieri: Yeah, but they brought back the giant spider, and not the forest goblin characters. Well, since common and forest goblins character used to be exactly the same (yes, gear too), and the model is clearly that of a forest goblin hero, I think they just didn't put "forest" in there out of lazyness. Wasn't so hard to write the entry as "goblin/forest goblin boss", but whatever.

Gobbo Lord
08-06-2008, 10:16
I got that giant scorpion model, and I thought it'd make a great mount for a night goblin character, that's pretty much all there is to it.
I know fluff has already been towards night gobs not having wolves and spiders, but for once, it would have been handy

Ah well in that case i say go for it. A night goblin on giant scorpian sounds cool. Id just use a night goblin big boss and buy him a gigantic spider mount and explain to my opponent what id done and if it was ok etc before the battle. At a tournament you may have a problem but the idea is awsome and imo, your paying 5 less points for a character with a point less of leadership, so it put you at a disadvantage.

IIRC, in a long forgotten past, it used to be Forest Goblins that rode Giant Spiders.

True in 4th edition it was forest goblins that rode giant spiders. However the character mount of the Gigantic Spider, as all mounstrous mounts in that edition, was avaliable to all goblin characters. It just suited the forest goblin theme more. But interestingly the figure Maurauder produced for it was a Common Goblin (See 4th/5th edition army book battle report Gorblum the Magnificent).

Ona side note, why doesnt the Gigantic Spider cause fear. I thought this was silly when i read the book, then i got the model and thought. A high elf lion causes fear but that monstrosity doesn't. Do the occupants of the Warhammer World know something we dont?

alextroy
08-06-2008, 16:21
Why not just take a Goblin Warboss on Spider and use a Night Goblin on the Scorpion model for him? Just be clear to your opponent what it is.

Urgat
08-06-2008, 17:32
That's plan B. Plan A was to use things as they are. Actually, my scorpion is a charriot, but that doesn't change anything regarding the problem at hand. Well never mind anyway.

Tuch
08-06-2008, 18:28
Why not just take a Goblin Warboss on Spider and use a Night Goblin on the Scorpion model for him? Just be clear to your opponent what it is.

This is exactly what I do for all my Forrest Goblin Spider Riders. I've throw the Forrest Goblins away and mounted the BFSP Night Goblins on them (I just cut off their feet and it looks like their robes are are covering them up). Ala Spider Rider rules for a cool looking Night Goblin model.

Condottiere
09-06-2008, 07:41
This is exactly what I do for all my Forrest Goblin Spider Riders. I've throw the Forrest Goblins away and mounted the BFSP Night Goblins on them (I just cut off their feet and it looks like their robes are are covering them up). Ala Spider Rider rules for a cool looking Night Goblin model.

Would this make them Desert Goblins? I'm not too familiar with the geography of Araby.;)