PDA

View Full Version : Savage Orcs and their abilities

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
08-06-2008, 19:00
I'm not very certain on where to post this, so i'll make it as general as possible ;)

I have been wondering (pondering even) how one is supposed to use savage orcs (on foot). Do they serve me well in blocks of 20-25 with full command and spears? Or are they a very useful flanker in units of ten with 2nd choppas?

And how the eff do i get them in plastic? (conversion tips wanted, i was thinking slightly less-dressed regular boyz with tonnes of war paint)

Suggestions? :cool:

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-06-2008, 19:02
Im putting together a total Savage Orc army.

I'm sticking with 2 HWs, as it's easier, and they will mince pretty much anything they come up against (barring Swordmasters, who instead get to play with the frenzied Wyvern carrying my lord)

As for plastic, been wondering that myself. There is another company that does Resin ones, but they just didn't do it for me, hence me buying up Metal ones.

Thought I should expand...

Spears don't make a great deal of sense for Nutty Boyz. You see, with 2HW, I get three attacks per Boy, with +1S in the first round of combat, regardless who charged. Compare the 2 attacks each with no strength bonus of Spears when you charge, and 2 Choppas is a better option. And as for Shields, well, Panzee Elves have shields...wot self respecting nut job wants to copy a Pansy?

P.S. Savage Orc Big'Un Boarboyz are a laugh armed with Spears! :)

Gazak Blacktoof
08-06-2008, 21:56
I use a single unit in my army. 20-25 with two choppas.

In the game I played this afternoon my unit of 20 completely fluffed their attacks charging in against a brettonian lance and would have been bounced by the unit's hero if I hadn't flanked them with boar boyz (who also fluffed their attacks- I scored zero kills between the two :confused:).

I'm not sure that savages are my favourite unit, they are glorious when they work but as their efforts proved this afternoon an extra unit in the flank usualy serves me better than the points for additional attacks.

Where savages really pay off is their ability to ignore psychology. You can bet that in an army including as much fast cavalry as my greenskins do they'll get into a combat to swing their choppas even when normal boyz might panic.

semersonp
08-06-2008, 22:22
I personally use one unit of 30 Savage Orc Big 'Uns @ 2250... 6 wide by 5 deep...

They are a buzzsaw in combat with three 4/5 attacks per model with a frontage of six... that's 19 of those with a champ in the unit and I usually plop my Warboss into the unit for safekeeping... being immune to psychology is never a bad thing...

Give them 2 choppas... plus S and more attacks when charging is not to be missed...

I have found that 30 is the magic number for my Orc troop blocks, but 25 would be fine as well... their ward save helps an odd amount too... its great that they get the save for no other reason than the fact they fervently believe it protects them :)

They don't come in plastic :( ... I used regular boy models for my Savage Orcs... like 1/3 of the price otherwise a unit of Savages is mad expensive... I just cut off any armor bits that the regular boys showed (helmets, kneepads, etc), gave them a 2nd choppa and added warpaint to 'em... no one has batted an eye, always recognize them for Savage Orcs and are surprised when I tell them how I made the unit...

Just be sure to screen them with a pump wagon, fast cav unit, etc so they dont get charge baited and you are golden with a big block of these amazingly cheap killing machines...

I have been using a Savage Orc Warboss with nothing but the Armor of Gork and a GW for some time now... five 6/7 attacks are deadly and having a toughness equal to that of a steam tank is just happy-making...

go orcs!

Gobbo Lord
08-06-2008, 23:30
Some one on here had a link to some awsome conversions of them out of the plastic boyz once, they had wolf and boar heads as part of the hoods to some greenstuffed cloaks. They looked really good. If you could find them and copy the style they are the best ive seen.

Shamfrit
08-06-2008, 23:49
In my opinion, it takes a damned good player to use frenzied troops effectively. That being said, if you can anvil them into something with a combination of luck, Waaagh and brute force they are more or less the best infantry in the Orc & Goblin army, stronger and deadlier than Black Orcs, and twice as dirty.

Imagine a cheaper version of Blood Knights in respect to the Savage Orc Boar Boyz, and use all the same tricks and you should see some very pleasant results as they hit hard. Invest in Big 'Unz once in a while too, then they're pretty much Blood Knights with a worse save.

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
09-06-2008, 06:18
Thx for all the sweet replies people ! :)

I suspect i'll go for the plastic boyz with less armour and more warpaint idea as for the models, 2nd hand weapon is what they'll be carrying, most likely done so they seem to be made from bone :D

And yes, savage boar boyz are the roxx! Especially if you place a big boss with the pigstikka in the unit :evilgrin:

Mad Doc Grotsnik
09-06-2008, 10:21
You don't a Boss wiv a Pigstikka in your Boyz! Give it to a Shaman!

And give the other Shaman SKull Wand of Kaloth!

Kraal_Lord_Of_Blood
09-06-2008, 12:33
w00t? O.O
No wai!
Shammies are for woosies :p

Chadjabdoul
09-06-2008, 13:26
My savage orcs on foot are possibly my favourite unit in my army, and the one that has provided my with the most pleasant surprises in the past (bar the occasional enemy character killed by a lucky spearchucka shot).
Follow the classic orcy tactic of a nice big unit and you can't go far wrong. You might want to try adding a shaman with warpaint on, so he can cast besh'em lads on a single die roll. (Greater shamen with some protection -effigy of mork for example- are better since the unit is for combat, so you might want to do this only in games of 3.000 pts and more)

Armilthuan
09-06-2008, 13:36
I use a unit of 18/21 Big 'uns with a Savage Orc Great Shaman with Warpaint.

It works wonders. Flanked by two Night Goblin units with a Fanatic each and nets. The fanatics make sure the Orcs aren't being baited as much while the combination of nets and Savage Orcs is deadly.

Also, ItP is worth gold in an O&G army.