PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen saurus help

XMcCourtX
08-06-2008, 15:20
Just looking to get some help starting a lizardmen army for Warhammer having only ever played 40K.

I picked up a lizardmen battalion box, lizardmen saurus regiment box and a saurus scar-veteran
I was just looking for some help with an army list with what I have at the moment.
Any help would be good.

Can anyone shed light on the benefit of giving lizard men saurus Spears?
From what I've read they lose an attack,(going from 2 attack down to 1) so it seems to be better to give them shield and a close combat weapon.

Any help would either of those would be great.
Thanks,
McCourt

Cycorax
08-06-2008, 15:33
Well, i think the battalions a great choice. Most people dont use saurus cavalry though as they can be hard to get their points back, but used correctly they can smash any unit.

Giving saurus spears is usually overlooked simply because while you get that extra 5 attacks from the back (the front rank still gets 2) your saurus are left more vulnerable and will die easier when using spears. So its generally better to just use the hand weapon and save some points.

With what you have at the moment you could squeeze out a 1000pt army but it would lack magic and other great units that will complement your force greatly (Sallys, terradons and kroxigors!). Soon you'll find you'll want some more skinks, 24 is good but 30 is quite a lot better. Units of 13 skinks will mean they need to kill 1 more skink to inflict the panic test, which skinks almost always fail even though they are cold blooded. If you find yourself confused about how to equipt your skinks you can always do what i do, give your scout blowpipes and your screeners the javelin/shield combo. The screen wont die quite so easy and they will be on the move more so the thrown weapon rules are useful in this situation.

Hope some of that helped :D, I'll try and answer any other questions you have.

Loopstah
08-06-2008, 16:06
Can anyone shed light on the benefit of giving lizard men saurus Spears?
From what I've read they lose an attack,(going from 2 attack down to 1) so it seems to be better to give them shield and a close combat weapon.

Only the Saurus in the second row go down to 1 attack with spears. The ones in the front row still get 2 attacks.

Feefait
09-06-2008, 12:36
I am a big fan of saurus, but a lot of people aren't I find going 6 across with them is great. And it makes spears more sueful. If you are going for an aggressive attack block, or 5 wide I'd go with just hand weapons. Add spawning of Quetzl to give them a 3+ hth save. I use skinks and TG depending on points to fill up regular choices. My specials are usually saurus. Rare I would start with Salamanders if you can and then add the risky stegadon.

Lordmonkey
09-06-2008, 12:52
It depends what you need to use them for, and how you want to deploy them.

If you want to maximise damage output, deploy 6 wide and arm with spears.

If you want to maximise damage mitigation and generate more static combat resolution, go with hand weapons and deploy 5 wide.

N810
09-06-2008, 19:30
(2x5 formation) without spears 10 attacks
(2x5 formation) with spears 15 attacks

(2x6 formation) without spears 12 attacks
(2x6 formation) with spears 18 attacks

Nurgling Chieftain
09-06-2008, 19:42
(2x5 formation) without spears 10 attacks
(2x5 formation) with spears 15 attacksOr, as I like to put it:
(2x5 formation, 3 guys die before attacking) without spears 4 attacks
(2x5 formation, 4 guys die before attacking - worse save) with spears 7 attacks (...Or is it 11?)

Here's my question: per the RaW, each model that dies in HtH is removed from the rear. For each model that dies, one model does not get to strike back. ...Is there any RULES reason why that model can't be a guy attacking with a spear from the second rank? I.e., lose one attack instead of 2?

Loopstah
09-06-2008, 20:27
Here's my question: per the RaW, each model that dies in HtH is removed from the rear. For each model that dies, one model does not get to strike back. ...Is there any RULES reason why that model can't be a guy attacking with a spear from the second rank? I.e., lose one attack instead of 2?

Because the ones that die are the ones in the front rank. You remove the ones from the rear as all the models shuffle forwards to take the place of the fallen.

The rules state that the models stepping forwards can't attack.

Lordmonkey
09-06-2008, 22:59
Here's my question: per the RaW, each model that dies in HtH is removed from the rear.

No, they state that the model in the front (read: in contact with the enemy) is killed. The rear models are removed simply for convenience.

So the answer to the question would be: You would get your second rank of spearmen(lizards?) with a single attack each, as well as any front rank survivors with 2 attacks each.

Condottiere
10-06-2008, 03:30
No, they state that the model in the front (read: in contact with the enemy) is killed. The rear models are removed simply for convenience.

So the answer to the question would be: You would get your second rank of spearmen(lizards?) with a single attack each, as well as any front rank survivors with 2 attacks each.

That's an interesting question.

The answer might be no, because the models in the second rank were only prepared to thrust once this round. This wouldn't be in question if the model was a character, since a character can use his full set of attacks.:eyebrows:

N810
10-06-2008, 03:40
The question I have is after you remove casualties, do you...

A) move replacement forward then attack.
or
B) attack then move replacements forward.

kroq'gar
10-06-2008, 03:44
Whilst espensive, i give mine spears (whats 50 points for a twice blessed regiment of 25 saurus).

Remember- you dont lose your HTH weapon with spears. SO you gain the option of the 4+ save or of the attacks, making the regiment much more versatile.

Spears are brilliant against highelves.

Edit: in the above. You resolve the combat COMPLETELY, removing casualties on both sides, then you 'redress the ranks' ie the models shuffle forwards.