PDA

View Full Version : Tactical use of bloodcrushers?

Malorian
07-06-2008, 23:49
I was always worried about bloodcrushers, and then yesterday I faced them.

They look tough and they have a good number of attacks, but they are only T4 with a 4+ save... if they take any attacks back they just go down. It almost seems only the heralds on jugers are worth it.

So am I missing something? Or are they really just glass hammers?

Xaskus
08-06-2008, 00:05
I find with mine ( 3 with a standard bearer with the +d6 movement banner accompanied by a herald) that I get into combat ASAFP and just keep going or they just get shot up. I miss the toughness 5 from Storm of Chaos.

Freak Ona Leash
08-06-2008, 00:11
It seems they are in fact a glass hammer. Nothing wrong with that really. Just dont go sending them off after things that have the chance of hitting back hard like...well, Swordmasters. And anything with ASF really. Unless it is like archers or Silver Helms, because they are balls.

Tuch
08-06-2008, 00:32
This is the reason I only field the cheaper Fleshhounds. 5 hounds do nearly the same thing as 3 Bloodcrushers, move faster (ok just 1" but still), and aren't quite the same missile magnet.

skank
08-06-2008, 00:37
i'm likeing single juggers, they are very manouverable and pretty fast. They sometimes get in under the radar to kill shooters fastcav etc and can be joined by a herald/jugger to break ranks.

A single bloodcrusher is quite cheap as an expendable asset.

Pavic
08-06-2008, 00:49
This is the reason I only field the cheaper Fleshhounds. 5 hounds do nearly the same thing as 3 Bloodcrushers, move faster (ok just 1" but still), and aren't quite the same missile magnet.

I think that as people see flesh hounds more and more, they will become a significant missle magnet.

On topic, the few times I have faced bloodcrushers, they have been pretty underwhelming. It's too bad they don't have a 2+ AS.

The_Dark_Lord
08-06-2008, 17:58
they are only T4 with a 4+ save...

make that a 4+ save and combined with daemonic aura is basically better in some respects than a 3+ save.

my mistake :)

stampy
08-06-2008, 18:01
How is it a 3+ save?

Lord Inquisitor
08-06-2008, 18:11
A 4+ and 5+ double save corresponds exactly to a 3+ armour save.

Assuming no armour save modifiers:

Probability of failing a 3+ save P=0.333
Probability of failing both a 4+ save and a 5+ save P=0.5*0.666=0.333

stampy
08-06-2008, 18:39
the guy above me claims that the bloodcrusher has a 3+ save AND then the dameonic ward save

sulla
08-06-2008, 18:43
So am I missing something? Or are they really just glass hammers?

'crushers are fragile (like most of the daemon list), expensive armour crackers. Their best use is vs knights. For infantry, you are usually better off with flesh hounds.

By far the best use for bloodcrusher models is as heralds with s7 flaming attacks and 0+ armour saves to boost your bloodletters. :evilgrin: